#24409 by vizbiz
09 May 2008, 15:39
I entered a reply post this morning, and then wanted to go back and re-read the thread. Like a duffer I couldn't remember which thread it was, so I searched for a couple of VERY specific words (rose and bhuna - don't ask!) that I KNOW I put in my reply this morning, but alas nothing comes up. I know in the past I've searched and not found threads/topics, and then been politely told that if I'd searched I would have found etc etc...

Now, I know I searched correctly, tried subject, entire post, several different words, different timeframes etc., and still nothing comes up! Any thoughts on this, or does search simply not work on words in "entire messages"?

Thanks,

Viz.
#208140 by Neil
09 May 2008, 15:43
Hmmm it works when you search for Rosebut not for Bhuna. The VF search engine can be a bit funny sometimes but the google one isn't much better as that didn't work for Bhuna either.

Edit: It does work for Bhuna too, don't change the date period though (I didn't when I searched for Rose). I think the date thing is maybe looking at the thread create date rather than the post date!
#208144 by vizbiz
09 May 2008, 15:50
Well I just tried searching for "rose", in "last 7 days", "entire message" in "All Forums" - and got nothing back. You however searched and found what I had been searching for... Any ideas? Using Firefox by the way.
#208145 by Neil
09 May 2008, 15:57
I searched like this:

Search For: Rose (but it will work with Bhuna too)
Search Forum: All Forums
Search In: Entire Message
Search By Date: Since 120 days ago
Search by Member: vizbiz

The original thread was created 6th March so again you selecting 'in the last 7 days' will throw it out (if my thinking is correct)

Neil
#208149 by honey lamb
09 May 2008, 16:32
I was talking to Pete yesterday about this very matter as I had similar experiences. He is aware of the shortcomings and thinks it might be because of the the Snitz platform and is going to look at it when he gets a chance.

Actually, Viz, if you had gone into your profile page and scrolled down you would have seen the threads to which you have recently posted a reply and could have got it from there
#208150 by vizbiz
09 May 2008, 16:42
Ok, I can now see one flaw in the search process - I assumed, when I put in Rose, that the number of days back that I specified was for when I'd entered the word I was searching for, not when the topic was started. that certainly explains part of it - however would I usually know when a topic that was some weeks or months old was started? No, I wouldn't. Why it wouldn't pick up bhuna, that's another question...
Virgin Atlantic