#24724 by porsche911
06 Jun 2008, 09:16
Am I the only one to notice has V-Flyer started to get a lot quieter lately? Maybe I am incorrect but I visit most days and have noticed in my view the site is not as active as it used to be.Just something I have noticed.

Edit: Moved to V-Flyer Website forum. Mat.
#210062 by Nottingham Nick
06 Jun 2008, 09:39
Interesting observation.

There are only a finite number of things that can be discussed about an airline, but we were always proud of the V-Flyer community, so would be interested to hear the thoughts of others.

Do people agree with Keith's observations? If so, why do you think and is? And, more importantly, can anything be done to change this?

Suggestions and observations are welcomed.

Nick
#210064 by Decker
06 Jun 2008, 09:59
There is a lot less "banter" than there used to be and I strongly suspect that this is down to the introduction of profile pages. If you think about it every post in a profile page replaces what would likely have been a post in a thread. So now all that is posted is genuine queries/observations. I'd actually be surprised if the total "posts" hadn't gone up.
#210065 by Pete
06 Jun 2008, 10:00
Just to add some empirical data here, the number of new topics / replies per month have been pretty constant since last September, so I don't want you to think we're in decline!
#210068 by Neil
06 Jun 2008, 10:07
I wouldn't say I have personally noticed it being any quieter. As with any type of forums it relies on various factors to make it busy and there are always going to be busy & quiet times.

The main factor for keeping a site busy has to be it's members, and I guess it's core member base at that. However, there are times when those members are busy with their 'normal' lives, work, family, holidays etc which means for whatever reason they don't contribute as much as they usually/want to do. This last week I have been so busy with work & things happening at home that I haven't been able to spend as much time as I normally do on the site, so a lot of topics have passed me by.

The other thing that is needed are things to talk about. As Nick said there are only so many topics that can be discussed, so the site needs things to happen in the industry, or people to have questions/opinions etc that need to be answered/discussed/debated etc.

I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong, and that maybe this week has just been one of those times when it is a bit quieter than normal. I guess Pete would know the figures on views/posts to the site to see if it has been any quieter than normal or if there has been a decline over a period.

Edit: just seen Pete's reply which seems to suggest the site isn't in decline[y][y]

Neil
#210071 by honey lamb
06 Jun 2008, 10:31
There are times when I have felt it was quieter than others but when I thought about it, I realised external factors come into play. For example the weekends often tend to be quieter, especially in the summer months when people are out and about but towards the end of the weekend the traffic seems to increase. Also, I suspect a lot of people dip in and out at work. Am I right? [}:)]

What may also have influenced porsche's thinking has been the recent bank holidays. During the UK bank holiday I thought that traffic was slow enough but that's my perception. However it wasn't a bank holiday in Ireland, nor was it half-term and therefore we would have checked into the site as usual to find you all out and about or jetting off for the week/weekend.

I was going to mention that there are stats somewhere to support or disprove this statement but Pete has already posted about that and I think Decker's point about the profile pages has highlighted there is activity elsewhere.

Finally in any kind of forum like this there are always peaks and troughs. For example, we don't get as many "What plane will I be on" as in the past, but think about the activity around such topics as the introduction of the Good night Flight or more recently about the IFBT. Postings around that time went through the roof on these topics.
#210089 by McMaddog
06 Jun 2008, 13:46
Originally posted by honey lamb
Also, I suspect a lot of people dip in and out at work. Am I right? [}:)]

It's there on my task bar refresing all day long for me :D
Virgin Atlantic