#854366 by Almeida
14 Aug 2013, 09:44
This was my first trip to South Africa so it was especially exciting. Check in had quite a long queue but it moved fairly quickly and going through security was quick and easy. After browsing the shops and having a sandwich I undertook the fairly long walk to the gate at Terminal One and waited to board.

The flight time was 10hr 34m when we had a scheduled time of 11hr 15m. I was sat in an aisle seat in a two. The seat pitch was 33" which was better than Virgin's and it did make a difference to comfort levels. We pushed off around half and hour late and were soon in the air and on our way.

The entertainment systems were good with well over 50 movies and lots of albums. There seemed to be a problem with my system which had to be rebooted before we realised I had a dodgy pair of headphones! Drinks service was regular and they were happy to serve you more when you wanted them from the galley. I did like the fact they gave you a small bottle of water that was chilled rather than simply pouring you a glass from a lukewarm bottle as Virgin have done. The food was not great at all but pretty standard airline economy food. They did at least offer a choice between Continental and cooked breakfast.

The flight was smooth and uneventful with some very light turbulence over Southern Africa. I found sleeping in the not so comfortable economy cabin next to impossible though. We landed slightly ahead of schedule in JNB and in plenty of time for the connecting flight to CPT. I would rate SAA above VS due to the better seat pitch.