#256263 by Darren Wheeler
24 Sep 2008, 23:24
For the first time, I noticed this lurking right at the bottom of the screen.

You are viewing this site customised for visitors from the UNITED KINGDOM. Switch to the UNITED STATES site. The UNITED STATES part is hyperlinked and the home page reloads, but I cannot see any difference. The ads are the same, even prices are in pounds.

Nosy aint I! [:)]
#455151 by preiffer
24 Sep 2008, 23:36
It changes the little voice in your head so that when you're reading posts, all sentences end on a high-note.

This one time, at band camp.... [:w][;)]
#455152 by Pete
24 Sep 2008, 23:40
It's to do with the ads and links on the site. Specifically the links to Virgin take you to the US section when you're visiting from the US. It should recognise your location automatically, but I put in that footer links so (a) I could test it, and (b) if you're travelling, and would rather have links, etc, from your home country, that link will let you switch.

Surprised it was showing you an ad in £'s. That sounds like a bug. Which ad was it - and did the footer specifically say you were in the US region?

Ta
Pete
#455153 by honey lamb
24 Sep 2008, 23:43
Mine says

You are viewing this site customised for visitors from the IRELAND. Switch to the UNITED STATES site. [?]
#455154 by preiffer
24 Sep 2008, 23:45
What's the problem? The Ireland - you know, the one off the west coast of The Wales...?

Jeeez, I thought you LIVED there??? [:p]
#455157 by Darren Wheeler
24 Sep 2008, 23:50
In the US version frontpage, the ad for Virgin Holidays takes you to the .co.uk site rather that the Virgin Vacations site and the Essentials Travel link takes you to the .co.uk, however, in the forum it's replaced with a Orbitz ad.

Both the VS and VA links are going to the correct sides.
#455160 by Pete
24 Sep 2008, 23:56
The homepage is a bit of a special case, as that Virgin Holidays and Essential Travel link are both hardwired. I need to address those... One for the to-do list, methinks.

Oh, and 'the Ireland'. Hmm... I must try harder [;)]
#455162 by Darren Wheeler
25 Sep 2008, 00:00
You were going on holiday right? [:W]

Anyway, I'll see you tomorrow in SF. I'm sure I can drag myself away from the CH when the 19 gets in. I gather Claire isn't in tomorrow though.
#455163 by Pete
25 Sep 2008, 00:06
You'll see Matt & Dean in SF tomorrow. I'm going via LA [;)]
#455164 by preiffer
25 Sep 2008, 00:07
That's if Dean's not mobbed by angry newspaper subscribers.... [:w]
#455165 by Darren Wheeler
25 Sep 2008, 00:10
Originally posted by Pete
You'll see Matt & Dean in SF tomorrow. I'm going via LA [;)]

D'oh. Brain filling in the gaps...
#455167 by n/a
25 Sep 2008, 00:17
Originally posted by honey lamb
Mine says

You are viewing this site customised for visitors from the IRELAND.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEsRYkRpySY]She dreams of 1969
Before the soldiers came...[/url]

GJ
#455185 by David_C_H_1
25 Sep 2008, 09:24
Well, I'm in the Marriott in Cheshunt, Herts, and the bit at the bottom of the page says 'You are viewing this site customised for GERMANY. Switch to the UNITED STATES site.'

Maybe the Germans invaded Hertfordshire while I slept.
#455189 by honey lamb
25 Sep 2008, 10:05
Originally posted by preiffer
What's the problem? The Ireland - you know, the one off the west coast of The Wales...?

Jeeez, I thought you LIVED there??? [:p]

Well it makes it sound like there's more than one Ireland, whereas we all know that it is unique and irreplaceable - just like its inhabitants [:p]

LOL [:o)]
#455205 by Decker
25 Sep 2008, 13:26
Originally posted by David_C_H_1
Well, I'm in the Marriott in Cheshunt, Herts, and the bit at the bottom of the page says 'You are viewing this site customised for GERMANY. Switch to the UNITED STATES site.'

Grr the times I've complained about this to hotel managements. Bloody iBahn and their proxies. Try going to Google - you'll get the German page. Try paying a credit card payment on line - 'your country of origin does not not match the country the credit card was issued in'. Bean counting muppets.
#455206 by adjonline
25 Sep 2008, 13:38
Starbucks has this problem too - prevents iPlayer usage.
#455324 by slinky09
26 Sep 2008, 01:19
quote:Originally posted by David_C_H_1

Oh damn the proxies, happens all the time to me as my Co. has Web servers in Germany ...

Strangely, I was about to post the exact same topic noticing as I did this notice for the first time while in New York!
#462846 by McMaddog
23 Dec 2008, 10:33
Everyday I log in from work I'm on the US site (my company has a US IP Address) - can we not link locale to logins rather than detecting it?
#462874 by Pete
23 Dec 2008, 19:00
If you're logged in, you don't get to see the ad banners (apart from the button in the left-hand menu), so you're not missing a great deal if the site thinks you're in the US if you're actually in the UK.
#480839 by McMaddog
13 Jul 2009, 18:33
Now seems to be malfunctioning on my browser!:
You are viewing this site customised for United States. Switch to the UNITED STATES site
Virgin Atlantic