#804901 by PaulS
10 Mar 2012, 21:05
Is VA overpricing their product or are they just that busy. I have just priced a return to NYC in May and to fly at times convienent to myself (early outand day flight return) Va is quoting £3,841.99 for Upper which is business and BA for similar flight times £2,578 First class. This is not the irst time. flew with Emirates First in November in a suite for same price as Virgin wanted for Upper.
#804902 by Hamster
10 Mar 2012, 21:16
Spanishvirgin wrote:Is VA overpricing their product or are they just that busy. I have just priced a return to NYC in May and to fly at times convienent to myself (early outand day flight return) Va is quoting £3,841.99 for Upper which is business and BA for similar flight times £2,578 First class. This is not the irst time. flew with Emirates First in November in a suite for same price as Virgin wanted for Upper.

What fare code was Virgin selling? I know on BA, if you select non-flexible J, and the cheapest have been sold, it puts you in F, because it's cheaper than the flexible J's that are left. If that makes sence!
#804903 by PaulS
10 Mar 2012, 21:37
I understand about the flexibility, but the BA flight could be cancelled for only £200 and personally I only look to book when I know I am going to travel. When I flew on VS 05 in Aug I was amazed then that upper class (a346) was less than a third full and I thought then that the product was over priced. Perhaps it's just me that has lost that I must fly the Virgin and now just look for the best bargains.
#804904 by tontybear
10 Mar 2012, 21:55
You don't give actual dates and flight numbers.

It maybe that VS is busy those days and has sold the cheaper buckets so only the more expensive ones are available. Perhaps when you checked the VS prices others were doing the same and that throws the pricing off.

As to how full/empty the cabinwas last August again that depends on a number of factors such as the day of the week and the route. MIA is mainly a business rather than leisure route and you would expect lighter loads in the summer.
#804921 by slinky09
11 Mar 2012, 09:36
There are however perennial complaints about VS pricing and you only need to look at the number of threads or posts over the last year comparing VS and BA head to head on routes and days, however since it's such a dark art we'll never get to know the detail unless working in VS finance.

We will not know whether BA or VS has proportionately more or fewer lower fare class tickets on any route, we do know BA often has more flights, but its the proportionality that matters. Now do we ever know how many tickets are booked into each fare class, so comparing like for like on a single day is nigh on impossible.

That said, there are plenty of occasions when you can compare VS and BA prices and they are within a couple of quid of each other ... so I'm guessing that fare classes are pretty close, just the allocation per flight might be different. Related to this, BA might be able to spread more because its planes usually have a higher number of premium seats.
Virgin Atlantic