#239183 by n/a
30 Nov 2005, 02:35
At long last, it was time to fly the competition in their First class and see if it knocked UC out of the ballpark. Ladies and gentlemen, let me put you out of your anticipatory misery: UC is far superior.

My check-in at SEA was easy and swift, with smiles from the desk clerk and warm wishes for a happy flight. That good start was somewhat undermined, however, by the Sea-Tac BA First Lounge. It was the size of a postage stamp and had none of the pizzazz and style of the VS Lounges. Score: BA 0 - 1 VS

I enjoyed some Champagne served by a nice lad and read the Elite Travel magazine (cover price: $35 [:0]) and then the flight was called. I was so excited to see the interior of the BA 747 First cabin!

I needn't have bothered getting excited. Whilst it is a perfectly servicable and comfortable seat -- I slept a full 6 hours [|)] and awoke uncramped -- it is, dare I say it, a bore. The UCS has so much more style and the finishes are so much more unstuffy. Seat 2A is therefore rated Underwhelming. Score: BA 0 - 2 VS

Service was superb. I was greeted by name and was well-attended to (even though I slept for the majority of the flight). All my food and drink orders were dispatched with speed and when I asked for a copy of The Sun (for the footy news, I swear) they all shared a good laugh with me about Page 3 and we also shared a memory or two about poor old Bestie, god rest his soul. Score BA 1 - 3 VS

The food was nowhere NEAR as good as it should have been. The canapes, the starter (Scotch salmon and cream cheese rolls), the main (a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner of turkey and trimmings) and the pumpkin pie were almost flavourless...if I had to describe the meal I would say it reminded me of a school cafeteria's output, which was disappointing given the note in the menu about their star chef-filled food committee. Complain all you want about VS food, but on this flight, VS was a hands-down winner. Score: BA 1 - 4 VS

In-flight entertainment was odd...some of the channels didn't work, then they did, then they didn't again. The whole notion of having to compete with fellow travellers to get the movie you want on mini-tape is a bother (especially when one only wishes to see a single movie out of the 20 or so on offer). The lameness of the IFE was further inspiration to pop my Ambien and go off to sleep. Score: BA 1 - 5 VS

Upon landing and getting my bags in short order ([y]), the BA Arrivals lounge is servicable but nowhere near as friendly or fun as the VS Arrivals lounge. This facility was clean and they had a Swiss-style, multi-head shower but no radio and certainly no VS spirit. It did the trick, but offered no great shakes, frankly. Score: BA 1 - 6 VS

So...I was completely ready to be blown away by a flight that retailed at USD16,000 and tried so hard to double-question myself around my criticisms. But I had to admit that the BA First experience left me disappointed, or at least, convinced that -- for a quarter of that money -- I would have had a much better experience on VS. I took this flight for convenience sake (direct from SEA to LHR instead of having to fly down to SFO to catch the VS service) but I would happily trade the slight convenience for the excellence of the VS product.

Final score: BA 1 - 6 VS (or, exactly the same score that Man U will beat Chelsea by next time we play them!!! [:p])

Final word: All my hunches were correct -- VS remain the best thing I've experienced in the sky!

Respectfully submitted,
The Grinning Jackanapes