#237271 by slinky09
08 Aug 2005, 11:22
And now for the return posting. If you've read the outward bound then you'll know that we managed to upgrade with miles for the return. AA have instituted a fee to upgrade, this is $250 per person in addition to the 25,000 miles.

I've travelled a lot on AA in business and pretty much know what to expect. The seats are old cradle style, they're pretty uncomortable, don't recline flat, all manual operation and frankly getting tatty - mine was a bit wobbly and the headrest wouldn't stay were I wanted it. But, better to sleep in than coach and they do have 60' of legroom. We have 9H and J coming back to the bulkhead in front - if you're tall then avoid these since at 5' 8' I can just about touch the partition in front.

IFE in business is the same as in economy, I didn't bother to look at what was on but you do have the option to ask for a personal DVD player and they carry a library of films on board.

We pushed back on time at 1710 and after a circuit of O'Hare take off was at 1745.

Generally you get a little bit better service in business but our crew were not as efficient as expected - they explained that they usually flew 767s so were not fully conversant with the procedures, equipment and routine on the 777. Not disastrously but people had to ask for headphones, drinks and service was a bit slow. AA give you bowls of nuts in business with post take-off drinks and I've always asked for something else since I have a nut allergy - mostly the FA will fetch some pretzels from economy or some dips from first but on this occassion nothing offered.

Had a few glasses of champagene before dinner and read a little. BTW drinks in coach are $5 each but of course free in business - the selection was Pommery champagne, a St Emilion, a Californian Pinot Noir, New Zealand chardonnay, Californian white or sherry, plus the usual spirits. You can usually rely on AA to mix a good bloody mary too if you're in the mood.

Dinner options include a four course meal served separately or a dine on demand with a selection on one tray. Went for the full set which consisted of:

- salad and small tart with sun dried tomato, olives and cheese
- main course option (shrimp and scallop risotto, osso buco, lemon chicken on tagliatelle, and I forgot the fourth) - had the risotto and it was pretty good
- ice cream or some other dessert (didn't have)
- cheese, a rather poor selection of gorgonzola and cheddar.

The crew were not up and down the aisle offering refills, rather if you wanted something you generally had to ask. And a couple of times when my glass was empty they actually just took it away without asking rather than offering a refill - had to go to the galley twice to retrieve a glass. After dinner the lights were dimmed (there's no separate zone for snooze) and we all settled down. One thing I like about AA is that each cabin has small TV monitors at the front showing the sky map so you always see where you are and other data, from take-off to landing. After lights out I hardly saw any crew, no one was asked what breakfast option they would like - and indeed when I awoke no one asked me then either and I had to go to the galley to ask for coffee, and then again for a refill.

Despite the fact that the seats are not a shade on UC managed three hours kip - the flight time was estimated at 7 hrs 18 mins so pretty good from Chicago but the lights weren't dimmed until nearly three hours after take off.

Beautiful morning today and the view of the centre of London was fantastic as we came in over north London and turned over Greenwich for the last descent to land. Touched down at 0710 and about 20 mins behind schedule due to a little air traffic delay - and to gate 34 at T3 which is unusual since AA usually inhabit 14-18. Also a long walk. Immigration for non-UK and EU people was busier than I've ever seen it, so the US citizens on board must have been delayed considerably.

The premium bags off first didn't quite happen to plan and by the time ours arrived we'd been standing at the carousel for about 15 mins.

Overall, better than coach as you'd expect, but if I were to rank it:

Seats 3/10
Food 6/10
IFE 3/10
Crew/service 4/10

AA are pretty efficient but as regards the in flight experience, again it met expectations; but if Virgin flew to Chicago I would simply not bother with AA.