#799981 by mdvipond
16 Jan 2012, 11:41
It's 8 years today since I became a member of this esteemed and worthy site. Just wanted to say many thanks to all those who continue to make these fora such a fun, free-flowing and informative environment.

Thanks also for taking my travelling bug to heights that would have been unattainable without the sage advice found amongst these pages, as well as all the invaluable tips on flights, destinations, restaurants and hotels. Finally, I'd like to thank you most wholeheartedly for saddling me with an Upper Class addiction from which neither I, nor my bank account, will ever truly recover.

Happy travels chaps, and keep up the good work!
#799991 by tontybear
16 Jan 2012, 12:48
Happy'birthday' !

Have a glass of Tink's special glitter fizz to celebrate !
#799997 by pjh
16 Jan 2012, 14:17
mdvipond wrote:Finally, I'd like to thank you most wholeheartedly for saddling me with an Upper Class addiction from which neither I, nor my bank account, will ever truly recover.

But it's not just you, is it? Roll forward 40 years to the time when you're having to rely on Tizer for assistance. It's between your new hip and a UC trip to BGI. All I'll say is you brought it on yourself.

But surely it must be we who are thanking you for some of the most witty and erudite TRs ever commited to disk. Though I do think we should test your ability to find the best in any situation with flight to Florida.... in economy... from Gatwick.... at the start of the school holidays ):
#799998 by Concorde RIP
16 Jan 2012, 14:29
What a great post! And in return, I'd like to thank you for your contributons to all that you say is good about this site.

Of all forums I've been a part of, or have read and abandoned, this has to be one of the best in terms of the knowledge of it's contributors, the welcome to "newbees", the pleasant way in which people are addressed and the scrupulous decorum shown for 99.9% of the time.

Long may it continue!

And, like PJH, I look forward to that pre-supposed TR to MCO (although I assume it'll be from MAN?).
#800000 by RedVee
16 Jan 2012, 14:46
Happy 8th anniversary Dr V, it'll be mine too in about six weeks. Long may you continue to post, and I'll want a picture of Tizer in big school uniform soon - that can't be too far away.

BTW, that means the site in its current form is now in it's ninth year, so congrats to Pete too. And perhaps time to think about where the 10th Anniversary social might take us......it will be November 2013 before we know it.
#800003 by cooperman
16 Jan 2012, 15:10
Happy Anniversary Sir...

I must admit to being totally enthralled with your entertaining TR's and long may they continue..please!

I'm still in my rookie year as a V-Flyer and already, I too blame this great forum for the Upper Class habit...only done it once but now totally smitten...hence 4 more this year!.

Thanks again and I suppose you wont even consider the challenge set by PJH....will you?

Paul
#800006 by Tinuks
16 Jan 2012, 15:41
Hello and Happy Anniversary. I only just joined this forum yesterday because I saw the link to it on the Vrgn Atlantic app.

I'm really not one to join groups but I was pleased to find out that there are people out there that are [dare I say?] as obsessive about travelling as I am. I can only imagine how great it will be to be connected with like-minded people y)
#800009 by RedVee
16 Jan 2012, 15:54
Welcome Tinuks and enjoy!
#800012 by Neil
16 Jan 2012, 16:02
Tinuks wrote:Hello and Happy Anniversary. I only just joined this forum yesterday because I saw the link to it on the Vrgn Atlantic app.

I'm really not one to join groups but I was pleased to find out that there are people out there that are [dare I say?] as obsessive about travelling as I am. I can only imagine how great it will be to be connected with like-minded people y)

Welcome. Hope you like what you have seen so far, we are a friendly bunch so please feel free to join it y)
#800013 by Neil
16 Jan 2012, 16:09
mdvipond wrote:It's 8 years today since I became a member of this esteemed and worthy site. Just wanted to say many thanks to all those who continue to make these fora such a fun, free-flowing and informative environment.

Thanks also for taking my travelling bug to heights that would have been unattainable without the sage advice found amongst these pages, as well as all the invaluable tips on flights, destinations, restaurants and hotels. Finally, I'd like to thank you most wholeheartedly for saddling me with an Upper Class addiction from which neither I, nor my bank account, will ever truly recover.

Happy travels chaps, and keep up the good work!

There are many things I could say, most however aren't suitable for a friendly site like this, so I will stick with this.

Congratulations, and in your honour, I have decided to throw you a party with free Woo Woo's for everyone (you're buying) with Steps greatest hits on repeat for it's duration, ah the good old days 8D
#800026 by mdvipond
16 Jan 2012, 17:53
pjh wrote:But surely it must be we who are thanking you for some of the most witty and erudite TRs ever commited to disk. Though I do think we should test your ability to find the best in any situation with flight to Florida.... in economy... from Gatwick.... at the start of the school holidays ):

You're very kind Paul. However, it'll be a nice day in Hull before you'll catch me on that particular flight. Christ, can you imagine the TR? I'd probably be banned from VS for life!

C-RIP - next VS trip will indeed be MAN-MCO, but we'll be coming back JFK-LHR which will be a nice change. Got three Gs booked so far, but still two tickets short at present; waiting for BMI to come up with a spare reward seat...
RedVee wrote:I'll want a picture of Tizer in big school uniform soon - that can't be too far away.

I think she stays in the same uniform for another year or two. If I could just stop her growing so fast it'd save us a fortune.

Ah, Neil. The days of Steps and Woo Woos (perhaps the perfect title for your autobiography?). Halcyon days indeed. Wonder what ever came of that there Bar & Entrail Shack that was once so popular...

And welcome Tinuks. You are indeed in a fora filled with like-minded, helpful, witty and well-informed folk. Oh, and Neil, of course.
#800033 by RLF
16 Jan 2012, 18:26
Congratulations - many more miles of happy UC travel and we look forward to more TR's from you, and hopefully one from Tizer soon too!
#800050 by Jacki
16 Jan 2012, 20:09
Congratulations Sir on 8 entertaining years supplying first class Trip reports whilst serving warm beer and pickled eggs in the B&ES.

PS: I'm still waiting for the book to be published ^) ^) ^)
#800054 by wafren
16 Jan 2012, 21:12
Well done Iam not to far behind you guys, still read most active posts everyday, v-flyer has helped me so much over the last 7/8 years oo) ^)
#800066 by mdvipond
16 Jan 2012, 22:21
Jacki wrote:Congratulations Sir on 8 entertaining years supplying first class Trip reports whilst serving warm beer and pickled eggs in the B&ES.

Dame Jacki, I'll have you know that we never served warm beer in mdvipond's Bar & Entrail Shack. Expired mild, yes, but never warm beer.
PS: I'm still waiting for the book to be published ^) ^) ^)

So am I, Jacks, so am I...
#800070 by honey lamb
16 Jan 2012, 22:43
mdvipond wrote: Wonder what ever came of that there Bar & Entrail Shack that was once so popular...

Oh dear! Such a short memory! Or maybe the shock of what happened has obliterated it from the said memory. :0

Surely you remember the reports from the fire department, the police, the coroner's office and my good self. ?| If you recall you were on one of your jollies, which one I can't quite remember but I suspect it was a BGI. I was in charge as always and as always was searching for the hidden stash of T10. I had just discovered a corner of the yard under the stack of past sell-by dated barrels of warm beer where the earth had been disturbed. If you recall they were only 2 years out of date and needed to mature for at least another 5 years but I had noticed they had been moved slightly and so I had investigated. I needed to dig up that patch as I felt sure that was where you had hidden the T10 so I sent Neil off on his lunch break completely forgetting that the LROM trannies were unsupervised. Two of them started a bitch-fight over a wig and it accelerated so that it was a free-for-all and at one stage one of them used hairspray to attack another. Unfortunately someone struck a match at the self-same moment and as you know, their hairspray is of industrial strength and thus when ignited took on the properties of a flame thrower. This happened a split second before they all got out their hairsprays so with an almighty Whoosh! the whole thing went up in seconds and the poor old trannies were cremated!

The aftermath was horrendous. Given that their outfits were all of acrylic and polyester type materials, these all melted and so it became impossible to identify them so the ashes were to be taken to Las Vegas and scattered there. However on the way over on the private jet (which was necessary because of the amount of urns needed) the cargo door of the plane opened and the urns fell out and opened just as we were flying over Iceland and the contents fell on an unknown volcano called Eyj...., Ejy....., Ejky......, Ewhateverthehellitwascalled just as it started a minor eruption. Ooooops!!! :| :| :|

Oh, and I found the T10 where I suspected it was hidden

***For all newbies of the last year or so, no, I haven't lost the plot but I am just putting to bed something that was a much loved feature of the social side of the board before FB claimed us all. It was fun but may make us look as if you should be calling the people with the rather natty jackets that fasten at the back without this explanation :o)
#800084 by tontybear
16 Jan 2012, 23:42
pjh wrote:But it's not just you, is it? Roll forward 40 years to the time when you're having to rely on Tizer for assistance. It's between your new hip and a UC trip to BGI. All I'll say is you brought it on yourself.

I think Tizer already has plans to put Daddy into a home so she can finally enjoy UC without having M&Ms thrown at her. I can see Tizer booking daddy into Y whilst she is in UC and denying all knowledge !
#800086 by ratechaser
17 Jan 2012, 00:13
But does an enduring power of attorney extend to allowing such wanton abuses as making one's parents fly in Y?

Yet another peril of old age that I hadn't considered...

One of these days (if I am spared) I will have to ask about the entrail shack. But wouldn't want to interrupt the flow here.
#800093 by Martin
17 Jan 2012, 02:43
Mark

I'm a relative newbie at a mere 18 months on V-Flyer and like many others I have thoroughly enjoyed your contributions, peppered as they always are with your own brand of cutting wit. Long may they continue.

One thing that that confused me for a while was the belief that you were a doctor (of the medical variety rather than of philosophy) caused by the initials MD. But it was on your recent TR and the memorable Tizer vom incident, that you said you were not.

Does this mean we should stop asking you for diagnosis of our ailments and just drink champagne as the universal panacea? :)
#800106 by Neil
17 Jan 2012, 08:51
honey lamb wrote:
mdvipond wrote: Wonder what ever came of that there Bar & Entrail Shack that was once so popular...

Oh dear! Such a short memory! Or maybe the shock of what happened has obliterated it from the said memory. :0

Surely you remember the reports from the fire department, the police, the coroner's office and my good self. ?| If you recall you were on one of your jollies, which one I can't quite remember but I suspect it was a BGI. I was in charge as always and as always was searching for the hidden stash of T10. I had just discovered a corner of the yard under the stack of past sell-by dated barrels of warm beer where the earth had been disturbed. If you recall they were only 2 years out of date and needed to mature for at least another 5 years but I had noticed they had been moved slightly and so I had investigated. I needed to dig up that patch as I felt sure that was where you had hidden the T10 so I sent Neil off on his lunch break completely forgetting that the LROM trannies were unsupervised. Two of them started a bitch-fight over a wig and it accelerated so that it was a free-for-all and at one stage one of them used hairspray to attack another. Unfortunately someone struck a match at the self-same moment and as you know, their hairspray is of industrial strength and thus when ignited took on the properties of a flame thrower. This happened a split second before they all got out their hairsprays so with an almighty Whoosh! the whole thing went up in seconds and the poor old trannies were cremated!

The aftermath was horrendous. Given that their outfits were all of acrylic and polyester type materials, these all melted and so it became impossible to identify them so the ashes were to be taken to Las Vegas and scattered there. However on the way over on the private jet (which was necessary because of the amount of urns needed) the cargo door of the plane opened and the urns fell out and opened just as we were flying over Iceland and the contents fell on an unknown volcano called Eyj...., Ejy....., Ejky......, Ewhateverthehellitwascalled just as it started a minor eruption. Ooooops!!! :| :| :|

Oh, and I found the T10 where I suspected it was hidden

***For all newbies of the last year or so, no, I haven't lost the plot but I am just putting to bed something that was a much loved feature of the social side of the board before FB claimed us all. It was fun but may make us look as if you should be calling the people with the rather natty jackets that fasten at the back without this explanation :o)

oo) ^) ^) oo)
#800117 by DarkAuror
17 Jan 2012, 10:45
Congratulations on the milestone (or is it millstone :) ) Barkeep!

I do miss the going-ons in the old Bar and Entrails. Maybe with the insurance money, it could be resurrected. I do miss Neil's accusations of cheating in the All New 80's Pop Lyric Quiz (in Colour).
#800118 by Concorde RIP
17 Jan 2012, 11:11
HoneyLamb - please refrain from writing such posts; my entire office thinks I have finally and irrevocably lost the plot due to a prolonged bout of hysterical laughter without explanation.

"What's so funny" they say..."oh nothing" I say, "you wouldn't understand..."

Brilliant!
#800119 by Neil
17 Jan 2012, 11:20
DarkAuror wrote:I do miss Neil's accusations of cheating in the All New 80's Pop Lyric Quiz (in Colour).

Well if you didn't cheat then I wouldn't have had to make such statements :w
Virgin Atlantic