#766307 by fadedaway
03 Feb 2011, 22:11
Going to Disney World next week and, considering we are staying in the Animal Kingdom Lodge hotel, imagine we'll spend a fair bit of time in the Animal Kingdom park.

My question is about Expedition Everest. My daughter is 6 and reasonably adventurous (no issues with Vampire, Loggers Leap, Dragon Falls, etc, but went on Crush's Coaster and didn't particularly like it). From reading descriptions, not sure whether it is suitable for her or not (okay from a height perspective but recommended for over 7's).

Has anyone been on it? If so, any thoughts?
#766309 by Tinkerbelle
03 Feb 2011, 22:17
Yes I've been on the ride and loved it - it actually was the only bit of Animal Kingdom that I enjoyed.

If your daughter has been on the Vampire, I can imagine that Expedition Everest will be no problem at all. Have you been on Big Thunder Mountain as I remember the two rides being very similar except for the backwards section on EE.
#766312 by Neil
03 Feb 2011, 22:29
EE is a great ride and i have seen lots if young children on it. As long as she is tall enough then I can't see why she wouldn't like it. As Tink has said, it is just a slightly quicker and more extreme version of the runaway mine train.
#766318 by fadedaway
03 Feb 2011, 22:35
She hasn't been on Big Thunder Mountain but loves runaway mine type rides so don't think that will be a problem.

Out of interest, why didn't you enjoy the rest of AK? Are the other main rides not particularly good?
#766322 by CHill710
03 Feb 2011, 22:48
i do not really like the animal kingdom as i am not in to wildlife and animals.
i did however enjoy it's tough to be a bug, and the rapids.
I would have liked to ride everest if the Que was shorter and/or my family would ride or wait for me to ride.
#766326 by Tinkerbelle
03 Feb 2011, 22:57
fadedaway wrote:She hasn't been on Big Thunder Mountain but loves runaway mine type rides so don't think that will be a problem.

Out of interest, why didn't you enjoy the rest of AK? Are the other main rides not particularly good?

I was really bored. There aren't too many other rides. From what I remember there are the Rapids, Dinosaur and Primeval Whirl (the last two of which make me want to be sick :$ due to the motion). Once I'd done Kilimanjaro Safari, that was pretty much it. I'm not a huge animal person hence why I spent most of the day on Expedition Everest.
#766329 by northernhenry
03 Feb 2011, 23:10
I'd bung some spare clothes in a bag if you're going on the Rapids...you get wet, very wet!
EE is fast and a large proportion backwards in the dark..the height issue might be your decider - suggest do it later in the day so as not to spook her out for the rest of the day if it turns out to be too much..Big thunder in Magic Kingdom as mentioned prob best comparison to EE
Things like Bugs life are worthy fun to calm down afterwards and not far from it...
#766331 by Luke085
03 Feb 2011, 23:14
The rapids are great! Also your daughter will love Expedition Everest, it's such a unique ride, I ended up going on it 3 times in a row!!

Finally, it is Disney so it's always a magical experience

Check out "it's tough to be a bug" bugs life show!

Luke
#766335 by Tinkerbelle
03 Feb 2011, 23:28
If you're staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, another idea is to do the rapids just before heading back to the hotel. That way you won't be in wet clothes for too long and it saves you from carrying any spare clothes around with you all day.
#766339 by Paulhat
03 Feb 2011, 23:58
I would suggest you think twice about going on the rapids if it is a cool day as the odds are you will get drenched.
EE if definitly the best ride in AK, get a lot of G forces!
P.S. you can't beat Tower of Terror in Disney Studios! :D
Paul
#766360 by Ianf71
04 Feb 2011, 02:13
I have only ever been to Animal Kingdom once and was left completely underwhelmed by it. Loved the animal part but thought all the attractions lacked something, including EE which was a complete let-down. And we must have been the only raft that ever went down the rapids and didn't get wet - one American wag noting as we got off that there were more turbulent water when they farted in the bathtub!

Tower of Terror is by a long way the best attraction Disney has - followed by Soarin'
#766367 by Neil
04 Feb 2011, 08:56
Ianf71 wrote:
Tower of Terror is by a long way the best attraction Disney has - followed by Soarin'

First part I agree with, but I find Soarin sooooo boring ][|)

I agree with Tink that AK is short on actual rides, but I still think it is an excellent park and lots to do. The Lion King show is very very good, and some of the 'nature' trails are really interesting. One tip though, avoid Rafiki's Planet watch, now that is boring.

A good tip is to get the Safari done early, not only because the queues will be shorter, but the animals are more active before the sun and temperatures really warm up.

It's my #3 Disney park, but still a good day out.
#766380 by Concorde RIP
04 Feb 2011, 11:49
I've spent loads of time in Animal Kingdom, and have stayed at the Animal Kingdom lodge twice (a third time this year).

On the rides:-
The rapids - to echo others, you'll get soaked, I mean soaked, not just splashed!

Expedition Everest, I'd say is comparable with the run away mine train thing, but just a little more intense, especially during the backwards bit - the G-force is quite high.
My daughter first went on when she was 6 and absolutely loved it, so I think you'll be ok. The suggestion to do later in the day is a good one, just in case she really doesn't like it for any reasons.

With rides like that, I used to tell my daughter that Disney are always having jokes and playing tricks on everyone - she liked that, and therefore knew that everything was just pretend and meant to be enjoyed.

The safari is really great - in genral, AK is great for kids. Make sure you do the safari early or late - it's cooler then, and you'll see more animals out and about.

The Finding Nemo show is absolutely fantastic as well - that's a must with children.

Only other bit of advice I'd give on AK is that you inevitably do a lot of walking - it's very much hub/spoke, so you tend to do a ride, then walk back to the hub and out again - gets a bit much after a while, so plan things a little I'd suggest. It can also get really stuffy during the day, for some reason more than other parks, so maybe book a lunch in the air con - Yak and Teti restaurant is really nice.

Oh yes - the "flights of wonder" show is excellent as well - my daughter has seen it 10 times or more now, and is totally captivated by it each time.

There's more to do in AK, especially for kids, and especially for kids that are interested in wildlife/animals, than people think!

Also, if you want any info on the Animal Kingdom Lodge etc, let me know.
#766440 by fadedaway
04 Feb 2011, 22:31
Thanks everyone for all of the feedback. Really looking forward to EE now and sure my daughter is going to love it. Thanks also for the warning about the rapids. 2 more days to go....awesome.
Virgin Atlantic