#238667 by fozzyo
30 Oct 2005, 16:45
In work we have just bought a fantastic new Document Management System, and the suppliers offered to take me to the developers in Duisberg for the training - their shout. I wasn't going to object.

This is a one hour flight from Birmingham over to Dussledorf, not very much can happen in that time. Since I am yet to write up our UCS trip reports I thought I would but this in, mostly for one observation.

I met S. and L. at the airport at the arranged time, decided that it was silly to go into work for two and a half hours so had a nice lie in. Virgin Trains delivered me to Birmingham International spot on time and took the short Sky Train ride over to the airport and wandered through to Terminal 2.

Checkin was good, nice and friendly with a smile. S. and L. both checked in hold luggage, since we were only going for two nights I just had my small rucksack with me but wasn't sure if it would be too large / heavy as hand luggage. I asked the check-in person and she suggested I use their Valet Service. This is the bit that made me write the TR.

I was not aware of such a service existing, but thought it was fantastic! If you only have hand luggage but it is slightly oversize / weight or you just can't be bothered fitting it in the overhead lockers this allows you to put your bag in the hold. As you board the aircraft you leave it at the stairs, then as you disembark at your destination you pick it up. No waiting at baggage claim, all the convenience of hand-luggage but without the risk of injurying someone if it flys out of a locker.

The flight itself was good, teeny little plane (1-2 configuration that I could only just about stand up in). Half a sandwich and tiny slice of cake with a drink was served. Small note about this, on the return flight I asked for a Coke and Orange Juice - only to be given a very stern 'its one drink per passenger Sir'. I nearly asked him for his handbag.

Dusseldorf airport was nice, we waited there for two hours! S's girlfriend was coming over on a reward ticket booked onto a Lufthansa flight with United miles. The first booking had be cancelled by them, then the one made in the morning then 'didn't exist', they then refused to issue a ticket. It took two hours and S on two mobiles at the same time while his girlfriend was at the airport also trying to get it sorted out. Non of us were impressed. The Indian call-centre who didn't seem to be able of putting him through to anyone of any authority didn't help either.

And for fans of The League Of Gentlemen I am very dissappointed to say that I never did make it to the Duisberg Cafe. [:#]

Mat