#21911 by pkatmk
10 Nov 2007, 17:00
I notice that GJ was kind enough to leave me a 'private' message. How can I tell whether this was a PM or a 'Bar Chat' post? If I post in my own Bar Chat area how will the original poster know that I have replied? I am having difficulty understanding the basic concept.

If there is a full explanation of PM/Bar Chat features somewhere on the site I would appreciate a pointer as I could not find anything beyond Pete's original announcement.

Thanks in advance

[Edit: mitchja - moved to the V-Flyer Website forum]
#190309 by mitchja
10 Nov 2007, 18:09
Private Messages (PM's)

You will not see a PM message in your profile or bar chat area. A PM is separate, private and only viewable by yourself and the person who sent you it. Think of it as a basic email system. There's a link at the top of the forum pages to go into your PM's.

BarChat

When you post in someone elses bar chat or someone posts in your own bar chat, you will see something like:

GrinningJackanapes posted in mitchja's Bar Chat (at 2:45pm

which is shown in my bar chat. It will also been seen in everybodies bar chat who you become friends with. As you invite more friends, you will also see messages when other friends post in other peoples bar chats as well.

eg I can see also this message in my bar chat:

RichardMannion posted in VS075's Bar Chat (at 4:23pm)

Think of it like a large public chat network, rather than just chatting with one single person, the whole network of friends you create can chat to one another but all members of the network can see who is chatting with who and can see what was said as well.

The other thing you will see in your bar chat is when one of your friends posts in the forum and a link is created to their post.

In summery, PM's are private 'chats' and bar chats are public 'chats'

I hope that makes sense.

Regards
#190314 by pkatmk
10 Nov 2007, 18:38
Hi Mitchja

Thanks for your clear and concise explanation. The connection between 'bar chats' and 'friends' was my conceptual missing link. I had assumed that the 'friends' feature was just some sort of 'mutual admiration club', lol, like the old 'persons whom I respect' feature.

Once again my thanks
#190345 by avalon
10 Nov 2007, 22:31
Thank you Mitchja, as a new user and a bit of a technophobe I was wondering what a bar chat was - I googled it and - well never mind what came up! Also what does it mean to "poke" someone? Is it like a nudge on MSN? And thanks pkatmk for asking my question for me.
#190347 by Nottingham Nick
10 Nov 2007, 22:42
AFAIK - I am no expert, a Poke is the same as a nudge.
The only time I have poked anyone, is when I have posted in their bar chat. :D

The whole concept of the bar chat and profiles is just an extension of the discussion forum, topics are not limited in anyway. We try to keep discussions within the forum on topic and relevant to the subject matter, but in the profiles - anything goes. (within reason, as we are a family site.;) )

If anyone else fancies joining in, you will find that the regulars are a friendly bunch. You can either click on your own profile, the link is at the top left of the page, next to 'Membership status', or you can click on a members name on the front page of the discussion forum or in any thread that they have posted in.

A searchable list of members can been found here, if you are looking to poke a specific person, or post in their bar chat.

Any other questions, one of the poking experts will be able to answer, I am sure. [8D]

Nick
#190351 by avalon
10 Nov 2007, 23:04
no reply to that really is there!
Virgin Atlantic