#237979 by mike-smashing
19 Sep 2005, 13:11
I booked this ticket on Czech because it was the best value (non-LCC) fare to PRG, and it was at the time BA were going through catering hell. As Czech are members of Skyteam, I also get to earn points on my KLM Flying Blue card.

I wasn't sure what to expect of Czech, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Czech fly from Terminal 2 at Heathrow, and I was dreading there being massive check-in lines (I seem to have nightmares when I think of the Alitalia check-in there), but this wasn't going to be a problem. I arrived about 90 minutes before departure time on the HEx (I forgot my upgrade vouchers!) and headed down to the check-in, by way of Terminal 1 and the little-publicised walkway through the Queen's Building - avoiding the horrible mile-hike underground through the tunnels.

Czech are handled by fellow Skyteam member Air France at Heathrow, and the check-in desks are shared between Czech and AF. There was even a 'hand luggage only' check-in. No queuing and very quick and efficient check-in.

Unfortunately, all the window seats had gone, but I got an aisle seat, near the back of the plane.

I went through security, where there weren't any bad queues, and the departure passport check, and then headed upstairs to get coffee from Caffe Nero (no lounge access for me on Skyteam!), just as the inbound aircraft was landing - looked like quite a sporty landing, loads of tyre smoke!

Terminal 2 actually looked pretty smart, all the seating seems to have been replaced (with rather VS-looking smart red leather), there's still a bit of redevelopment going on, especially around the duty free shop, and the airside food area on the mezzanine has recently been redeveloped. I know some people don't like Terminal 2, but I don't mind it, it's compact and doesn't get too busy from my experience - unless flights are very late or cancelled. When things work, it's okay, but there isn't much slack in the system.

About 30 minutes before departure time I headed down to Gate 15 to board our 737-400, named after the Czech town of 'Pisek', registration OK-CGT.

There was about 10 minutes of 'holding' in the gate room before boarding started, and once it did, Czech did an interesting technique: they loaded the back 5 rows of economy first, then Business class, and then the rest of the cabin from the back forward. This seemed to speed up the boarding process quite well.

Unfortunately, being at the back had it's downsides. The legroom was very very tight, almost like a charter. If you're sat further forward in economy (in front of the overwing exits), these are convertible seats between Business and Economy class, and have lots of legroom. Down at the back, these are 'Sicma' economy seats, and apart from a charter flight, they had to be among the most uncomfortable seats I have flown in.

Being a rather 'well built' person, I couldn't actually have the tray table down without it digging into my stomach! I don't think this was helped by an enormous (really tall and big, not overweight) Czech guy in front of me - almost like the seat sagged back under his weight!

However, this wasn't to be a problem, despite the flight being rather packed. The door was shut, and the back two rows were completely empty, so a quick move got me an aisle seat in a whole row to myself!

Otherwise, the plane was clean and in very good condition.

OUT a couple of minutes late at 1445 local, and we taxied out to Runway 27R, no long queues while taxiing, and I've noticed that the parked Concorde has moved (I guess to be put in it's new home at T5). OFF was at 1457 local, a fairly long takeoff roll, and a left turn toward Dover.

Routing took us over Dover, Liege, Frankfurt and Bayreuth, and the flight was smooth for all except the last 25-30 minutes.

The cabin service started quickly, and the cabin crew were efficient and friendly. The Purser looked after the business class cabin, and three attendants (two female, one male) handled the main cabin.

I was pleasanty surprised by the food for a short (1h40) flight, we got a light meal on a tray, with two fresh bread rolls (one while, one brown), a 'deli' plate, with slices of a plain and smoked cheese, a ham and some other meat (which looked a bit like tongue or salt beef), sliced peppers and couscous. Dessert was two mini chocolate eclairs. Bar service was provided with the meal (Pilsner Urquell and a water for me), and tea and coffee was served afterward. The Czech Airlines coffee was quite nice, a light coffee, that didn't blitz your tastebuds!

(I'll upload some pics shortly and put them into the post!)

Some turbulence in the descent to Ruzyne airport, and on landing, the pilot bounced the aircraft a couple of times and the flight deck door flew open! [;)]

ON was at 1733 local, and IN dead on time at 1740. Immigration was rather busy, with several flights from London and what looked like Denmark having arrived. The line looked terrible and disorganised, but it actually moved fairly quickly.

No checked bags, so out, into a cab, and at my hotel within 35 mins of landing, not bad at all.

I'd fly Czech again, it all seems well organised and run, and the food was very good. The business class looked excellent for a European business product. Everyone else at this meeting who flew on Czech (all hardened roadwarriors like me), also spoke highly of their experience. Just watch out for that tight leg room!

Cheers,
Mike