#790 by Pete
09 Apr 2004, 03:44
Added a new feature this evening, inspired by what I assume was a light-hearted request on A.net for a lookup engine that would always be at his fingertips while reading posts full of three-letter Airport Codes. With ten's of thousands of them, you can understand why!

So, I wrote it for VirginFlyer. In the box above, you can search for an airport code by entering the name, city or country or you can enter an airport code you spot in a post, and it'll tell you the airport.

But then I got carried away, and added all the other things you might want to check while either writing or reading a post, so...

The glossary is there for all those technical terms and abbreviations;

You can use the Aircraft database to check the name & registration of the VS fleet, or enter Suite to see which have Suites, or enter LGW to see the 747s at Gatwick.

Flights will show you which flight number goes where. When it departs, when it arrives and which days of the week it operates. Enter LAX, for instance, and you'll see the flights Virgin operates there, when they depart, when they arrive and the flight number.

And finally (for the moment), you can also check retail therapy. Enter a product name, a category or even a price.

The only thing you need to remember to do is select the database you want to query in the drop down. It's been written so you can check the database while still writing a post (ie, it won't refresh your data and lose the stuff you've been typing).

Pix
#28732 by buns
09 Apr 2004, 11:11
Pix

Once again you have come up trumps.

In the next day or so I hope to post my first trip report, so having the ability to access yours (and many others of course) wealth of information, will prove invaluable.

It might not make my report any better but at least I will be right about what I say!!

Many thanks

Buns4vs
#28737 by Pete
09 Apr 2004, 14:26
Tier Points database now available in the Active Lookup panel. Enter the name of the airline (Virgin or partner) and you'll get a summary of the tier points you can earn in each class and type of travel.

Pix
#28742 by jm
09 Apr 2004, 15:08
Brilliant.
#28747 by TJ
09 Apr 2004, 19:28
Cool :) Thanks Pix :)
#28752 by mitchja
09 Apr 2004, 19:44
Yes thanks Pix - already coming in useful when posting :D
#28764 by Pete
09 Apr 2004, 21:45
Airline codes now added, searchable on the IATA (2-letter) or ICAO (3-letter) abbreviation, or airline name; and also displays the callsign of the airline where known.

Pix
#28772 by Pete
09 Apr 2004, 22:20
Global Country Data now also added. Enter the name of a country to get a summary of things like visa requirements, mains voltage type, vaccination recommendations, etc, etc.

Pix
#28786 by Pete
09 Apr 2004, 23:40
Bucket code lookup now there too. Enter a single letter to check what it is, or enter a cabin name (Upper, Premium Economy, etc) to see the buckets. This is based on Richard Mannion's code guide.

Pix
#28787 by anteo
09 Apr 2004, 23:55
Cool

Thank you :D
Virgin Atlantic