#238278 by jmf
06 Oct 2005, 23:33
An early start to the long journey home .. but not as early as it should have been. Thanks to Delta's ever changing schedules my original flight at 7am has been cancelled (along with the one before that at 6-ish - it's beginning to look like Delta are deserting Mobile the way they're ditching flights!) and I'm now booked on the 8.50. Given that Mobile is a small regional airport there was no point getting there much earlier than an hour and a half before departure.

I checked in and hadn't realised that DL had recently changed their limits on baggage allowance and it is now down from 2 x 70lb to 2 x 50lb. I had one bag that was 2lb over, so was told that I could move that from one case to the other (which was only 38lb) or pay $25 for the overage. Now were we allowed to have proper locks on cases as they pass through the TSA's hands all would have been fine, but in order to avoid the possibility of having my locks destroyed I put plastic tags on. I asked if they had any tags at all that I could replace mine with as I would have to break them to remove them and didn't have any spares. In the end though, she took pity on me and let it slide. I've since seen the discussion over on FT and given that it's only a recent change they're allowed to do this for returning pax. At least I'll know for next time and I won't put the large bottles of Canadian Mist in the same suitcase [:D]

There wasn't much point going through security straightaway - there's only 7 or 8 gates, so it's not the longest walk and it takes all of about 2 minutes to get through security. Plus this time I'm on my own, normally when I travel with my best mate, every time, without fail she gets stopped and has her bag emptied. It's a standing joke and we always allow time for it. However she wasn't able to make this trip so I didn't need to fact that in [;)]

I hadn't really noticed at this point just how misty it was outside so hadn't really given the weather much thought .. that was to soon change! Turns out that our flight had been unable to land and had been diverted to GPT, the GA was great about giving us as much info as she was able. She was very upfront about basically not really having any idea at this point when it would get here and what time we'd eventually get to ATL, that the next scheduled DL flight at 13.10 was oversold and that there wasn't really any other option open to us other than to wait. If that meant that we'd then have problems with any onward connections in ATL we were to form an orderly queue and she'd re-book our connections. I'm sat in the chairs nearest the desk, so figure, no point in rushing to queue (at this point my 35 minute connection ATL is not going to be made!), might as well wait until the queue gets to me. I'm not in the least concerned since I know there are a number of options open to me - there's another ATL - MCO at 1ish and if all else fails there's a direct PNS - MCO flight in the afternoon so I can always get my friend to drive me there if they end up cancelling this one altogether.

Whilst the GA is re-booking everyone who needs to be, she's keeping us all updated as she gets info through from Gulfport - once the plane has been re-fueled it will be making the short journey to MOB (about 25 min flying time), that they'll call her when they've left and she'll pass the info on to us.

The flight eventually arrives and it's turned around pretty quickly and we're taking off at around 10.30. We'll arrive in ATL at 12.30 local time and that will give me plenty of time to pick up my next flight to MCO which is due to leave at 13.05.