#460182 by Pete
17 Nov 2008, 00:15
The search page is now back, although due to the large database, combined with the way Snitz Forums does search code, it'll only search in the subject field - unfortunately my tests on searching the entire message always seemed to fail. One for further research...

Our ISP has now also put us in a 'dedicated pool' on the server, and I've been re-indexing the database today. I'm also going through older parts of the site (where my really old code was fudged together in the early days), and cleaning things up. There is a big hairy ambitious goal to re-write the whole thing at some stage, and some recent conversations with a new data provider make that worth serious consideration. But in the short term, I'm going to shore up what we have. Part of the problem of the sluggish response in the morning (UK time) is probably due to that being when the backups are running in the wee hours over on the east coast. For those that don't know, V-Flyer lives on a server in Florida - so if you're having problems getting to US sites, we'll be affected too.

Apologies for the slow-downs - I'm aware of the problem and just as frustrated when they happen as everyone else.

Pete
#461942 by Scrooge
10 Dec 2008, 14:22
Is there any way to move away from the quicktime pop up for private messages.

I have not bothered to load QT yet on this fresh install and I have noticed that I can now access the PM's at the same speed as regular pages, so I must draw that conclusion that it is QT that has been causing the hang up's on the PM messages.
#461970 by Pete
11 Dec 2008, 03:27
Erm... we don't use QT anywhere on the site. The PM message notification is pure dynamic HTML, so the speed you're seeing is probably unrelated to not loading QT, just your machine loaded with shit.... (we are past the watershed aren't we...)
#461973 by Scrooge
11 Dec 2008, 06:58
MMMM the little pop up window is asking me to load QT so it can show me the message ??? and yes your probably right about the other drive being loaded with stuff !
#461983 by Pete
11 Dec 2008, 11:28
How odd. Can you do a screen grab of that pop up?
Virgin Atlantic