#237158 by HighFlyer
02 Aug 2005, 10:53
Fri 8th July
KUL-SIN (Transit)
D 16.40pm (T1) A 17.35pm (T2)
SQ 113 (777-200)
Scheduled duration: 0hrs 55mins
Seats 12H&K

We checked out of the Mandarin Oriental at 12.00pm where we had a car waiting to take us to KLIA. We arrived to a relatively busy check-in, who accepted our e-ticket without any problems. We asked if we could take an earlier flight as we didnt appreciate that there was one leaving shortly, but we were advised that the flights are always full for the KUL-SIN shuttle and that we could go on standby and wait and see - but we decided just to go to the lounge and wait for our booked flight instead. We had our bags checked through to SYD and were given an invitation to the lounge.

We passed through security after spotting a Fast track lane and headed to the First lounge. All i can say is small! Seriously, the living room in my old house is bigger than this lounge. Im actually surprised as given the number of flights between KUL and SIN it is certainly worth having a larger lounge - and i wish we had taken standby. There were no Internet terminals, which was a real shame - but a fair selection of nibbles, a few warm pieces, and a great selection of imitation Pot Noodles - which i had to try!

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/1326.jpg[/img]

We had a great view from the lounge and watched the shuttle 777's arrive and leave!

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/1324.jpg[/img]

The previous flight was called and the lounge vacated! We were the only people there! We were asked twice what flight we were on as the staff were concerned that we were not leaving wits the other passengers - although i secretly think its because they didnt want us to see the hourly 'make up service' they perform on the lounge - the hoover comes out, the magazines re-shuffled and the food topped up! This magical event stops as soon as it starts and we are left in relative silence for about 10 minutes until the next load arrive. (20 mins or so later and its hard pushed to get a seat!) We found some nice sofas right at the back and took those over while waiting for the call.

The boarding call came and we trundled down to the gate to do the security screening and then board the plane. I was actually disappointed with the F cabin to be honest, possibly the oldest seats on the SQ fleet were on operation and i did wish we had the nice 777 that took us to SIN from HKG a week or so earlier!

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/1325.jpg[/img]

We took our seats, took our obligatory bubbly and hot towel, and watched the cabin fill up. I dont know why they operate a F cabin rather than J? Seems silly to me, the cabin is a J cabin but they call it F and give away F TPS? Silly buggers! Still, im not complaining! Take off was delayed due to some instrumentation issue and two engineers were called. We were initially worried as we had a connection to make, but better safe than sorry. We waited on the ground around 40mins or so and then were given clearance to go!

We had all senior crew on this flight (identified by the differing colours of uniform) and the obligatory Male steward. The guy on this flight didnt seem to do any serving but was happy telling the ladies what to do.

I was prepared that we had a meal coming on this flight - otherwise i would be in sheer disbelief! As soon as the first 'crew bleep' was heard, they were out of their seats and handing out drinks and taking requests for dinner. There was a choice of 'Beef' or 'Mediterranean' sandwiches. I chose the latter, which seemed to compromise of grilled vegetables and wasnt really very nice. I guess SQ feel its hard to be imaginative for their frequent flyers but i do wonder what is wrong with a simple solution like a cheese and pickle sarnie! I believe they used to serve salads on this flight so i gather this is a new change.

After the meal trays were collected we started our descent. As we came down we had a severely bumpy ride for around 30mins and were put into a holding pattern for about 10 minutes. We landed at 17.55 which very good going considering the delays encountered. We hopped off this flight and headed straight for the Kris SIN lounge to wait for our next flight - to SYD!!.

Overall, I was a bit disappointed with the F seat at first, but mainly as I was expecting either the transformer or the blue seat I had to SIN a week prior. In reality there is nothing wrong with the seat at all. The service was top notch though and considering a paid about 65 for this flight, it was utterly fantastic!

This Trip Report is concluded with my SIN-SYD flight here