#880050 by Fuzzy14
11 Aug 2014, 14:08
I wouldn’t mind staying at a Disney hotel just to try one out, but we’re a big fan of the villa holidays, own pool and the space. And after 2 weeks of sharing the one room with the kids I think I’d be rather stressed by the experience, not to mention the cost.

Has anybody stayed at a Disney hotel and then moved to a villa after a week? That way we’d get the DDP (for a week), extra hours etc then be able to get away from the madness. Are there any pitfalls I’m missing other than having to repack all the suitcases? xx(
#880058 by Neil
11 Aug 2014, 15:00
We haven't personally, but I know of people who have and the only downside like you say is having to repack and unpack again.

Personally I don't think the DDP is actually really worth it when you work out what it costs and with FP+ the EMH's are being reduced and the benefits of them becoming less attractive. Of course, these are just my personal opinions, but I personally wouldn't swap a day of my villa stay for a night at a Disney hotel let alone a full week.
#880089 by VS075
11 Aug 2014, 19:46
Fuzzy14 wrote:I wouldn’t mind staying at a Disney hotel just to try one out, but we’re a big fan of the villa holidays, own pool and the space. And after 2 weeks of sharing the one room with the kids I think I’d be rather stressed by the experience, not to mention the cost.

Has anybody stayed at a Disney hotel and then moved to a villa after a week? That way we’d get the DDP (for a week), extra hours etc then be able to get away from the madness. Are there any pitfalls I’m missing other than having to repack all the suitcases? xx(

Can't speak for Disney hotels as I've not stayed in one yet (nor have any inclinations to want to stay in one at this moment in time). What I will say having spent most of my recent holidays at a rented apartment in a small block with its own private pool is that once you get used to the peace and tranquility of having your own space and enjoying the quiet, you would struggle to acclimatise back to pools at complexes where there's lots of people.

Or am I just being antisocial? :o)
#880094 by Hev60
11 Aug 2014, 20:49
Hi Fuzzy14, we've stayed at a Disney hotel (usually Disney's Animal kingdom Lodge or Caribbean Beach Resort) and then moved to a villa about a dozen times in the past.

An obvious bonus of a Disney resort hotel is the transportation right to the park entrance, rather than using car parks, monorail etc The other bonus is the DDPlan but we prefer not to eat at the crowded parks every time. In fact in recent years we have found the crowds of Disney overwhelming.

In the past we've 'done' the manic Disney bit and then got a villa to have a relax. From there the choice of where to eat is unlimited, never missed to DDPlan. It was nice to get away from Disney and just a hotel room. Then we have a week on the gulf coast y)

This year we stayed at a Kissimmee villa so we could do Discovery Cove, Sea world & Aquatica. I must admit this was not such a good plan. We had a 30minute journey each day getting up to the SeaWorld area parks but hay ho there were a lot of advantages to the freedom & space of a private villa. We booked ours through VRBO and stayed at a villa on Oak Island Cove, described as "wow". Certainly not a positive description I would have given it though v( How photographs and deceitful 5* reviews can be misleading.
So be very careful with villa rentals.

Hope this helps :)
#880129 by Fuzzy14
12 Aug 2014, 12:58
Thanks for all the comments. Meant to say I'm a veteran of doing Orlando villa holidays (indeed just started the process of buying one) and wouldn’t normally consider anything else but we’re away for 3 weeks next year so it gives us an opportunity to try something different.
#881174 by starquake
26 Aug 2014, 14:10
Personally we quite like the on-site Disney hotels - the transport is one of the key factor making this useful.

Free parking at parks - gives you flexibility/choice on when to go - or use the buses/monorail/train.

EMH isn't the issue for us, it's the ability to walk out of park back to an on-site resort, or a relatively quick journey back compared to the car - or being able to have a beer in a restaurant in evening and not worry about the drive back.

Doesn't suit everyone, and I agree the DDP is a waste of money - just buy what you want && if an annual pass-holder get a TIW card, far more value.

Obviously the other thing with the Disney hotels is the ambiance - waking up to animals in animal kingdom lodge is kind of cool with coffee.. but they are not cheap.

That said, if you do go Disney look at renting some DVC points - way cheaper than rack rate.
Virgin Atlantic