#805659 by Hamster
19 Mar 2012, 20:07
Hey,

Can we please have some clarification on the copyright rule of 100% no copy and paste?

A few posts recently have been copy and pasting and not being dealt with by the mods, including a post by a mod today.

So when is it acceptable to copy and paste, and the rule simply says, not to copy/paste from anywhere. ?|
#805660 by Neil
19 Mar 2012, 20:14
This was explained recently by the Site Admin, Pete, in this thread, but to quote:

"<mod note on>
Copy / paste is ok if it's from a press release - those are implicitly designed to be reproduced with copyright granted"

The moderators monitor all posts, and any appropriate taken if required.

Thanks
Neil
#805661 by Hamster
19 Mar 2012, 20:16
Thanks for that Neil, maybe time to update the copyright announcement?
#805662 by preiffer
19 Mar 2012, 20:18
...and if people *are* copying/pasting from a press release, they should really be putting a link to the actual source in the same post :)
#805665 by Miss G
19 Mar 2012, 21:03
preiffer wrote:...and if people *are* copying/pasting from a press release, they should really be putting a link to the actual source in the same post :)

Not always possible though. I know I've copied a press release that was emailed to me, I didn't have a link to it because it came that way.
#805666 by Neil
19 Mar 2012, 21:05
Hamster wrote:Thanks for that Neil, maybe time to update the copyright announcement?

I've just re-read the copyright sticky, and think it is fine in it's current form.

It is more aimed at copy and pasting from websites, it is very difficult to link to an email and in the main as explained by Pete they are designed with the expectation and okay to be copy and pasted.

As I said earlier, the moderators are monitoring all posts and should we find something that needs addressing we will do so.

Thanks,
Neil
#805671 by Hamster
19 Mar 2012, 21:25
Neil wrote:
Hamster wrote:Thanks for that Neil, maybe time to update the copyright announcement?

I've just re-read the copyright sticky, and think it is fine in it's current form.

It is more aimed at copy and pasting from websites, it is very difficult to link to an email and in the main as explained by Pete they are designed with the expectation and okay to be copy and pasted.

As I said earlier, the moderators are monitoring all posts and should we find something that needs addressing we will do so.

Thanks,
Neil

From my point of view, probably different as not reading it from a mod view, but it says
Posts which are clearly cut and pasted from other sources will be deleted by the Moderators.

And
Reminder for all member. Do not copy/paste from other websites/sources.

That to me, covers everything, that's why I suggested updating it.
#805673 by Neil
19 Mar 2012, 21:37
I guess I can see what you are saying, but I don't think it harms to have it worded slightly more strongly than not, as it better for people to be a bit more cautious if unsure, rather than have an influx of posts containing copyrighted material which would need deleting etc. Anyone not sure can PM a mod before if they wish to seek clarification.

Thankfully it isn't a major issue for us as most of our members are very good at linking to articles/pages rather than directly copy and pasting.

Neil
#805677 by Pete
19 Mar 2012, 22:34
The basic rule on copyright is we follow standard copyright law. Copying original work from another source is a breach of copyright unless permission has been granted. Press releases are a good example of text which implicitly has the right to copy granted. Wikipedia also states their content is free from copyright. But as Paul says, it's almost always better to link to the original content (where possible), just in case the text is updated.

You're probably right that the copyright rule on V-Flyer would hurt with a tweak to clarify that, although Neil is correct in saying it isn't a particular problem as most members do indeed link rather than copy/paste.
#805682 by Hamster
19 Mar 2012, 23:13
Thanks Pete and Neil for clearing up my confusion.
Virgin Atlantic