#237157 by HighFlyer
02 Aug 2005, 10:51
Thur 30th June
SIN-BKK
D 13.05pm (T2) A 14.25pm (T2)
SQ 64 (747-400)
Scheduled duration: 2hrs 20mins
Seats 12 H &K

We arrived at Changi Airport around 11.15am, and headed to the Raffles check-in. There were two people ahead of me but the queue moved very quickly. We got our pre-booked 12 H&K and lounge invitations were given. We headed off to the Kris Lounge and were very pleased when we arrived, the lounge was really large and had these superb marine fish tanks in the middle. I keep fish myself so I enjoyed admiring them. After finding a place to sit we helped ourselves to the bounty of food available. They had a great selection, from hot noodles and spring rolls to sandwiches and cakes! It was hard to choose! After loading up a small plateful we relaxed in the lounge, and then made use of the Internet terminals. A short while later the fishes had their sleep time induced by the lights in their tanks being switched off.

The annoying thing about the lounge is that the flights do not get announced/called, so you have to just go to the gate when your boarding pass tells you to. We headed to the gate about 12.35 and joined the security queue. I saw the SQ 744 waiting for us out of the window, which was superb! A 744 for a flight shorter than 3 hours!! Excellent!

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/1321.jpg[/img]

We boarded the plane and were practically the first on. I got to see a glimpse of the First Class seats on boarding, which look pretty good and we took the stairs to the upper deck for our seats 12 H&K. We had the transformer!! Yay!!

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/1322.jpg[/img]

We had a good look round, took a few photos and had a glass of champagne while chatting to the crew. I asked how come they use a 744 on this route and was told that the loads are so high that its the most viable option. The plane started filling up around now and the service commenced with boarding drinks and newspapers. I started playing around with the seat, its truly a great invention and very comfortable. I had a good look around the Wiseman IFE and saw the amazing selection of arcade games they have Centipede!! Im a huge retro games fan so I was very happy with that although it took a while to get used to the controls as some functions seemed to be the exact opposite of V.Port and I kept coming out of the menu when I wanted to select something.

The doors were shut pretty swiftly and the safety video shown as we pushed back, only a few minutes behind schedule. We had a reminder that we should not turn on electrical devices, including Digital Cameras, until the seatbelt sign had been switched off. Now usually Im one of those nerds who likes to get a few aerial shots of the airport as we take off, I had never really thought of a digital camera being electronic equipment I know that might sound daft but judging by the amount of aerial photos I have seen taken from the air, I cant be the only one.

The meal service started quickly, it amazes me how quick they can turn around a full meal service on such a short flight. Dinner started with a starter of green salad and orange segments, a strange dish for me but nicer than I imaged. The main courses (from memory) were a steak option, a fish option (halibut I think?) and a curry choice. I opted for the curry, which was absolutely fantastic, although probably not to everybodys liking. You know that feeling after a hot curry where you feel like you are sweating Madras sauce? That was it! Im a huge fan of hot curries so I was in my element, but I can quite imagine many customers to have not been pleased with this meal either now or the morning after!! ;)

I washed down the meal with a glass of white wine, cant recall what exactly it was but would have been something safe like a Cabernet. SQ do have a varied drinks list onboard and I was tempted to see what an onboard Singapore Sling would taste like (and how it compared to Raffles) I decided not to have one, but if anybody has sampled one let me know!!

We were offered cheese and ice cream after the meal but opted just for a coffee as we were so full. They serve so much food on these flights that its a crying shame to not be able to sample it all! I cant stress enough how well they feed you!

After the meal we reclined our transformers and caught a bit of the IFE. The other half had been watching some amusing foreign film and I had just been flicking back and forth. SQ have a whole library of destination videos, so I watched a few of those for our upcoming destinations, and then got into the onboard quiz! The guy infront of me had reclined to bed mode and had put a blanket over him we must have only had an hour of flight left!

Right about now the Captain came on to announce our descent into Bangkok. We were slightly ahead of schedule and arrived into a cloudy but sunny Bangkok. We were through customs in 10 minutes and had our luggage in 15, where we were met by our hotel rep and driver. He took us to the Shangri-la, and we begin our stay in Thailand.
This flight was a great introduction to the Transformer seat and another top class SQ flight. I wouldnt hesitate to fly them again.