#856694 by Fuzzy14
06 Sep 2013, 13:28
Another old trip report that I’d forgotten to submit (last one, promise!)

The previous week I’d flown down to Gatwick on British Airways and I wasn't impressed. In the meantime I’d flown back up on EasyJet, and back down to LCY on BA, both flights went well. It was time to go back home, let’s see if it’s better than my last experience… :?

Once again I’d got the Southern Rail into Gatwick Airport and the monorail across to the north terminal. Gatwick is pretty impressive these days, all refurbished and modern. Checked in using the kiosk, went straight through security and into the Wetherspoons for a pint and a meal. Kept checking the boards and noted that the ‘gate announcement’ time kept getting pushed back. Not a good sign... ?|

I had another pint to toast St Andrew but decided I’d better leave it at that, and had a wander down to the gate which despite my previous visit is still a bit confusing and further than I remembered. There was a big queue to get out of the departure lounge and down to the gate (where they separate domestic from international passengers). Finally reached the gate to be hit with an announcement that the flight, now 30 minutes after departure time, would be delayed by a further 30 minutes “due to the late arrival of the incoming aircraft”. This is the most infuriating excuse they use. :(! Might as well say they’re late because they’re late. It gives no information. v(

Wondered if I had time to go back for a pint. ): Decided to leave it, seen too many TV programs with drunken Scots being denied boarding... 30 minutes came and went, eventually another 20 minutes later the boarding call went out and we boarded 1.5 hours late.

Flight was absolutely rammed full. Again it was a 23 year old 737-400 :0 . Was seated in the very last row, aisle seat. The seats wouldn't recline due to the toilets and equipment behind, and I was constantly bumped by passengers and crew moving past.

The captain came onto announce that they wouldn't be allowed to push back from the stand as there wasn't a take-off slot available. Sat on the tarmac for another 20 minutes. He then came on to say there was an emergency landing preventing us from pushing back. I immediately got out my phone and checked Twitter/Flightradar but couldn't see any. :? However I’m guessing British Airways won’t entertain any compensation claims if the flight is delayed due to incidents like these (although 2hr and 30mins of the delay was their fault). We then got pushed back from the stand to let another plane arrive but just sat at a remote stand. Finally took off just under 3 hours late. I’m never flying from Gatwick on a Friday night again! xx(

Was sat next to a very drunk and chatty businessman who obviously taken advantage of his expense account, he spent most of the flight pestering cabin crew for more gin. At least I had a seat, I noticed a ‘civilian’ sitting in one of the jump seats, at first I thought she was off duty crew hitching a ride but the more I listened I realised she was a passenger and they didn't have a seat for her. v( As soon as the plane took off her seat was folded away and she had to stand in the galley for the flight.

Plane landed at Glasgow at 9pm and I was greeted by my tired boys, well past their bedtime! :)

So in summary, just as I thought they couldn't get worse another really poor flight with BA. They need to put larger, more reliable planes onto their Gatwick service. However I get the impression that “London Airways” don’t really care about their domestic service. n(