#865486 by welsheagle
28 Jan 2014, 17:59
And so to the next leg from Johannesburg to Durban.

I had booked on Kulula, a LCC which I have not used before.
I had checked in while waiting at LHT the afternoon before so I went straight to Bag Drop and the very cheerful and friendly lady reprinted my Boarding Pass so as to “save you being sent back when the machines cannot read the bar code” on my tablet.

Quickly through Security and my first cold Windhoek Lager which went down a treat.

Boarding was done quickly with some being sent down the stairs to the back door and the rest of us through the main door.
The flight was full but was ready for pushback a few minutes early and off we went. While waiting for this to happen, I was watching the Highveld afternoon storm coming closer and closer with its usual spectacular lightning and was wondering whether we would get away before it hit the airport.
We did and had soon done our 180 turn to head for Durban, catching the upper layers of the storm as we climbed out on an easterly heading.

Kulula is known as one of those airlines which is very laid back and with witty announcements but this flight was very professional and the announcements and demonstrations were done without any attempt at wit.

No food or drink unless you wanted to pay for it and I was still conscious about messing up their CoG calculations (for enlightenment, see the TR on the first leg from LHR) so declined their kind offer to empty my wallet.

The flight was short and fairly smooth and after a lengthy float above the runway, a smooth touchdown and then some heavy braking before taking the very last turnoff.

The doors were opened letting in the heat and humidity and I realised that I would not be a worry to the return crews when it came to their CoG issues as I would have lost any little excess weight I might have been carrying over the next day or two.

Soon off and picked up my luggage which had been tampered with at Johannesburg. A common occurrence, evidently, but the first time it had happened to me. I reported it but it seems I had nothing which they wanted and everything was still where it should be. Out into the Arrivals hall for an emotional reunion with the family.