#237880 by lynnewob
12 Sep 2005, 03:11
First leg of a trip to Bangkok with Emirates from Birmingham.

BHX - DXB Airbus 330-200
Chauffeur pick up was on time and very pleasant but was a little surprised when a 7 seater mercedes minibus arrived. Dropped at Birmingham in plenty of time for a 10pm overnight flight to Dubai. Only 27 seats in business class and there was only about 12 people so plenty of seats to go around. We had our requested seats of 2 J/K.
Overnight flight, so quickly champagne offered pre-take off and menus and meal requests taken. Approximately 1 hour after take off the meals were given out. A crisp white linen tablecloth placed on the tray table, canapes and starter brought out (with more champagne). As soon as the starter was finished, the main course was brought out your hot meal was served to you in an extremely hot dish served by the FA's with spoon and fork (not silver service) but due to the crockery being too hot for them to handle.
Following the meal it was time for a film, so watched Mr and Mrs Smith with Brad Pitt being suitable eye candy for me and Ms Jolie for my husband! The seats reclined extremely well (all electronically) without encroaching on people behind in any way. Certainly not flat bed like VS but very good regardless.
Had a little snooze and about an hour before landing a continental breakfast was brought out (again on crockery) incorporating fresh fruits and lots of danish to keep you going.

Dubai airport
Had a quick look around DXB airport and picked up a couple of bits and pieces.
Went into the Emirates business class lounge which is extremely large and on two levels. Had another glass of champagne (I didn't really care that it was 8.30am) and sat down for an hour prior to boarding the next leg of the journey).

DXB - BKK Airbus 330-200
I was quite surprised that business class didn't have priority boarding at DXB so queued with everyone else. However, on the ramp to the aircraft, we used the business class ramp which was nice instead of having to queue for the economy section was getting a little busier.
I noticed, we were on exactly the same plane as we were on the outbound birmingham leg due to the fact that my screen was a little 'floppy' and the remote control wouldn't lock when out of the holder. I reported it to the FA and she asked why I didn't report it on the first leg. I said it was just my luck to get exactly the same plane again out of all the aircraft available. A maintenance man was brought in to try and fix it but unfortunately there was insufficient time.
Same seats again of 2 J/K but this time with a couple with baby in 1J/K! Thankfully, the baby slept quite well with only a couple of screeches on this flight. I'll say something for the Emirates business class headphones, they certainly cut out noise well.
Anyway, champagne again prior to take off, followed by a really lovely meal of arabic lamb and couscous, again served in the manner described above.
The business class section was a little fuller this time and the economy section was absolutely rammed due to the plane going on to Jakarta after its initial stop at Bangkok.
Food again couldn't be faulted and the desserts were fantastic with a chocolate and orange mousse covered in chocolate and gold leaf similar to an igloo; fresh fruit; assortment of cheese; a beautifully presented brandy snap style basket containing tiny fruits, with fresh cream or ice cream and a copious amount of after dinner drinks.
At Bangkok airport, priority baggage worked and our suitcases were 2nd and 3rd off.
Our car greeted us followed by a 3 and a half hour drive to the Evason resort at Hua Hin. The only downside is that our driver got lost near the resort and it took an extra 1/2 hour to find it, not the best following a couple of long flights when all you want to do is get there.

Just on a side note, arrived a midnight and had a fantastic night's sleep but decided to upgrade to a pool villa which was relaxing, thus ensuring no need to spend time around quite a busy pool with lots of other people.

Will post trip report on return soon.