#23814 by rrao56
27 Mar 2008, 16:41
As a relative newcomer, I note that though the "rate this" section is available, where one may want to appreciate/applaud an excellent comment, it is almost never used. It would be especially useful for commenting on TRs, where one may not have much to add as comment. On a doctors website that I frequent, it is used extensively, and those comments with the maximum rated numbers are featured prominently (eg in active topics); more than 10 positive comments earning a star;)
Wonder if this little used facility should be highlighted to users on this forum.
BW
Raj
#204131 by Nottingham Nick
27 Mar 2008, 17:55
I don't disagree, Raj. This is something we are constantly chewing over, and the whole thing is being discussed again at the moment.

We did have a 'respect rating' where members could show respect to other members, and we also had a negative 'thumb' on the 'rate this' field, but neither worked as planned, as some people engineered a high respect rating deliberately, and with the negative 'rate this' thumb, some members found every post was getting a thumbs down. [:?]

It is good for new people to the site to see that any reply to their questions is being given by somebody who is well established on the site and therefore their answer will be respected. The post count sort of achieves this - we have very little post count padding here, and any that is spotted, is amended by a mod. ;)

We are unlike other boards I read, in that if a person asks a question, and it is answered, we don't always feel the need to post the same answer, agreeing with the first person who replies - unless that person is unsure with their reply, or is incorrect in something they say.

I have noticed - particularly on the DIBB - that the question can be answered in exactly the same way by a number of posters - as if this adds weight to the first reply.

We are fortunate to have a fair few people - not just the mods - who spend a lot of time on the site and are very quick to reply to questions comprehensively.

Having said all that, we are always looking for ways to improve the site, and are very grateful when anyone takes the time to make suggestions. So we will chat about it among the mods and see what we Pete can come up with. [}:)]

Nick
#204134 by Darren Wheeler
27 Mar 2008, 18:03
Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
I
We are fortunate to have a fair few people - not just the mods - who spend a lot of time on the site and are very quick to reply to questions comprehensively.

Nick

I know, but I will get a life/proper job one of these days. [:#]:D
#204140 by Scrooge
27 Mar 2008, 18:53
And also some members who can't help but post silly remarks after a well structured statement is made ....speaking of which...where is Neil [:0][:p]