#254328 by RobL
03 May 2008, 10:55
Thought I would do a tr for this flight as I have been doing a lot of business travel (in Y) with QF recently and it has been a while since I flew with them.

Checked in on line the morning of the flight, some 10hours before departure, and was offered two seats together in row 29 the only two seats together which were showing as available - so took them!

Arrived at airport and as we had no luggage to check passed the huge bag drop lines and made our way to security. No probs as usual and we took a seat at the gate. The DJ terminal is dated and more cramped when compared to the QF terminal - otherwise not much in it.

The hello 'Ladies and gents, boys and girls' is imho a bit ott and after a few announcements was beginning to grate. Anyway it was nearly time for boarding and they welcomed those with small children and those requiring a bit more time to board first then as soon as these folks were through the door the general free for all started immediately behind them. QF don't do this everyone can board from the outset.

As we were in the back we were asked to use the back stairs - so out the terminal down the stairs across the tarmac and up the stairs - those in the front half use the jetway. I have to admit this does speed up the boarding process. QF only board through the jetway on the front door and boarding takes an eternity - or seems to. For some reason we sat on the tarmac waiting for 10-15mins before being pushed back.

Then we had the safety demo which is introduced as the 'serious' part of the flight - which I agree with. But was somewhat let down by the female cc member giggling throughout. An uneventful flight followed. Trolley took so long to get through the aircraft we only got a drink as we started our descent into Hobart. One thing I noticed on QF all electronic devices, laptops ipods etc, have to be turned off as soon as descent begins where as with DJ it is when the seatbelt sign is turned on. Also when the seatbelt sign is turned on on QF the crew sit down and strap in too.

Landed about 10 mins late and used front and rear doors to disembark. Hobart International doesn't have jetways so all onto tarmac. Was surprised to see quarantine inspectors in the arrivals lobby with all passengers being screened - busy little beagle!

All in all a reasonable experience. We only flew DJ as they offered the cheapest fare at time of booking as did JQ on the return leg.

I think they have an ID issue - they strive to be low cost 'keeping the air fair' or 'flair' now whilst trying to win business passengers from QF with the new Premium Economy and the Lounges whilst TT and JQ are snapping at their heels with the true lowcost no frills model.

Rob

PS sorry for the delay in posting the tr I have been rather preoccupied