#238172 by sky
30 Sep 2005, 22:53
Krakow is fantastic, want to go somewhere for a weekend of ultra cheap drinking and pretty women I can heartily recommend it [:D]. It is a true student city, everything is walking distance and dinner for two is 10 quid with beer.

Took a cab back to the airport and struggled with my large arrays of bags, I have decided I need to find somewhere in London to park two of them, I cannot travel around with 5 pieces of luggage! At checking they charged me 35 quid for 7 kilos of overweight, overzealous BA staff! (to be fair, I actually had 14 kilos over and they charged me for half of it), but such is life, easy go easy come :).

Quickly through security at Belice, which is handled by large heavily armed police that actually look very reassuring, followed on by a quick stint at the executive lounge there, shared by all airlines so was very full. They had a ok selection of stuff, no champagne though, but bottled water was good enough for me to nurse my hangover. Sadly they announced boarding far to early and you have to pass passport control and then straight to the overcrowded gate area, despite the plane being 15 minutes late.

RANT

WHY IN THE NAME OF [YOUR CHOSEN DEITY] DO AIRLINES PERSIST NOT TO OPTIMISE THE FLOW OF THEIR PASSANGERS TO SUIT THE CURRENT OPERATIONAL STATUS IN STEAD OF THE MADEUP OPERATION SCHEDULE THEIR TIMETABLE OR OPERATION MANUAL SAYS, 'YES SIR THE PLANE IS NOT HERE YET BUT MY COMPUTER SAYS IT WILL DEPART ON TIME SO IT WILL!' THIS IS SO ANNOYING AND IF I WAS DICTATOR OVER THE WORLD I WOULD INSTANTLY THROW AN AIRPORT STAFFER IN JAIL IF THEY PERSISTED IN THIS STUPIDITY

RANT OFF

So I had to stand for 20 minutes with the rest of the pax waiting to get on the bus, and then another 10 minutes on the bus. We boarded the 734 and I got accused by a fellow business class traveler of taking on too much hand luggage, I calmed him down and told him I new the cabin was only half full! Cabin crew took my two hanging items but as standard no preflight drink.

After a bit of a wait we got airborne and from hereon I must say the service was excellent, our pursuer stayed in the front cabin most of the time, and I quickly got a small bottle of Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top Champagne which at least is champagne, together with 3 glasses of water.

While sipping this and feeling better again (do I need to see a shrink about the fact that I feel better whenever I fly?) after the incident of stupid announcements I started working on my laptop. After a while the pursuer asked if I wanted food and the choice was chicken pasta or a meat plate, since I am wheat allergic and avoid pasta it was meat plate. She then asked if I wanted it at once or closer to landing since I was working on my laptop, so it seems there is a small freedom available [:)].

A selection of italians hams and sausages together with mozarella, asparagus and tomato was very nice, followed by a selection of cheese and some truffles. I was very pleasantly surprised with this meal. I got another bottle of the bubbly, and enjoyed the meal! Only downer was the nearly undrinkable tea, I take my tea black and this was clearly not up to it.

We were a bit in late for landing, but I got an extra glass of water in a plastic cup I was allowed to keep for the landing, very thoughtful of the cabin crew.

Waiting for luggage was as always pretty annoying, and then a treck over to Gatwick Express and on my way into central London.

I must say an enjoyable flight, the staff in the bizz cabin was a very charming and attentive lady and it was well worth the 12 quid (2 quid fare + 10 quid taxes) upgrade cost to get this really good experience.

Now, I am thinking, to reach gold on BA, maybe I should fly down to Pristina and take a look at the airport there [:D], can I expect VIP treatment [:D].