#20894 by woggledog
02 Sep 2007, 12:24
Hi all.

was just sat here pondering over whether I had the energy and the will to type in my forthcoming flights (including those on Alaksa Airlines: Yuck!) and wondered if anything useful is ever done with the itenaries data? It wouldn't take much to calculate how many miles v-flyers do every year, fave destinations, fave airlines, etc...

Could provide some useful dosh into the v-flyer coffers, one would think...
#182539 by Nottingham Nick
02 Sep 2007, 12:29
The main purpose of the itineraries is to encourage V-Flyers to meet up, if they are flying from the same airport on the same day.

Sometimes those who can access the CH can take another V-Flyer in as their guest.

I don't think that we have ever taken it beyond that. How would we get extra 'dosh into the V-Flyer coffers' by calculating the data as you suggest?

Nick
#182554 by woggledog
02 Sep 2007, 13:03
Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
The main purpose of the itineraries is to encourage V-Flyers to meet up, if they are flying from the same airport on the same day.

Sometimes those who can access the CH can take another V-Flyer in as their guest.

I don't think that we have ever taken it beyond that. How would we get extra 'dosh into the V-Flyer coffers' by calculating the data as you suggest?

Nick

I'm pretty sure there would be some marketting company somewhere that would love this data!

Just a sunday morning pre coffee thought....
#182557 by Nottingham Nick
02 Sep 2007, 13:12
Originally posted by woggledog
I'm pretty sure there would be some marketting company somewhere that would love this data!

Not my area of expertise I am afraid.

I assume a marketing company would want more than raw data - would they want any personal details of the fliers involved? If so, that is definitely a route we wouldn't want to go down.

Nick
#182566 by Pete
02 Sep 2007, 15:04
Perish the thought that I'd ever sell people's data to a third party. Christ, no!
#182570 by mcmbenjamin
02 Sep 2007, 15:55
Well it would be neat to have a "fly-o-meter' in a user's profile. mcmbenjamin has xxx,xxx miles this year.

Would be cool. There is a German site that does something with flight history. List a user's favorite airline, route, average sector length, and a map plus other crap.
Virgin Atlantic