Mac/Safari/OSX
Cleared Cache
login works fine, just need to keep re-entering
Have ticked "Remember Me"

?|

NH
#748247 by Willowx
17 Jun 2010, 12:00
Are you either letting the computer go to sleep or closing the lid if you have a macbook while v-flyer is open? If so I have this problem and you don't actually have to log back in but click through to the home page(can use the purple VF at bottom) and then click back to the forums. Otherwise I don't know.
#748248 by Pete
17 Jun 2010, 12:06
The remember me feature is powered by Cookies, so make sure that (a) Cookies are enabled, (b) You don't have 'Private Browsing' enabled (under the Safari menu) and (c), if (a) & (b) are just fine, you may have corrupted cookies for V-Flyer, in which case go into Safari > Preferences > Security Tab and hit the Show Cookies button (that screen is also where you can check cookies are enabled). When the list of cookies comes up, enter v-flyer into the search box, and remover any v-flyer cookies you find. Then try re-logging in, so it re-creates a fresh set of cookies for you.

Sometimes you will have to log in again, as cookies only have a limited lifetime for security reasons - but it shouldn't be every time you visit ;-)
#748253 by McMaddog
17 Jun 2010, 12:39
Must admit (and yes I didn't bother to report) I always suffer the same issues using IE8. It's gotten to the point now where I hardly ever log in or bother to post. In fact I was considering cancelling my subscription :( Ever since this new site went live I haven't been a happy bunny on here.
#748256 by Pete
17 Jun 2010, 12:50
Hi McMaddog,

So that I can better get to the bottom of your problem, can you let me know the Javascript error you saw? If you can also confirm you've done the cookie checks above, and you OS version, I'll do my best to find a fix for you.

Pete
#748261 by tontybear
17 Jun 2010, 13:31
Might it be worth clearing out any saved passwords and bookmarks and starting again?
#748263 by Pete
17 Jun 2010, 13:57
McMaddog wrote:Message: Object doesn't support this action
Line: 20
Char: 393
Code: 0
URI: styles/affinity%202/template/rt_js/mootools.js

Using IE8 on Win 7.
Regarding cookies I cleared them out twice. I'll keep a close eye on when it next doesn't auto login.

You got that error when trying to post, yes?

Mootools will be a fun one to try and debug!
#748265 by McMaddog
17 Jun 2010, 14:20
No got it on pressing Login at the top of the page. If I'm logged in there is no Javascript error. I assume it's trying to display a iFrame (or something to that effect?)
#748266 by Pete
17 Jun 2010, 14:49
McMaddog wrote:No got it on pressing Login at the top of the page. If I'm logged in there is no Javascript error. I assume it's trying to display a iFrame (or something to that effect?)

Login at the top of the page? Is that within the forum, or on the homepage. It should open a "lightbox" login window for you, but if that's error'ing, can you try the vanilla login box on the homepage (in the right-hand column) and let me know whether you get any problems. It may be that that fancy login isn't compatible with IE8, or Win7, or something else on your system. Such is the challenge of narrowing down the causes of these sorts of things.
#748274 by McMaddog
17 Jun 2010, 16:11
Yes I logged in fine through the homepage just not able to show the iFrame style popup login form from the top of the screen link. The offending link sits next to the Text size +/- bit on the grey bar. It definitely used to work in the early days though the text size on the popup was always rendered wierdly (way too big).
#748285 by northernhenry
17 Jun 2010, 16:56
Pete wrote:The remember me feature is powered by Cookies, so make sure that (a) Cookies are enabled, (b) You don't have 'Private Browsing' enabled (under the Safari menu) and (c), if (a) & (b) are just fine, you may have corrupted cookies for V-Flyer, in which case go into Safari > Preferences > Security Tab and hit the Show Cookies button (that screen is also where you can check cookies are enabled). When the list of cookies comes up, enter v-flyer into the search box, and remover any v-flyer cookies you find. Then try re-logging in, so it re-creates a fresh set of cookies for you.

Sometimes you will have to log in again, as cookies only have a limited lifetime for security reasons - but it shouldn't be every time you visit ;-)

y) Cheers Pete, seems to of had the desired result.. oo)
#748296 by Pete
17 Jun 2010, 17:38
McMaddog wrote:Yes I logged in fine through the homepage just not able to show the iFrame style popup login form from the top of the screen link. The offending link sits next to the Text size +/- bit on the grey bar. It definitely used to work in the early days though the text size on the popup was always rendered wierdly (way too big).

I tried it on my install of IE8 (8.0.7600.16385) on Windows 7, and it worked ok (you should see a box like this when you click Login):
loginbox.png
loginbox.png (83.16 KiB) Viewed 9095 times

Which leads me to believe that the code is probably ok, but there's something else in your particular configuration that is clashing with it. Do you have any third party extensions like Google Toolbar, etc, that can be temporarily disabled to see if they're interfering with the site operation? Have you got any of the Microsoft "InPrivate" settings enabled? Can you think of anything which would make your install of IE8 not as standard as another one?

Pete
#748299 by Pete
17 Jun 2010, 18:06
McMaddog wrote:Pete it works fine for me when I click it on the homepage at the top - just not when I'm viewing this particular topic!

Ah, so only within the forum. Ok, that might be a clash between forum code and the style template. I'll investigate further.
#748341 by McMaddog
18 Jun 2010, 09:33
northernhenry wrote:Hmmm, still not right.

back tonight and clicked my bookmarked link to my profile page & again hit with a log-in page..

Yep same with me, clicked my Favourites page and sure enough had to login :? When I did the same yesterday after an hour or so all was fine. I even locked the PC overnight so it's not like it rebooted or anything.
#748342 by Neil
18 Jun 2010, 10:00
Am I missing something here? I have to always log in when I re-open Firefox, whether I use the bookmarked link, or just type in the address, are you saying that V-Flyer should or did used to remember you and you never had to log in?

If I leave my browser open, like I do all day at work or when using my iPad and iPhone, I never have to log in.
#748343 by Pete
18 Jun 2010, 10:11
Is this only when you're following deep bookmarked links, ie, not the homepage? Shouldn't make a huge difference, in theory, but it's a variable I should take into consideration.

Also, do you log out after each session, or just close the site window? Logging out obviously means that you need to login again on the next visit, but I've also noticed there's a causal relationship between logging out and corrupt cookies.

In theory it's technically possible to give you a bookmark which also saves your username and (encrypted) password into the URL (ie, logs you in regardless of the login state before you click it), but I haven't enabled that as it may be a security concern - unless the feeling from the majority is that that would be more of an advantage than any disadvantage it brings.
#748347 by McMaddog
18 Jun 2010, 11:15
The link in my Favorites is "http://v-flyer.com/forum/index.php?search_id=newposts&rb_v=search"
I'll try going to the hompage tomorrow. I never log out.

Re Neil, the old site always remembered me the next morning but the next day around 3pm it always logged me out on the auto-refresh active topics page. The difference there was it was really in your face that you'd been logged out whereas on the new site you have to be eagle-eyed to spot the difference.
#748354 by northernhenry
18 Jun 2010, 12:12
Grrr. Still doing it.

I've re-cleared my cache, removed my existing bookmark link (had been working fine until about a week ago), quit safari, gone back in afresh, logged in and "remember me".
Not logged out, but off browsing other stuff, 2 hours later when go back to V-flyer- need to login again?

Is it time related, appears to be?
#748358 by Pete
18 Jun 2010, 12:49
I'm seeking the advice of my webmaster peers on this, and it seems it's a widespread problem for sites using the Joomla framework. The tricky bit to fix is that it only effects a minority of people with seemingly similar systems.

This would imply that they're not exactly the same, and there is some subtle difference (like an extension or toolbar) that is causing the issue, but the fact that sites like Facebook and YouTube do work for those users effected by the problem means it can be (potentially) solved at the server end. It's going to be a bit of a challenge finding out how to do that, but since there are quite a few webmasters now onto the issue, I'm hopeful this issue is going to get fixed.

In the meantime, apologies for this and thanks for your patience.

Pete
#748786 by McMaddog
25 Jun 2010, 10:59
It's worked perfectly all week and then today I started up IE, navigated to New Posts and fine, the Logout button is shown etc. Hovered over "The Community" and chose "Messages" and it asked me to login. Also, that login page again looked strangely formatted for IE.
Virgin Atlantic