#257067 by honey lamb
27 Nov 2008, 18:53
When I go into the forum webpage and then click on Active Topics it comes up with No Active Topics found even though I have seen them on the forum page and the time of the last visit is the time I clicked on to the link.
#460830 by Treelo
27 Nov 2008, 19:21
quote:Originally posted by honey lamb
When I go into the forum webpage and then click on Active Topics it comes up with No Active Topics found even though I have seen them on the forum page and the time of the last visit is the time I clicked on to the link.

I'm having a somewhat similar probem HL. Sometimes I get active topics, sometimes not. When I do get them and then 'back page' to go to the next one, I get the 'no active topics' message. Could this be one for Pete or is it a massively coincidental fault with our machines [?]
#460831 by Neil
27 Nov 2008, 20:05
Maybe not exactly the same problem but I am finding it most annoying how quick the active topic changes the 'last time visited. When I first log on it is ok but as soon as I have read a thread and click it again it changes to my most recent log on time and therefore gets rid of all the topics. I have to manually change it to 'last hour' etc to get them back!

Neil
#460832 by Darren Wheeler
27 Nov 2008, 20:38
Pete has passed it to the ISP boffins as it could be something to do with recycling memory. [?]
#460833 by Neil
27 Nov 2008, 21:01
quote:Originally posted by Darren Wheeler
Pete has passed it to the ISP boffins as it could be something to do with recycling memory. [?]

I was just about to suggest checking the recycling memory, such an obvious likely issue/problem/thing [?]
#460834 by Treelo
27 Nov 2008, 21:10
quote:Originally posted by Neil
[quote]Originally posted by Darren Wheeler

I was just about to suggest checking the recycling memory, such an obvious likely issue/problem/thing [?]

Oh, yeah, me too [:I]
#460844 by ChuckC
27 Nov 2008, 23:13
Sounds very complicated! And the 'recycling memory' would be ... what exactly?

Chuck-
#460848 by Scrooge
28 Nov 2008, 00:51
It's the new green memory type Chuck, we are green here on VF.

How to describe recycling memory in layman's terms.....

Ok, a piece of info is loaded into the memory, when the OS decides it is no longer needed it releases that piece of memory and writes something else on it. This is normally done by the memory manager, now if the values are wrong or have become corrupted the whole thing goes wacky, normally a reset is all that is needed to get everything working the way it should.

It has been a loooooong time since I looked at memory managers, so someone with more up to date knowledge please correct whatever is wrong in what I said.
#461239 by iforres1
03 Dec 2008, 12:05
I am experiencing this same problem today.

Iain
#461267 by slinky09
03 Dec 2008, 16:42
quote:Originally posted by ChuckC
Sounds very complicated! And the 'recycling memory' would be ... what exactly?

Chuck-
'

How about ... brainwashing?
#467174 by Bill S
04 Feb 2009, 11:07
Is this problem getting worse again?
The 'Last Visit' time seems to being reset so quickly there is barely enough time to read a few posts, never mind a complete thread before the last visit is reset to current time and all unread posts disappear.
It would be very nice to be able to select a minimum reset time....
#467181 by Scrooge
04 Feb 2009, 12:08
It's working fine for me...so far.
#467185 by Pete
04 Feb 2009, 12:54
Our ISP has increased the release rate of our application pool (if you have no idea what that is, don't worry, it just a way of reducing the slow-downs on the site when it gets busy). The upshot of that is the session variables which track your last visit may get pretty short.

The workaround is to load the Active Topics page, and then use the 'new window' icons to go through each of the topics you want to catch up on, keeping the original Active Topic page open until you're done. Going back-and-forth from Active Topics to the thread not only is likely to reset your last visit, but puts extra load on the servers if you're building the Active Page again between each thread.

Ta.

Pete
#467187 by Sealink
04 Feb 2009, 13:03
I just click on 'last 12 hours' to reload Active Topics.
#467236 by Bill S
04 Feb 2009, 22:42
Either I am using the site at odd times or perhaps it's because I use Chrome.
Or it could be just the way I use Active topics always set to Last visit.
Opening a new tab each time does provide a work-around - Thanks Pete!

Just tested it again - in the time I made this post, it had reset - this was the only active post!
#467332 by Treelo
05 Feb 2009, 21:23
How come I am told that there are no active topics since my last visit when I can quite clearly see that there are [?]
Virgin Atlantic