#856693 by Fuzzy14
06 Sep 2013, 13:21
Another old trip report that I’d forgotten to submit.

I needed to go back to the south coast again, this time from Aberdeen. The EasyJet flight would have got me in too late to get to my hotel in Eastbourne so on a colleague’s recommendation I booked the British Airways to London City, which would be a first.

Left my work late afternoon and took the bus from Aberdeen City to the Airport. It did seem to take a long time to get there (40 mins to cover 5 miles) but I had allowed plenty of time and it was only a couple of pounds onto the expense claim.

Got to see more of Aberdeen Airport this time, turns out I hadn't missed much the last time! Checked in without any bother (hand baggage only), got through security who took an interest in my bag due to my steel toe-cap boots but let me continue. Into the departure lounge, bought a horrendously priced pint of Stella, and sat at the gate to drink it. The small airport soon fills up, the flight was called early and I had to drink quickly with the cabin crew watching!

Seated at the back of an Embraer, half empty flight so I had room to stretch out. Deli bag provided instead of a meal, a can of beer, read for a bit and then it was time to come in and land. Came in over Dagenham, the Lower Thames Crossing, in from the east and down onto the runway. I knew London City had a steeper approach and shorter runway but it wasn't as exciting as I’d hoped for!

Out of the plane very quickly, and LCY being rather small was onto the DLR platform within a couple of minutes. Got the train to Victoria and then changed onto the Gatwick line for heading south, it was fine with just hand luggage but I wouldn't fancy doing it with a suitcase. I made the classic mistake of trying to talk to somebody on the Tube who looked very confused by the approach until they realised I was Scottish. :P

Overall impressed by the BA service into London City, it’s a very handy airport, the cross London connection wasn't that much of a hassle (7pm so reasonably quiet) and I’d use it again if flying myself. y)