#237677 by mike-smashing
31 Aug 2005, 22:52
VLM airlines are small regional outfit, based out of Antwerp, Belgium. VLM stands for 'Vlaamse Luchtvaart Maatschappij' - 'Flemish Airlines', and they aren't related to KLM at all, rather a competitor!

They are the dominant carrier at London City, fly domestic routes in the UK, as well as across the North Sea/Channel to the Benelux countries, and recently started to compete with Dutch KLM on the LCY-AMS route, with 4 flights per day. KLM wanted three times as much money for the similar flights today!

The drive over to LCY was a doddle, and within 25 minutes of leaving home, I was checking in. Fortunately, the Blackwall Tunnel wasn't being problematic this morning!

VLM are handled at LCY by KLM Ground Services (the dominant ground handler at LCY), and have three check-in desks dedicated for their use (with VLM branding). There were about 3 people in front of me to check in, and the check-in process moved very rapidly, and I had plenty of time for a coffee and pastry before boarding.

LCY is a great airport, because it's compact and deals mostly in business travellers, so security was rapid and efficient.

The flight was called about 15 minutes before our 0755 departure time, and on going down to the gate, we had a brief wait in the gate room before being allowed to board Fokker 50 OO-VLV 'States of Guernsey' for the short flight.

The aircraft had flown in from Antwerp, so our crew were Belgian, but on the UK domestic flights, VLM tend to use British crews (with crew bases in Manchester and Liverpool).

VLM's service style is informal and human, and the two young Belgian women crewing this flight had a good sense of humour and seemed to enjoy themselves while providing a great service.

Before long, the doors were closed, engines started and we taxied out for departure. We were offered a choice of a sweet from a basket as we were getting ready to go. Our takeoff roll started dead on time, and we climed out into the hazy morning.

VLM's inflight service on this morning flight consisted of small tray, with a ham or cheese 'broodje' (Belgian style, with no butter), with a serving of yogurt topped with what tasted like kiwi-fruit jelly and a couple of grapes. Both were nice and fresh - obviously hadn't been sat around for days! The yogurt concoction tasted a bit funny (not off, just weird), so I only tried a bit of it.

There was also coffee/tea provided, along with other drinks (juices, water, soft drinks, etc.), and I'm sure if you wanted a stiffer drink, one would have been available.

Drinks are served in real cups and real glassware, the coffee was of good quality, and the crew came around with refills during the flight. A lemon-scented wet-wipe and a large generous paper napkin were provided as well.

Before long, we were across the North Sea, and it was '20 minutes to landing', descending over the industry at Ijmuiden, before turning final to make a slightly bumpy crosswind landing on the new runway, 18R at Amsterdam. Some of you will know, this new runway is a couple of kilometres from the main Schiphol complex, so we briskly taxied across to the main complex, only to find our stand was blocked, and we had to wait a few minutes in a 'penalty box'.

However, even with the long taxi, and the wait for a stand, we were still parked up early - amidst 737s from Estonia, Air Baltic, and Lithuania! This seems to be a side-effect of VLM's chosen handler at AMS, Menzies Aviation, who also seem to handle most of the Eastern European, Baltic and Balkan carriers!

We did, however, get a real stand, with steps straight into the terminal. No messing around with bus transfers like you do on KLM's flights from LCY.

There were only 12 passengers on this flight, so it looks like VLM are still finding their feet on this route.

I do hope that they stick it out, as they are a great value competitor to KLM, and in my opinion provide a better service.

Cheers,
Mike