#871728 by Kraken
30 Apr 2014, 08:11
To give an idea how much connecting traffic Emirates have through Dubai – we checked in online within about 5mins of T-24 and got SEQ numbers 300 & 301. So an awful lot of people on our flight are in transit through Dubai from elsewhere. The Emirates business model works.

We were dropped off at the vast expanse that is Emirates T3 by taxi. The taxi was able to drop us off at the Business / First drop-off zone. First impressions are “this terminal is huge, but seemingly quiet”. Bags dropped and we made our way through security in no time, followed by the lift up to the departures level.

When up at departures level, the terminal did not seem over busy. We bought duty free (OK, T-10) as you do, then headed up to the Emirates Business Class Lounge near gate B18.

The lounge is huge, but we felt the service was poor. The only liquid drinks openly on offer for self-service were Orange Juice & Water. We had to ask a waiter for Diet Cokes. I appreciate where we were [Dubai] but there is no reason why a decent choice of non-alcoholic drinks could not have been on display. We got our Diet Cokes, but no refills were offered. I can only assume that alcoholic beverages are available if you want them, but you’ll have to ask for sure.

One sideline – all our Apple products (MacBook Air’s, iPhones & iPads) all developed a “pink hue” on the screens after going through DXB security screening. The hue wears off after a bit of use, but you have to wonder what settings they have the x-ray on.

Anyway, after an hour or so in the “dryest of dry” [i.e. refills not offered for even non-alcoholic drinks] Business Class lounge, boarding was called, so downstairs to B18. Boarding was well organized & all Business Class / Platinum / Gold card holders were actively sent down a different line.

Onboard the 2-class 777 and into 3K/3J which was to be our home for the next 7 and a bit hours. Initial impressions are “this is way better than the A380” – probably because we’re travelling as a couple, so can at least sit together & talk to each other, which you cannot do on the A380.

Pushed back a minute early and had a fairly short taxi – all watched on the nose-wheel camera on ICE. Took-off at about 14:50 and we’re expected into MAN at about 19:00 local time.

My outbound trip report was not over complimentary about the crew / the food on the outbound flight. Let’s just say the inbound flight was the complete opposite. The crew were excellent, as was the food. There was still a random element about the service – doubtless to ensure Skywards members with Platinum / Gold status were served first, but this flight was much better than the outbound.

Again, we both had the Smoked Salmon, followed by the Beef Steak. Both can only be described as excellent. The smoked salmon was very thick – a generous portion (no “3 prawns = a cocktail”, that you get on Virgin). The steak was again a generous size and very tender. We followed this with the Chocolate Ganache Cake, then the excellent cheese board. We were well and truly stuffed.

Really liked the way the crew can “kill” all the window shades at a touch of a button to send the cabin into quiet mode. Loved the mood lighting with star-effects above the aisles too. Unfortunately for us, a family of 4 [judging by the speed of their service – a Platinum / Gold card holder too] had been given 2 of the center rows of 3 seats. They had 2 small children with them who saw the Business Class cabin as a playground. When the seatbelt sign was off [pretty much all of the flight] the kids ran riot, making a lot of noise. Thank goodness for the Bose QC20i’s.

ICE worked a treat on the flight – we both worked our way through a couple of films, then the “UK NO1’s from year xxxx” on the music section. Think we both re-lived our school & university days listening to what was at No1 in the charts then – and thinking “did we really buy this?”, but quietly admitting that we liked it. It has to be said that ICE puts Vera-Touch into the shade – really like the wireless controller on ICE too.

Afternoon tea was served at your seat about 90mins out of MAN. Had the sandwiches & chocolate brownie. Both were excellent. Followed this up with cappuccinos.

After afternoon tea it was time to visit the washrooms to freshen up – worth noting that the drawers with the amenity kit products in were fully stocked on this flight too. Also, there were 5 hot-towel runs through the business class cabin during the flight too, to keep you fresh. No water or juice runs though.

About 10mins out of Manchester the seatbelt sign went on and the cabin was quickly secured for landing. Landed at about 19:00 with a short taxi to the gate that Emirates use. MAN T1 arrivals is best described as a dump. Just as we got to the UK Border, the e-Gates all decided to give up the ghost to a technical gremlin, so everyone was sent down the normal immigration channel. Through in about 5mins and as we got to the baggage reclaim, the Business Class bags were starting to come through. Within 20mins of landing, we were through Customs and landside. You can’t really complain at that.

So, having done 2 Emirates flights, one on the supposed flagship A380 and another on the 777 – which did I / we enjoy most? The 777 for sure. If you are travelling solo, the A380 is great – if you’re travelling as a couple, the 777 wins hands-down, even if you do have to step over your other half to get to the aisle. The crew on the inbound flight were brilliant – as I said in the outbound TR, I can’t help but think the crew there were a bit lazy.

Will we be back to Emirates? Given that we are considering living in Dubai, yes!
#871730 by pjh
30 Apr 2014, 08:49
Thanks for the TR and glad to hear that you got the expected service on the way back.

Not having flown on the 777 I can't directly compare but I'm sure that it was MrsPJH that I was sat next and chatted to on the centre seats on the A380. :)

Also, I didn't think the Business Lounge at DXB had table service? It seemed to be service at one of the many drinks / food stations, but that may just have been the specific lounge we were in.
#871732 by PaulS
30 Apr 2014, 11:02
I agree about the lounge. Although I was flying to LGW in first my mother 87yrs was going to BHX in business (2 class) and they would allow me to guest her into the first class lounge.

Your trip report only goes to re-enforce the fact that whilst VS flagship lounges are the envy of all other airlines, business class passengers a seem to accept the standard of lounges offered by the big major players.
#871733 by pjh
30 Apr 2014, 12:00
One other thing about the DXB J Lounge that I only realised recently is that if Skywards Silver you can use it whatever class of ticket booked. Quite a nice perk from only one trip (albeit that was ULH) but another reason why the lounge needs to be so big.
#871944 by horburyflyer
04 May 2014, 08:56
Thanks for the excellent TR, I have often thought about getting to DXB this way which would be far more convenient for me....

I have heard mixed reports about Emirates and haven't yet taken the plunge but good to know that this was such a good flight with a top-rated crew.

Jon y)
Virgin Atlantic