#21099 by Pete
19 Sep 2007, 00:43
Based on suggestions from our visitors (thanks mdvipond!), the profile pages on V-Flyer have gone through a complete overhaul and adopted more than a few ideas from the popular social networking sites.

You can now quickly identify other members of V-Flyer from the same area as you; those that share the same birthday or work in the same industry. It was all data that was there before, but the new profile application just makes it easier.

A major part of the new profiles - and one you'll recognise if you've been anywhere near MySpace, Facebook or Bebo, et al - is Friends. Add your best pals to your profile view and you'll be able to keep up to date with your own circle of friends on V-Flyer.

Another new feature is Bar Chat. This lets you leave a message on someone else's profile, or hold threaded conversations between 2 or more profiles. They're called Bar Chats because like a conversation in a pub, eavesdroppers can join in your discussions. Not as public as the forum, but not as private as PMs. You can just leave a simple message directly on someones profile page, or click the Bar Chat Thread links to see were a conversation has been going between profiles.

And there's lots of other little features to discover in there too. More than it's worth boring you with here.

The disclaimer is that this is currently a Beta, so be a little gentle with it as it beds in and I discover the nasty little bugs that have crept in.

To get started, click the 'Profile' link from the top menu. To add others as friends, navigate to their profile by clicking their name in forum posts, or searching for them from the 'Members' link also in the top menu.

Pete
#183891 by mcmbenjamin
19 Sep 2007, 02:48
Wow. It looks just like another website...
#183900 by Decker
19 Sep 2007, 09:00
Nice work Pete!
#183901 by NS
19 Sep 2007, 09:08
Great idea! Thank you.

BTW - the D.O.B. feature defaults to 14 Sept '94 with me (which just ain't true!)
#183902 by Decker
19 Sep 2007, 09:14
It's a pain to set :).... Drop down year, drop down month, click day clickgo... I got there eventually
#183903 by Pete
19 Sep 2007, 09:30
Originally posted by Decker
It's a pain to set :).... Drop down year, drop down month, click day clickgo... I got there eventually

Yes, the DOB field comes from the original Snitz code, and I agree it's a pain. Unfortunately it's also a pain to replace it with a simpler version, since Snitz uses its own internal date format. Grrr....

Won't stop me trying though...
#183923 by mdvipond
19 Sep 2007, 15:57
Wow. Stunning. Bravo. Bellissimo. Wunderba. And so forth.

You is one clever fella, Pete. Had a little play and it looks great, think it might be rather good fun as folk get used to it. Thanks for all the hard work.
#183926 by Wolves27
19 Sep 2007, 16:11
Cheers Pete!

A job well done, looking forward to seeing if it changes my V-Flyer usage. I'm now just lying back and awaiting my first poke :D

cheers!

Dean
#183927 by mitchja
19 Sep 2007, 16:18
Originally posted by Wolves27

I'm now just lying back and awaiting my first poke :D

'tis done [:o)] You can always poke yourself as well you know [:w]

Regards
#183938 by Pete
19 Sep 2007, 16:51
Poking someone else will now send a PM notification. As Decker pointed out to me, the idea of a poke is to get someone's attention ;)
#183945 by seany
19 Sep 2007, 18:59
Great work Pete! Thanks very much for your efforts.
#183955 by buns
19 Sep 2007, 20:48
Pete

Fantastic[y][y]

now I will never get away from the site[:w]

V.compulsive isn't it[}:)]

buns
#183956 by Wolves27
19 Sep 2007, 20:49
Pete, just don't allow Zombies, Ninja's, Aquariums, or any other of the nonsense that clutters up the good bits on Facebook :D

Cheers!

Dean
#183967 by GrahamN
19 Sep 2007, 22:21
Pete - fantastic job - well done!!

G.
#184025 by Pete
20 Sep 2007, 14:13
I've added my own version of one of the most popular - and possibly most appropriate - add ons from Facebook, Countries I've Visited.
#184030 by GreboDB
20 Sep 2007, 14:35
Originally posted by Pete
I've added my own version of one of the most popular - and possibly most appropriate - add ons from Facebook, Countries I've Visited.

like it, although just makes you realise (at least in my case), just how much of the world you still have to visit!!
#184033 by Pete
20 Sep 2007, 14:44
Originally posted by GreboDB
Originally posted by Pete

like it, although just makes you realise (at least in my case), just how much of the world you still have to visit!!

Same here. I really ought to get out more... ;)
#184034 by Decker
20 Sep 2007, 14:53
Drop downs? Please check boxes :) But 'tis done! Thank you!
#184035 by Pete
20 Sep 2007, 14:58
Originally posted by Decker
Drop downs? Please check boxes :) But 'tis done! Thank you!

Hear ya, but check boxes would take up a *lot* of space, given the number of possible countries. Might look at AJAX'ing it in the future though, to save the hassle of reposting the whole page.

Pete
#184037 by honey lamb
20 Sep 2007, 15:05
Hmmm! It allows you to input Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland but not England and for that you have to put in United Kingdom. I haven't been to Scotland but I've been to all the others. Also, if you put in Wales on its own it doesn't go red
#184042 by Pete
20 Sep 2007, 15:33
Originally posted by honey lamb
Hmmm! It allows you to input Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland but not England and for that you have to put in United Kingdom. I haven't been to Scotland but I've been to all the others. Also, if you put in Wales on its own it doesn't go red

Fixed that. It's now just UK, as that's the way the map is painted.

Pete
#184143 by fozzyo
21 Sep 2007, 14:21
The jetting off bit looks good and the Where have you been bit. A where have you sat would just be silly. Wouldn't it?

If anyone forgets where they've been you may find this video useful. Though there are some countries that have been missed of.
#184220 by Vegascrazy
22 Sep 2007, 10:32
Pete - quick question re the Jetting Off bit...

Steve was asking how to make our forthcoming flights show under his Jetting Off section but, given that I originally posted them in the Itineraries forum, they only show under my Jetting Off section. Is there any way of him linking to the flights I posted, or would he have to duplicate the flights in the Itineraries forum so that they show for him?

Thanks again for all your efforts with the new Profile stuff....it really has added a whole new dimension to the site [y]
#184255 by Pete
22 Sep 2007, 14:42
Originally posted by Vegascrazy
Pete - quick question re the Jetting Off bit...

Steve was asking how to make our forthcoming flights show under his Jetting Off section but, given that I originally posted them in the Itineraries forum, they only show under my Jetting Off section. Is there any way of him linking to the flights I posted, or would he have to duplicate the flights in the Itineraries forum so that they show for him?

Thanks again for all your efforts with the new Profile stuff....it really has added a whole new dimension to the site [y]

The current way of doing it would be for Steve to also post those flights (and, strictly speaking, that's totally valid, as he has his own tickets afterall!); although for the future I might look at ways of adding additional passengers to the itinerary post since more and more V-Flyers are flying together.

Pete
#184302 by Pete
22 Sep 2007, 21:11
Originally posted by GrinningJackanapes
Hey Pete -- I would PM you but interested in others' opinions on this ---

1. How do we see "recent posts" by the person? It used to be in a nice list...any chance of getting that back? The posts of persons whom I respect here are read by me 100% of the time and it's hard to find where they've posted (picking thru those little one-line "So and so has just made lunch" or such is more difficult.

2. The thumb things are being used by some passive-aggressive types to be negative about certain people's postings no matter the content. I'm not sure they provide the context or the level of visibility (why are they anonymous?) that would lead to actually educating the poster about why their words were taken the wrong way. And, like I said, someone with a pre-verbal mentality and a personal grudge can just go thru and flag thumbs down on everything their nemesis posts.

I love what you've done -- just asking for your thoughts and those of others.

Thanks!

GJ

For number 1, I probably need to add a little code snippet to either bring those into the profile pages or at least a link to a pre-made search page. Will give that some thought.

On point 2, I understand what you're saying, and there may be some trigger-happy rating going on whilst it's all new. I'm prepared to give it a while to see if it calms down, and the overall ratings point to the most useful posts. If it does continue to be a snipping method, I may disable the thumbs-down button so the only option is to rate those posts you think are good rather than mark them down.
Virgin Atlantic