#871644 by welsheagle
28 Apr 2014, 13:15
According to the Air France web site, check can be performed up to 30 hours before the flight. Although I was flying City Jet, it was with an Air France code so, as I was still awake at 00:15 after watching MotD, I gave it a try. I was redirected to the City Jet pages but they only open for OLCI 24 hours before the flight.

Next morning (yesterday) I tried the City Jet site again, found my booking under the Manage Booking function and hit the Online Check-in button . I was then told that my flight could not be found! I tried again at odd times through the day but always with the same response.

So, a slightly earlier alarm at 4 this morning and off to Cardiff to check in. On arrival at the desk, I was told that due to the incoming flight being late the previous evening, the crew had insufficient rest time and the flight would be delayed by approximately 45 minutes. Oh well, I could have done with a bit of additional rest as well!

At this stage, I must say that Cardiff Airport is looking much better even though it is still in the middle of its face lift. One thing though – maybe I was still half asleep – there is no sign from the check-in area telling passengers where to go for Security. I actually think it is brighter and more cheerful and friendly than Bristol now.
Speaking of Security, two desks were staffed but only one was actually checking passengers. I went through without any problems and while redressing myself and repacking my laptop, etc., two of the ladies (one working the machine and the other facing the pax and pushing their trays through started having words. This soon developed into quite a Domestic until the supervisor had to tell them to behave in front of the public and that he would sort the issue out when they could get away from the public view.

The gate number eventually appeared on the overhead boards and I joined the rest of the self-loading cargo making their way to Gate 3. There stood our bird – I would like to say resplendent in the morning sunshine but firstly, it was a typical dull Cardiff morning and, secondly, the aircraft looked like she could do with a bit of a wash. The airline colours are drab and unexciting which does nothing for the sleek lines of the F50 and this continues to the inside where it is very outdated and dull and shows the age of the aircraft but, importantly, clean.
Although in City Jet colours, it is actually operated by VLM.
It only took a couple of minutes and the cargo had loaded itself. I had seat 11A towards the back, behind the wing. I find it much quieter and more comfortable to be behind the engines on turboprops.

The flight was less than 50% full and I estimated about 22 pax plus the 3 crew – 2 up front and 1 looking after the cabin.
Engines were started just before 7am and it was a short taxi to runway 30, a surge forward and we were on our way to Edinburgh. Routing took us north over Brecon, Liverpool, the Lake District and Carlisle before turning east for a direct approach from the west into EDI.

The flight itself was smooth but ground visibility was virtually zero as it was overcast most of the way.
Shortly after the seat belt signs going off, the CC moved through the cabin with drinks and breakfast which consisted of a choice of 3 different kinds of health/breakfast bars. Coffee was the usual airline standard, vaguely tasty and tepid.
A second coffee run was done. This time, the coffee was hot. What a pleasure. Even made up for the weak flavour.
Shortly before TOD, the Golden Haired God from up front, made his first announcement with a weather report at our destination. Basically, a nice day with plenty of sunshine and good weather.

We then proceeded to descend through 3 layers of thick cloud before touching down smoothly onto a wet runway under grey, overcast skies. Once parked up next to Little Red and off the aircraft, I checked my weather app but they obviously get their info from the same source as they were also declaring that it was a fine, sunny day in EDI. Looking out of the office window right now, I still see no sign of any sunshine!

Hopefully, they will have caught up on the delay by the time I return this evening.

Sorry for the verbosity. I will try to keep the return TR a bit shorter.