#759459 by Concorde RIP
09 Nov 2010, 16:50
Hi all,

Am seriously considering spending the holiday period in WDW Orlando, either 2011 or 2012 - my daughter will be 9 next year, and I doubt she'll still believe!

So, looking for any advice/tips on this.

Firstly, is it a really bad idea? (Too busy, not worth the premium I'm sure I'll pay etc)???

What actually goes on - aare the parks open xmas day etc? Restricted attractions open? Do I need specific tickets and so on - do they have "parties" that you also need extra tickets for?

How about the resorts - I normally stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but have been seriously looking at the small Hilton right near to Downtown Disney - any thoughts/advice?

Thanks in advance for all the wise words I'm sure will follow...
#759465 by David
09 Nov 2010, 17:24
Never been over Christmas but have been at New Year a few times - there is nothing really "extra" special happens at New Year, its usually pretty quiet but can be very cold for Florida.

The Hilton at Downtown Disney is OK for a couple of days but there are many better places for a longer stay.

David
#759469 by Concorde RIP
09 Nov 2010, 17:48
David wrote:The Hilton at Downtown Disney is OK for a couple of days but there are many better places for a longer stay.

Hi David, Thanks for your reply.

Interested by this comment - what other recommendations would you make for accommodation? My parameters are: Don't drive so need regular/convenient transport to/from parks, and obviously, not too far away,. I don't want to be in a massive resort either, where I need to walk for miles just to get from my part of the resort to bus stops/eateries etc.
#759471 by CHill710
09 Nov 2010, 18:17
David wrote:Never been over Christmas but have been at New Year a few times - there is nothing really "extra" special happens at New Year, its usually pretty quiet but can be very cold for Florida.

i have also spent New Year in Disney. as David says there is nothing unusually special other than an extra fireworks display at midnight in the Magic Kingdom.
I have found on the 2 occasions i have been in Orlando for this that the parks can get very busy on new years eve but new years day the que times are very short and it is very quiet.
#759518 by buns
10 Nov 2010, 05:30
Flights will be extremely busy (and therefore not cheap :(! ) at that time of the year.

Expect the Theme Parks to be busy as well - as David says, Florida can be changeable at that time of the year.

If you do plan to go, just bear in mind that you won't be the only ones there and it will be unlikely to be as "magical" as your previous experiences

buns
#759530 by Concorde RIP
10 Nov 2010, 11:12
Thanks all - you've kind of confirmed what I suspected might be the case.

Have a feeling, as Buns says, it won't be as "magical" as one would wish.....and the point about the weather is well made and may well be the clincher for me!

Not the best idea then, probably.

Thanks all.
#759532 by HighFlyer
10 Nov 2010, 11:34
We were at Disneyland CA one New Year. As other posters have said, nothing hugely special other than extra fireworks at midnight to celebrate so the parks will stay open late on the night. The crowds at Magic Kingdom were horrendous, really really busy. We went to the California Adventure park about 9/10pm as it was quieter and we could still see the fireworks.
#759607 by Becca1007
11 Nov 2010, 00:35
I spent Christmas 3 years ago at WDW. There are no particular extra events as everyone has said, however all the resorts and parks are dressed up in holiday decorations.

We found that going to the park early in the day on Christmas it was less crowded than the days before and after as many people slept in/opened presents etc. We had our fancy "Christmas" dinner on Christmas eve outside of the park (actually at Emeril's which is at Universal Studios) and then on Christmas day we ate inside the park at the fast food places as most of the seated restaurants were quite busy.
Virgin Atlantic