#237981 by jmf
19 Sep 2005, 16:22
As I mentioned in my VS075 Trip Report the passage through passport control and customs was a breeze, much better than ATL and on a par with EWR. Where it beats EWR though is the ease of transferring luggage - almost immediately you pass through customs a TSA agent directs you to one side for them to check your luggage again and put it on the transfer belt. I think the fact that for most people MCO is their final destination means the occassional transfer passenger is dealt with very efficiently. My last trip through EWR was a nightmare, there were so many of us transferring that a queue had built up at the desk, some of us were then traipsed across the airport to another carousel.

Once I'd ditched my luggage it was up to the security area again to pass back through into the gate area. There were no lines there either (again unlike EWR or ATL), so I was through there, over to the Outback Outpost for lunch in no time (btw I can definitely recommend the Bonzer Chicken Wrap). No long walk to the gate as my flight was due to depart in just over 2 hours from gate 71.

I was called over to the desk just before boarding (I'm sensing a pattern here!) because they wanted to switch me to the other side of the aisle so that they could have two seats together to give to a couple with mobility problems - I was sat in the bulkhead row (10) just behind F - so I was just moved from 10B to 10C.

Delta board by zone, so it was a good job in the end that I had my pass reprinted as otherwise I wouldn't have know what one I was in as this is printed on the Delta BP and not on the VS one I was given in MAN. Luckily I was in Zone 1 so was able to board with the F passengers. I have to say it never ceases to amaze me at the size of the carry-ons that Americans take on the plane - surely one way of saving money on fuel costs would be to reduce the allowance thereby reducing the weight of the plane! We took off on time for a nice smooth flight to Atlanta. There was one drinks and peanuts service, but having planned ahead and brought water this time, so didn't need to take up the offer.

Once we landed being in Row 10 I was off the plane quite quickly. We landed at the T terminal (I think that's the first time I've done that and I've been to ATL too many times to remember!) and my flight to Pensacola was due to depart from Terminal B. gate 24 in 2 and a half hours, so it was off to the train ... and on to the next TR!