#9770 by hmvs_dog
07 Jan 2006, 14:29
We're going on honeymoon in June (bet you're all sick of hearing that now aren't you?) and we're going to be staying at the Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal. We decided to splash out a bit and get a Club Level room rather than a normal one.

I've read quite a bit recently on TripAdvisor and other advisory websites about it and now I'm a little bit nervous about what I'm going to find there. There's not much in the way of recent advice on here either. Has anyone been there recently (preferably in Club Level) and experienced first hand what it's like?

I'm eagerly awaiting everyone's comments!
#90615 by HighFlyer
07 Jan 2006, 16:03
Hiya

I stayed there back in 2002

The hotel was very expensive but was certainly very lovely and made for a very enjoyable and luxurious stay in MCO. The hotel is also lacking in lots of large familes and children (probably because of the room rates) so whilst there are some little ones, it was very nice to go to the pools there and not be swamped by hundreds of rug rats.

Best thing about staying at Universal properties is the included front of line pass - you show your room key on all the rides at both Universal parks and get to use Fast track. I did this repeatedly on the Hulk so in the end they just let me stay on the ride ;)

You also get to use the boat service to and from the parks, so free and regular transportation to there and to City Walk is available.

The hotel itself was beautiful, very well landscaped and sculptured. They have a few small pools IIRC and one has a water slide - used by kids big and small! The service i recieved was top notch - as well it should have been for the charges. I ordered a cup of tea to my room one night - and got the bill for $15 - still, it was nice tea!

Rooms were of a fair size - lovely huge raised beds and i had a small suite with bath and seperate shower. I'll see if i can dig out any pictures, as this was a while back - although i do have this one on the work server which i do love ...

[img]http://www.fasttrak.co.uk/Sarah/IMG%20113.jpg[/img]

The breakfast buffet was superb, all the food, especially the fruit was very fresh and tasty, but again, the buffet wasnt cheap.

The restaurants at the hotel were mainly Italian (go figure!) but of the two i ate at (Mamas being one, cant recall the other) the food was very nice.

I enjoyed my stay at Portofino, and hope to return there again. The best benefit for me was the front of line pass, and then the peace and tranquility of the place.

I think its a great choice for a honeymoon in MCO!

If there is anything you want to ask me, feel free, it has been a while since i was there so my memory is hazy so apologies for lack of detail in this - think i just convinced myself of the need for another trip to MCO!!
#90636 by hmvs_dog
07 Jan 2006, 18:25
Many thanks for that Sarah, that was almost like a TR!

It's very comforting to know that you have stayed there and are keen to go back, it means the place must have made a pretty good impression on you.

The hotel was very expensive

Not really bothered as it's a once in a lifetime holiday!

The breakfast buffet was superb, all the food, especially the fruit was very fresh and tasty, but again, the buffet wasnt cheap.

I believe Club Level guests get free breakfast as well as free drinks in the evening, so again, bargain!

The restaurants at the hotel were mainly Italian

Fantasic, I love Italian food!

All in all, I'm looking forward to it again now rather than looking on it with trepidation. Thanks for that! You're a star! [y][oo][^]
#90639 by HighFlyer
07 Jan 2006, 18:51
Hiya

No worries at all, glad i could help.

You will have to return the favour when you get back though and let us all know what you thought of Portofino and how you got on.

Best wishes for your future nuptuals too!
#90825 by BelfastFlyer
08 Jan 2006, 19:59
Thanks for the info as well. Im planning on staying here during my next trip to orlando!
Virgin Atlantic