#237156 by HighFlyer
02 Aug 2005, 10:48
Tue 28th June
HKG SIN
D 13.30pm (T3) A 17.15pm (T2)
SQ 859 (777-200)
Scheduled duration: 3hrs 45mins
Seats 12 H &K

This was our first ever SQ flight so we were really looking forward to this one.

Arrived at the airport to find an inviting and empty Raffles Class desk, checked in and were given our requested seats, and luggage given plenty of Priority tags. We were given an invite to the Kris lounge, which is literally steps away from departures. The lounge was really quite nice, a good size and serving an amazing wealth of tasty snacks (hot and cold). I helped myself to a plate of noodles and a drink and sat down beside the TV screens to catch a bit of news.

Boarding was called at 12.50 and we went down to the gate, where the security checks happen. This is the usual in Asia it seems, but seemed odd to me. After screening our hand luggage we gave up our boarding cards and were invited to another seating area. I presumed we would walk straight on to the plane, but at the end of this seating area are the two doors, one for F/J pax and the other for Y. The doors were open so we walked down the F/J door and onto the plane (a 777)

First thoughts as we boarded were oh no, we dont have the Transformer but the seat was actually fine (especially as we had such a short flight), if I had been going on a long flight I wouldnt have been as happy, although the recline on the seats was very good.

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/1327.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/1320.jpg[/img]

The crew on this flight struck a great impression, I cant tell you how good SQ are, although Im sure you have heard about them if you havent experienced it yourself.

Two of the crew came up to us and offered us Champagne and papers, then they came back, kneeled on the floor in front of us (real Thai style) and asked us how they could address us. I only ever want to be referred to as Sarah, not as Mrs or Miss, or Madam, all that stuff sure is polite and makes you feel important, but I prefer the informality. These girls asked me if I was sure it was ok to refer to me by my first name, bless them.

Nibbles were passed around, some roasted nuts and Japanese rice crackers and we had a choice on what we wanted (I asked for both LOL)

We took off spot on time and as soon as we were airborne the service started. Hot towels all round (and I mean hot!) and another drink. Amenity kits were issued and orders taken for dinner.

The salad I had for starter wasnt particularly nice, not their fault but just not to my taste, but my main course was a lovely pasta dish with sun dried tomatoes which I enjoyed immensely. I thought that for such a short flight the main course would be the end of the meal service, but they came round with cheese, then fruit and pudding and then petit fours with coffee, these all came round on a linen covered wide trolley. We had to refuse the rest of the food as we were too full but it all looked lovely. We are not great wine drinkers so unfortunately we cant comment on that, but they had a large selection on offer as well as cocktails such as Singapore Slings.

The other half started watching a film in the middle of lunch, I didnt bother as I knew I wouldnt get to see the end but they had a great choice available, from latest blockbusters to old favorites and foreign films.

This was a really short flight and came to an end before we really had a chance to experience SQ properly, the scheduled flight time was 3hrs 45mins but we got to SIN in a little over 3 hours. We arrived to Changi International with a smooth landing and were out and into the terminal in no time. There is quite a walk to arrivals/immigration and you get to see quite a bit of the terminal, which always seems wrong to me. Changi airport is absolutely lovely, with green plants and a Koi pond inside! As airport terminals go, I wouldnt mind waiting for a flight here.

Had a nice friendly chap stamp us in to Singapore, and as we arrived at the luggage belt our suitcases were just coming round. We went to leave the airport to find a taxi when this young woman came up to us and started asking us questions, she (at first) seemed like an airport representative and asked us where we were going and could she help us in any way. It was only when she asked us whether we still had our boarding passes with us that the penny dropped. I gather she was trying to sell tours or something, so we said that we unfortunately left them on the plane and tried to escape quickly. Watch out for things like this when you are new to a country, it can take you by surprise and sometimes you really have to be on the ball to spot it!

After that adventure, we headed out the door, grabbed a cab and headed straight to the Raffles hotel.