#768352 by David
19 Feb 2011, 18:04
There seems to be a few of us going on the next trip to the sunshine state and I thought it might be easier to book a villa.

I thought we had a section where villa owners advertised but can't find it ?| was it on the old site?

thanks

David
#768359 by maz
19 Feb 2011, 19:35
If nothing comes up here, take a look at the The Dibb. There are plenty on there and many are actual posters so you kind of feel a little more confident booking. Just like you would on here of course, if you get the info you want!
#768411 by spiceke
20 Feb 2011, 15:16
As an ex owner I would suggest VRBO and villas2000.

Also, if you know what community you want to go to you may find that they have set up their own web page for rental.

Whatever you do, do not book via a tour company - they are extortionate.
#768601 by David
22 Feb 2011, 11:39
Thanks for all the links - the problem with hotel availability is "spring break" which leaves a villa as the sensible option.

The issue with a villa is there is too much choice - :? - the things you have to do to keep everyone happy :D

David
#768604 by Neil
22 Feb 2011, 11:47
I agree with the too much choice thing. We spent ages the first time looking at lists of villas, all with very similar features and prices. We were lucky we found a great one, which we have used 6 times now and have 2 more stays booked, better the devil you know we think.
#768605 by Luke085
22 Feb 2011, 11:57
Neil wrote:I agree with the too much choice thing. We spent ages the first time looking at lists of villas, all with very similar features and prices. We were lucky we found a great one, which we have used 6 times now and have 2 more stays booked, better the devil you know we think.

Agree completely Neil - I think once you've gotten over the initial stage of finding the right villa, you tend to stick with it, if it suits!

I've been going back to the same villa, year after year and it's perfect!

One day, I hope to buy one! Not that they make any money, but as a home away from home :D
#768627 by Neil
22 Feb 2011, 16:41
Just to say I have had to remove a couple of posts from this thread. We don't allow any personal advertising on the site, so can we please not promote or link to any specific villa.

Thanks,
Neil
#768643 by Hev60
22 Feb 2011, 18:01
David,

I've been renting villas in Orlando every year since 1990 and during this time the choice of Communities has become enormous.

I've probably used nearly all the site-links you've been given and have been totally satisfied each time. I must say I prefer to deal with an English owner, simply just because it makes it so much easier from a financial angle.

At the top of our list is always the location of the villa. If you are doing Disney, then its important IMHO to be as near as poss. So many owners advertise "near to Disney" which in truth can often mean 20+ miles away and travelling to & from in traffic with excitable kids and adults, is no fun. You might have to pay a few hundred pounds more to be close to the Orlando attractions but the pay back is cutting down travelling.

You might also want to take a look at the Resort-type self catering accommodations which have sprung up over the past couple of years. You don't get your own pool but there is always a large community pool and also other activities like a club house etc. We stayed at one of these places last summer for a few days - it had three bedrooms, 2bathrooms, beautiful kitchen & lounge. We did Universal & Sea World from there and then moved to a villa right close to the Disney parks. Action reply in a few weeks - can't wait. Enjoy, whatever you decide. :)
#768812 by catsilversword
24 Feb 2011, 06:55
Friends of ours have just been told their rental for a villa in the Clearwater area has been cancelled!!! Their booking was for mid-July, for a family holiday from various areas - they're now desperately trying to find something suitable as they have flights booked etc. They've been told that the owner has 'just realised' the minimum rental is 6 months!!!

I kind of feel responsible, as I was the one who suggested homeaway.com - but have used the site myself lots and lots of times and have always been happy. How can a renter not know about zoning restrictions, indeed CAN the renter not know? I've sometimes seen minimum rental periods for some properties - surely it's something an owner would find out beforehand? The site is still showing the property solidly booked for most of the year.
#768821 by hiljil
24 Feb 2011, 11:04
I was going to post a warning about booking just with the owner. I have known 3 groups whose villa holidays were cancelled after they had all the flights etc booked. I know it may be more expensive, but I always book with a company for peace of mind as they are duty bound to find you another property and - as has happened to me - sometimes it turns out to be a superior villa. I only book with companies that have named properties.
#768823 by Neil
24 Feb 2011, 11:34
hiljil wrote:I was going to post a warning about booking just with the owner. I have known 3 groups whose villa holidays were cancelled after they had all the flights etc booked. I know it may be more expensive, but I always book with a company for peace of mind as they are duty bound to find you another property and - as has happened to me - sometimes it turns out to be a superior villa. I only book with companies that have named properties.

I have to disagree a little there. I know what you are saying, but I much prefer dealing direct with an owner.

We may have been lucky and found ourselves a great villa with great owners, but the service is so personal. They sort problems out instantly, are always on hand with help or advice before, because we book with them on regular basis we get discount or free things thrown in, early check in/late check out. Of course be careful, but speak to them before hand, read feedback but find the right ones, and your experience can be so much better.

Neil
#768838 by Bill S
24 Feb 2011, 14:46
Neil - absolutely right!
Always found that owners are most helpful.

The advantage is that UK renters are highly sought after.
Many US renters cancel last minute - which is why there are often really good last minute bargains.
UK renters have booked flights well in advance and very rarely cancel. They also are very likely to be repeat business. In general you will be offered much lower prices than you see advertised for US renters - particularly if you make it clear that you regularly visit Florida.
#768904 by catsilversword
25 Feb 2011, 09:24
Is that right, that UK renters are highly sought? I always pretty much discount owners who don't respond quickly - I've no idea if I'm right, but a slow response is enough to stop me going any further with a booking. From the other side though, I've sometimes had owners/companies call me when they've received my initial request, cos I suppose they also get crank queries!
#768908 by chumba
25 Feb 2011, 09:36
We had been going to the same villa for 7 years and always booked direct with the owner, as Neil said it's so personal, we know them and they know us, they always accommodate us for a late check out at no cost and even allowed us to leave some stuff at the villa in a locked cupboard as we went so regularly :)

Unfortunately they sold the villa last year so we looked elsewhere, we were very lucky and found another villa only 200 yards from the one we had used, and again book direct with the owner so can pay in pounds and also they take credit cards with no surcharge.

Absolutely lovely villa and using the owner lest us sort out issues direct instead of going through an agency who often have so many to sort out. Plus normally owners are looking to cover costs and not make lots of profit (IME) whereas agents and companies load profits on top of the owners rates.

We have already booked for the next 3 trips !

(happy to point you to their web site if you PM me)
#768984 by sunsational
25 Feb 2011, 22:46
As an owner for the past 7 years, I'm sorry to hear people find dealing with travel agents easier. Most agents have homes on their books who's owners are desperate for bookings, who are willing to receive such a low rates for the booking. I would never accept travel agent rates for my home.

Homes on agents books are no safer, as the homes may be in foreclosure or put up for sale without TA's knowing. I know a number of people who have not received the home they thought they were booking through the travel agents on arrival in Orlando.
Virgin Atlantic