#871905 by ratechaser
03 May 2014, 18:18
I got an op up. I got a bloody op up. After 30 years of flying without even a sniff of an upgrade, I got an op-up! ^) ^) ^) ^) ^)

Alright, I probably should have built up to that moment, developed the tension etc, but as you can tell, it was a fairly defining moment in my life... :|

Needless to say, it wasn't quite that simple. There were 4 of us. And only one WT+ seat on offer. I looked at my wife. My wife looked at me. And then, I thought to myself "what would Blacky do in this situation". Actually I didn't think that at all, because this was real life and not an Internet forum, and I didn't want to lose any cherished parts of my anatomy by making the wrong choice xx(

As it turned out, I was ordered to take the seat, on the basis that my cherubs were not going to let mummy out of their sight, and in any case, we had managed to bag the same seats as we had on the outbound, which meant that one of them had unlimited legroom as there was no seat in front.

So, my guilty conscience assuaged, what did I make of the (old style) WT+ seat. Hmm, bit 'meh' if I'm honest, slightly wider, slightly more legroom (but significantly compromised by the IFE boxes), ok recline, but I was actually thinking that WT seat with the extra legroom was a lot better. 1-0 to my wife then oo)

Food was also a disappointment, I went for a pasta arrabiata which seemed to have missed out on the chilli. Or any other real flavour for that matter. If that was a main course from CW, then very poor n( Other than that, I dozed a bit but because the IFE controls were in the side of the seat, I kept switching the TV screen back on every time I moved.

So a bit of a Pyrrhic victory in the end, the warm glow of the op-up tempered by the fact that the outbound flight in WT was actually a better experience. I'm glad at least that I had a chance to try WT+ though, as it confirmed my suspicion that VS has the better product here :? Maybe 'new' WT+ is better?

One other final note, BA were quite happy to give an ANU lounge pass for all 4 of us versus VS only offering 2 last year (same lounge), so thumbs up there y)

RC
#871906 by buns
03 May 2014, 18:49
Well done on the Op-Up and being given permission :D :D

No doubt the gaining of access to the ANU Lounge mellowed Mrs Ratecaser ):

Thanks

buns
#871910 by hiljil
03 May 2014, 19:06
Thank you for a most entertaining TR. How I felt for you .... From the joy of the moment getting an op up to the gradual realisation of the truth : beware what you wish for !!!!

Good luck for getting a better upgrade in the near future . :D
#871913 by Blacky1
03 May 2014, 19:26
Blacky would have snapped it up I can assure you !
Shame the highs of the op up weren't equalled by the experience itself.
Interesting about the food not up to much , sounds like the CW cabin may not have been impressed .hope the break was good ,love Antigua but haven't been for nearly 20 yrs !
Hopefully soon one day .
#871919 by ultreen1
03 May 2014, 20:16
ratechaser wrote: "what would Blacky do in this situation".

RC

From the little/lot we already know I think we should do the "opposite" to what we think blacky would do! :D

If I ever did a Blacky on simon I don't think I'd have a home on my return!

Another great TR btw, great news about the op up! y)

Do a Blacky. Definition: book a get away and leave a loved one at home.
synonymum: divorce

:o)
#871943 by horburyflyer
04 May 2014, 08:53
Excellent news on the Op up.....superb result and disaster averted it would seem... :w

Your TR brought back unhappy memories of WTP from 2008 when I use to fly back and forth to India, wasn't a great product then and little seems to have changed....though I have heard good things about the "new" WTP so maybe worth a try...

Jon :P
Virgin Atlantic