#747880 by Tinkerbelle
12 Jun 2010, 14:40
I had always wondered what had happened to River Country when it closed down. Turns out it is still there in WDW and slowly rotting away. It's sad to see a park in an abandoned state like this.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2344523
#747884 by stevebrass
12 Jun 2010, 15:18
We went there in 2001 - it was a bit of a poor relation to Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon but it had a certain charm.

I am sure Disney will make some use of it when times are economically apt.
#747886 by David
12 Jun 2010, 16:20
Walked past the boundry fence last week. It looked pretty sad all overgrown.

I think it was closed because it used water from Bay Lake, or something like that and there was issues with "beasties" in the water.

David
#747919 by RichardMannion
13 Jun 2010, 10:20
Thanks Tinks! Saw those photos a while ago and it is sad - I really liked River Country; yes it was smaller and quieter than the other two water parks, but that was all part of its charm.

David is correct, it closed due to issues with the water.
#747946 by Treelo
13 Jun 2010, 15:44
RichardMannion wrote:Thanks Tinks! Saw those photos a while ago and it is sad - I really liked River Country; yes it was smaller and quieter than the other two water parks, but that was all part of its charm.

David is correct, it closed due to issues with the water.

Totally agree Richard. We loved River Country and used it many times before the demise - I think the size and (perceived) solitude was what gave it it's character. Shame about the problem which caused the closure :#
#747947 by David
13 Jun 2010, 15:54
There were rumors that it was going to be reopened as a DVC water park, but I guess they would still have the same issues with the water quality.

Bit of a shame, but a little strange it's just been "abandoned" and not demolished so I suppose you can never say never.

Would have thought a lot of the stagnent water would attract the dreaded mosquitos.

David
Virgin Atlantic