#262344 by lovetoholiday
17 Feb 2010, 11:55
Just read that the latest shuttle launch has been delayed to 5th April, which is when we will be in FL :-)
Anyone seen one take off ? Where is the best place to watch ?

Thanks
L2H
#737046 by McMaddog
17 Feb 2010, 12:09
Wow congrats. We headed along Challenger Memorial Parkway and at the end just parked up somewhere randon on the verge, left the car door open with the launch loud on the radio.
#737047 by AlecK
17 Feb 2010, 12:13
Great news we will be there too! I've seen 2 others go up, both while we were on disney property. It's not a a great view but at least you get to see it. I believe the best bet is to buy a launch ticket or just head out to Cocoa Beach/Canaveral area in the car, but beware the roads get mad busy !
#737058 by wheels
17 Feb 2010, 13:52
Titusville is the best place to see it for free. Anywhere along US1, just park up and head for the river bank. We were lucky enough to see a launch last August. Well worth trip. Beware you need to arrive a couple of hours before the launch and it took us over four hours to do the one hour drive back to Orlando.
#737059 by Bill S
17 Feb 2010, 13:57
By far the best view is from the Causeway.
This is where most of the media coverage is from. You have a clear view of the launchpad across the water.
It is only available with a VIP pass. They usually sell out within ONE minute of coming on sale. [:(]

The Causeway is by far the closest at ~6 miles. The next best place is the beach at Titusville but is at 12 miles - it is also very crowded so you need to get there early or be very tall. Although the visitor centre is only 7 miles away, you do NOT get a view of the launch site. You do 'feel' the noise but you will just be watching a big TV screen. Not recommended!

But there is still a way to get VIP passes! - take this tour.
Grayline have an arrangement with Kennedy. [:)]

The other big problem if you wish to go close is the traffic. Particularly now, as the shuttle programme nears it's end, there are enormous numbers of people trying to get a last view.
It can take 3-4 hours to get out of the area after the launch!
That is after you get out of the KSC car park (buses get priority!)
You probably will have to depart Orlando the evening before in order to get a good viewing position - so after a night in the car or on the beach you do not want a 4 hour traffic jam!

With the tour, you don't have to cope with the nose to tail traffic and trying to navigate around the jams! The tour drivers are all in radio communication as well as knowing all the back routes - you can just sleep through it!.
Last time we went (a night launch) we were back to Orlando within 2 hours - some friends who went in their own car took almost 6 hours!

This site will show photographs from the different locations.
The April launch is likely to be either night or just before dawn - the views from the Causeway are fantastic with the the reflections in the water.
Probably the last opportunity to see a shuttle night launch!

One disadvantage of the VIP tickets is there is no refund if the launch is cancelled.
You do get a repeat ticket for the next day at a low cost ($35) - provided the launch is not cancelled in the last hour or so.(when you will already have been taken to the causeway). See the T&Cs!

I'm afraid I'm hoping STS131 is delayed another 5 days - then I'll get to see that one as well as possibly the May launch.

If you get to see it from the Causeway, you'll probably remember it as the best $100 you've ever spent!
#737061 by Guest
17 Feb 2010, 14:09
We saw it a couple of years ago just on a side road - parked up about 5 mins before take off, great view and noise (but the alligates all went mad) got back in the car and drove back. Traffic was fine both ways. It is something you MUST see if you can - amazing and not many more chances to see one (in our lifetime)
#737083 by lovetoholiday
17 Feb 2010, 15:59
Wow, thanks everyone. I think Titusville sounds like a good place to be. Luckily we will probably still be on UK time so can be up nice and early to head that way.
Can't wait, am praying its not delayed again

L2H
#740546 by CHill710
24 Mar 2010, 18:07
:( i go to Orlando on April the 8th so i still miss it by a couple of days.
Virgin Atlantic