#777251 by lovetoholiday
05 May 2011, 12:19
Hi

We have just booked flights to MCO for next Feb :) staying for just over 2 weeks. Having been once before we know we don't want to spend all our time in the parks so we need to build an itinerary further afield to have some relaxation time afterwards.
We are planning 7 nights in Orlando and will find a villa.
The rest of the time we would be happy in a hotel but would ideally like self catering.
Has anyone else done this and recommend where we should spend the rest of our time. We have a 4 year old travbelling with us and will hire a car for the 2 weeks. Looking at the gulf coast or maybe even the keys but understand thats a long drive. Happy to stop enroute if it's worth the journey.

Thanks
L2H
#777255 by stevebrass
05 May 2011, 13:18
Yep, Sarasota is very nice and an easy drive from Orlando.

Hotel wise the Hilton at Longboat Key is very nice (beach front location).

Lots of Villas in surrounding areas.
#777257 by Vikkicat
05 May 2011, 13:35
HI i went to florida in 2009 and spent 17 days there y) , 10 were in orlando and 7 in Indian Springs which is 1/2 way between St Pete's and Clearwater, it was lovely there. not busy, and if you stay at the HI Indian rocks with a condo room it has a kitchen front room ect and the blacony looks out to the estury and you can watch the dolphins ^) come and go. Its a lovely area, very quiet and the beach is unspoilt and really big. great for an unwind after the pace of central Orlando!
We were a party of 6, my parents (old age pentioners) me, my husband and 2 boys who were 2 1/2 and 6 years old and everyone thought it was great!

hope this helps
Vikki :)
#777261 by flabound
05 May 2011, 14:04
ok I may be able to help here, ahving been visiting for 20 odd years and now living 90 miles south of Tampa
first Feb can be a good month, its just starting to get warm although this year we did have some 'chilly' days. no rain though. so pack light and pick up sweats and jeans in a cheapy store.

definitely get a villa as it gives you so much more freedom and can be competitive against hotel rooms (plus you can do your own catering.

i would also recommend a villa if you come over to the Gulf coast. (if you need help finding one PM me and I can put you in touch with someone -no Im not on commission !!)

ok the GC. from Orlando ,Tampa is approx 1-1.25 hours straight along I4. its an easy drive.
you can then head north towards Port Richey,spring hill etc. downsides - not such good beaches and the weather will be cooler.
OR you can head south,
First stop down I75 is Sarasota which is a beautiful city has good night life, nice restaurants etc. its the more expensive area on the GC. Near to Sar, you have Siesta Key which is one of the most beautiful beaches you will ever see BUT it can get a bit busy.
OR you could drive another 45 mins south to what is still a relatively undiscovered area. Rotonda is near to Port Charlotte. from here you can be on a beach (Englewood or Boca ) within 15 mins. there are also shops and restaurants within 20 mins. it also has great golf if anyone in your party is interested. It is quieter than Sara and cheaper. its a great area to relax and chill.

i would define the difference as
Sarasota - busier/more to do and see/more exspensive
Rotonda - quieter more relaxed emptier beaches cheaper

as for the keys I havent been (yet) but yes its a huge drive and (so I am told) more Adult than child orientated. IMO the East coast beaches are inferior to the Gulf.

let me know if you need any more info

Pete
#777280 by RedVee
05 May 2011, 17:26
Lots and lots of villas on Rotunda and Cape Haze (where I've stayed 3 times). I can recommend http://www.floridagoldhomes.com (and I'm not on commission either). Very straightforward, lots of choice. Mark is the rental property manager.

Agree with what Flabound says, some lovely beaches around there and cheaper than the better known Sarasota.

Regards
R3dV
#777286 by thelaceys
05 May 2011, 18:09
We've been visiting Florida every year since 1996 and always stay on the Gulf Coast in Englewood.

Very quiet, very cheap, lovely quiet beaches and a good base to drive out to many places.

We stay at Palm Manor which is a small condominium complex you can take a look at http://www.palmmanor.com.

PM me if you like the look of this we have friends who rent their places out very reasonably. :D

thelaceys
#777295 by Hev60
05 May 2011, 19:20
Hi. I've just returned from Florida. We spent 12 days in a gulf-front apartment on North Redington Beach. Its much quieter there, being away from the busy Clearwater or StPetersburgh but it was such an easy drive to everywhere. We've always been to AnnaMaria Island or Longboat Key in the past but will return to this stretch of the coastline without hesitation. 8D
#777297 by mitchja
05 May 2011, 20:04
Another vote for the Gulf Coast. I recently had a weeks holiday in the Indian Rocks Beach area and I loved every single minute of it. Not a fast food joint or Starbucks in sight :) Very easy to drive to from MCO as well.
#777299 by thelaceys
05 May 2011, 20:11
flabound wrote:blimey all these people coming to Rotonda/Englewood (where we live) -it will be getting too crowded !!!

Ha ha whoops ;)

Must admit we call it our little bit of paradise and keep it a secret 8D

thelaceys
#777307 by Miss G
05 May 2011, 21:07
I'm another one for the Gulf Coast, especially North Reddington Beach. I find Orlando horrendous. There are loads of condo places so you wouldn't need a villa (unless that's what you really wanted.) Personally I like to be by the sea!!!
#777353 by Sunshine
06 May 2011, 03:29
If you decide on Sarasota I have a home there and can recommend things to do |:)

I don't think you can go far wrong with the Gulf coast....its just making up your mind as to whether you want a quiet or lively place. The barrier islands each have their own character.

I would agree with flabound about the weather in Feb and perhaps not be too far from things to do on chilly days. The last two years have been much colder in the winter than previous ones. Sarasota has an aquarium, cray golf, kids hands on science museum etc. But hopefully 2012 will be back to normal temperatures:D

Sunshine 8D
#777461 by MrsBear99
07 May 2011, 03:39
Following the advice in this thread, MrB and I headed down to Sarasota today and spent a very happy few hours exploring St Armands and lunching at a very nice Italian restaurant. Fortunately, we were seated in the aforementioned restaurant when the heavens opened as they do down here from time to time. 40 mins and 3" water later (i kid you not), we waded back to the car. 10 mins later, clear blue sky and a walk on Manatee beach.

Lovetoholiday - I have pm'd you with details of our holiday villa in the Disney area if you are interested

Heading home tomorrow, TR soon.....

MrsB
#777516 by Treelo
07 May 2011, 14:55
Slightly OT I know and I apologise before I incur mods' wrath. There used to be a 'sticky' on here with details of homes owned by v-flyers in various places. Whatever happened to that ?|
#777612 by catsilversword
08 May 2011, 00:37
RedVee wrote:Lots and lots of villas on Rotunda and Cape Haze (where I've stayed 3 times). I can recommend http://www.floridagoldhomes.com (and I'm not on commission either). Very straightforward, lots of choice. Mark is the rental property manager.

Agree with what Flabound says, some lovely beaches around there and cheaper than the better known Sarasota.

Regards
R3dV

Agree - this is a lovely area and personally,I really love to be somewhere there are no hoards of tourists. Yeah, I know that sounds bizarre! Seriously though, a villa is an excellent bet. The first time we came over, our youngest was 5 - it's so much more comfortable than staying in a hotel room and usually cheaper too - brucey bonus!
#777614 by catsilversword
08 May 2011, 00:42
flabound wrote:blimey all these people coming to Rotonda/Englewood (where we live) -it will be getting too crowded !!!

LOL - probably not going to happen anytime soon! We've been driving around the area and been struck by the large number of empty lots!
#777705 by lovetoholiday
08 May 2011, 20:23
WOW !
Thanks for all the replies everyone, lots of food for thought and not so daunting now. I love this forum :D
Virgin Atlantic