#872455 by HWVlover
11 May 2014, 17:46
ABD7 was absolutely brilliant; I travelled up the Cape York peninsula in northern Queensland.

149 [vflyer size].JPG

I had some fun crossing creeks in 4wheel drives, with the omnipresent salties watching and waiting, saw rainforests, goldmines, ghost towns, incredible prehistoric wall paintings and walked some brilliant beaches.

145 [vflyer size] [vflyer size].jpg

I didn’t go in the sea however, as if the aforementioned crocs don’t get you then the sharks will and, if not them, then the stingers!! The people were fabulous, the weather gorgeous and I ate far too much, including this wonderful Aussie burger

212 [vflyer size].JPG

It is impossible to drink far too much of the wonderful wines but I tried my hardest!

I did not want to leave Australia so decided that I should bid for an upgrade from Y to J on the Brisbane-Singapore-Abu Dhabi leg of my return in order that I would be less miserable on the journey home. Once again I bid the minimum. However, this time the bid failed.

My Qantas Link into Brisbane ran an hour late.

024 [vflyer size].JPG

It didn’t inconvenience me too much, just cut back on my drinking time, but my neighbour got to Brisbane at exactly the time her ANZ flight to Auckland was meant to be departing. Following onboard communication from the pilot of our plane, ANZ delayed the departure by half an hour. I hope she got it but with her having luggage to collect, a trip from the domestic to the international terminal to do and then check-in, security and passport control to negotiate, I have my doubts.

I had done all my required check-ins online at t-24. And not being one to brag:

096-001 [vflyer size].JPG

What is the collective noun for SEQ 1s?

After a short ride from the Domestic Terminal on the T-Bus, free to those with a QF boarding card (whether used or to be used), I checked in at the Etihad Business Class (still hoping!) desk. I was in a queue of one so it was all pretty painless. I collected my tickets for the 473 to AUH via SIN and the 11 from AUH to LHR. I also was given an invitation to the ANZ lounge which EY use at Brisbane.

This lounge is only available when the EY flight is a code share with ANZ, as mine was. If not then whatever your frequent flyer status with EY or whatever your class of travel then there isn’t a lounge available. As I said in my earlier report, EY are in catch-up mode on lounges, the dedicated lounge in Sydney opens officially on 21st May but is already being used. Others will no doubt follow.

I popped into the ANZ for a glass of sauvignon (as one does). The lounge was small and busy. The food offerings looked ok and my glass of sauvignon was yummy!

So now for the flights, on a 330-200 two class to AUH and then a three class triple 7 from AUH to LHR.

WOW.

I should remind you that I have, following a status match exercise, got a gold card with Etihad. I also wrote to Etihad after my outbound to compliment them on my flights down to OZ and singing the praises of the excellent cabin crews. I don’t know whether I just got standard gold-card-travelling-in-Economy treatment as I wasn’t aware of anyone else getting the same but maybe there weren’t any other golds in Y on any of my flights. Or perhaps my e-mail had meant I was going to get special treatment.

It started at the plane door in Brisbane when James, the Cabin Manager, greeted me with a huge grin, shook my hand and said “Mr H, welcome, I have been looking forward to meeting you. If there is anything we can do for you just let me know”

090 [vflyer size].JPG

Now the cynics amongst us, including me, can say it is all done from a list or whatever but when it is said with such a smile it is absolutely irresistible and made me feel…I don’t know the right word……so I will try…valued.

We left Brisbane 15 minutes late but still arrived 25 minutes early in Singapore. The Airbus wasn’t full but the small J cabin was. The economy seat I had, a window 21K, was fine, plenty of leg room etc and was about as comfortable as any could be for 8 hours plus. The standard food and booze offerings were great, the chicken tagine

217 [vflyer size].JPG

I had was up there with best economy meals ever.

I was asked first what I wanted from the various menus and was also served first. There were several drinks rounds and the standard white wine, a French blend, La Grille, was absolutely delicious.

There was also a spectacularly good raspberry muffin.

102 [vflyer size].JPG

And proper cutlery in Y

100 [vflyer size].JPG

to be continued so I can add more photos
Last edited by HWVlover on 12 Jul 2014, 15:44, edited 2 times in total.
#872456 by HWVlover
11 May 2014, 17:46
101 [vflyer size].JPG

I was mainly looked after by a lovely girl, Jessig (permissions obtained to use names). She was great, fun and friendly and enthusiastic. Throughout I was addressed as Mr H or Mr David. Without exception, whenever a crew member walked by, they acknowledged me and asked whether there was anything I needed. My neighbour, a beautiful Belgian girl, was wondering who exactly I was!!

It got worse when the first of many glasses (plastics!!) of champagne arrived! James had appeared and asked me how things were going and then asked one of my favourite questions “would I like a glass of champagne”. Those who know me on here will know my answer! I refused the fifth such glass.

Various titbits from the forward cabin appeared..nuts, crisps, ice creams etc at regular intervals.

104 [vflyer size].JPG

I felt completely and utterly spoiled and enjoyed every single minute of it.

More champagne in a plastic, equated to at least two normal glasses!!

105 [vflyer size].JPG

After an hour in Singapore which meant some Facebook and e-mail catch up (there was wifi on the flight but it didn’t work too well) I was back on the plane with a new crew. “Hello Mr H, we have been waiting for you, let me show you to your seat” said the absolutely delightful Oh, the cabin manager. Duly shown to my seat (the same one) those words again “let me get you a glass of champagne”. This was brought and shortly followed by a second before take off, with my choice of newspaper.

And so it continued, the Economy experience enhanced by the little personal touches. Again, as on the other flights, I was asked first about my food choice and served first. The plane was pretty much full on the leg to Abu Dhabi, left a few minutes late and got to AUH early.

And then the last flight, the EY411 leaving AUH for Heathrow at 2.35am.

As an aside, pet hate moment, I hate it when, on boarding, people complain to the CC about their seat assignment. I remember one 14 hour EK flight in J, when someone who didn’t get their required window seat moaned the whole 14 hours!!! Here it was ”I didn’t book this seat” said a particular woman, “and I want to sit elsewhere”. It is hardly the fault of the CC. The complainer also blocked the aisle so people couldn’t get by. Some people just need a slap, and there, at 2.35am, feeling grumpy, I was ever so happy to oblige if required!!! Grrrrr.

The first half of this flight was a snack meal

118 [vflyer size].JPG

and then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzs.

I had 20K, again a window seat. Breakfast

119 [vflyer size].JPG

was accompanied again by treats of champagne and various other food “gifts” were delivered. The regular food was all good to very good. Again I was made to feel “special”. The plane was full, left Abu Dhabi 20 minutes late and arrived in London on time.

I made a bit of use of the IFE on the various flights, watching a few episodes of House of Cards which was excellent. I also noted that on each flight EY made an effort with children passengers, various gift kits appeared to those nearby and also food treats. I like their style.

Looking back on my flights, outbound and in, I had a marvelous time. And the impact on me is the required one, my next ABD to Australia will be on Etihad.
Last edited by HWVlover on 12 Jul 2014, 15:45, edited 2 times in total.
#872465 by pjh
11 May 2014, 19:43
To misquote a line from 'Young Frankenstein', envy is a terrible thing...and that's what I feel in reading this... :|

Anyhow, more to the point, from what you could see (however blurry it may have been :w ) what was the non privileged service in Y like? I know you mention the attention to the ankle biters, but what of those with fewer years of potential loyalty?
#872499 by DragonLady
12 May 2014, 06:20
Fantastic report y) .
My next Oz jaunt is with the dark side and CX following the withdrawal of VS to SYD but EY ( in all cabins ) sound excellent .
Hope the GGDs were pleased to see you in your return :) .
DL
#872509 by HWVlover
12 May 2014, 09:33
Thank you DL, I bear the bruises of the girlies boisterous "welcome home". It is almost worth going away just to get that on my return.
:X

Paul, pjh, I have tried to ignore the fizz!! The food was good, the booze runs were regular and the white was very nice. I didn't try the red but others were quaffing it very happily.
The touch screen IFE was fine and had numerous channels but I didn't watch much telly so whether a trillion channels or ten didnt make much difference.
y)

The cabin crew on all three (in fact, all six) flights were great, very visible and proactive. They walked the aisles looking for things to do and making sure that the passengers had all they needed. It was eye contact all the way...none of that looking into the distance rubbish. And smiles were never far away, nor fun.

As a postscript I wrote to EY customer service yesterday about the wifi not working. My e-mail generated an immediate automatic acknowledgement. This morning I received an e-mail dealing with the issue I raised...so that is problem solved within 24 hours of notification.
y)

And finally...how about a Sufficiency of SEX........oops, there is no such thing....I meant SEQ 1s!!!!!
): ): ): ):
#872518 by pjh
12 May 2014, 12:21
Overall EY look like one to watch for. I had them on the comparison list when I priced up our trip down under, but at the time in business they were coming many hundreds of pounds each above EK...
#872569 by Jacki
12 May 2014, 21:16
What a brilliant TR ^) - I was impressed with EK but EY seem to have gone one better y)
#872680 by HWVlover
13 May 2014, 20:38
Thanks Jacki. Apparently my rather splendid experience was nothing out of the ordinary, EY like to make a fuss of their FFs. Another standard is being set.

NH, not too sure about an Abu Dhabi stopover as I only "did" the terminal. But there is a F1 Grand Prix later in the year and Dubai is only down the road! And EY do status match promotions regularly, not guaranteed however, I guess they are cherry picking those that seem most likely, especially if on other ME carriers and also often routing via the ME.
Virgin Atlantic