#866301 by downhillski1
10 Feb 2014, 01:38
This is the first TR of what will be many over the next few weeks. Doing JFK-SFO-LAX-SYD-ADL-SYD-MEL-SYD-JFK. Got stuck at work so had to run home and leg it to the airport. I took the train out to Jamaica from Penn Station and then the air train. Quick and easy. If I have an evening flight, especially ones on a friday, I avoid driving or taking a limo/taxi at all costs due to traffic on the Van Wick (the only highway into JFK!)

I arrived at 3:45 or so and check in was quick, about a 5 minute wait. As I was going standby, I was issued a boarding pass without a seat number. I knew I would make the flight however, as my friend who works for Jet Blue (and got me the standby ticket) said there were 46 open seats.

Security was painless, and included going through a dreaded body scanner. Once at the gate, I noticed the flight was even more delayed (from the initial 1hr15min) to over 3.5 hours, due to horrible weather over SFO. Because of the kind of ticket I was on, I couldn't change to the 6:30 on time flight to San Jose, so I just stuck with it.

At just past 6, the gate agent came on and said we'd be moved up to a 6:50 boarding and a 7:20 departure, to cheers and clapping from everyone in the gate.

In the mean time, they provided water, soda, and chips to everyone, which I thought was nice.

Boarding was called and I was given seat 20F. I made my way to the plane and had a seat. We departed soon after and took off after about a 15min taxi.

I had the terra blues chips (always good) and a roast beef sandwich (very average but I was starving).

After a very very long flight, 6 hours 35 min (I've made it across the pond quite a bit in less time than that!) we landed in SFO at 12:20ish.

My bag was one of the first 10 out and I hopped in a taxi to my friends place.