#875399 by horburyflyer
12 Jun 2014, 16:29
So after a few days in the Florida heat and not been able to secure a seat in UC on any of the MCO flights home, I managed to find a good price out of JFK but left me with a decision to make, who was going to get me to New York.

JetBlue first came to mind as I do like them and they are reliable. I have also used American and United in the past. I then looked at Delta and found an excellent price for a first class seat on a flight that would work perfectly......so it was booked.

Day of departure arrived and I found the Delta check in zone quickly. I was processed quickly too and was told of a 10min delay. The agent "got the job done" but was not overly friendly v(

Security was a breeze and I was through to the crowded Delta gate area in plenty of time for the flight. No lounge access automatically as we know for domestic first class flights and I wasn't paying $50 for the benefit.

The aircraft arrived in from Boston on-time and was quickly turned around. A group of passengers had gathered by the gate area and were watching a screen....which was showing that 5 of the 12 seats in a first class had been claimed (as Delta call it....) and that did mean that 7 people were about to be upgraded.....which they were and then issued with new boarding passes.

Before this happened they made an announcement that upgrades were available for $99. No-one took up the offer.

Priority boarding began and I was welcomed by name at the gate and wished a great flight. I was seated in 1A which was a bulkhead and had a good seat pitch on this A320. I also had the luxury of no one reclining into my personal space.

Pre-take off drinks were offered (just as soon as the catering arrived) and were served in plastic cups with a small packet of pretzels. A small bottle of water was on the seat along with a thin blanket and a small pillow.

Push back was a few minutes late and we performed a slow taxi to the runway. Once airborne, more drinks were delivered in glassware with an offer from the snack basket- cookies, peanuts, pretzels, fruit and chocolate bars.

A table mat was placed 30mins into the flight and a tray was presented which included a Southwestern chicken salad, tortilla strips and a cookie. The other option was a Turkey and Cheese sandwich which was popular. The meal was huge and really tasty.

My glass was regularly topped up (G&T) and before landing the snack basket was offered again. The crew were friendly and chatty. Flight time was 2hrs20mins and it quickly passed by, thankfully as no entertainment on this aircraft though I did find the Delta magazine good to read.

Landing in a warm New York we parked at Terminal 2 which was a real mess and shameful for such a major international city.

Would I fly Delta again - sure would.

Jon
#875404 by buns
12 Jun 2014, 17:18
Jon

Thanks for this very useful TR y) y)

Mrs Buns and I have a shedload of miles, so it may well be that our next trip to Orlando may be via New York (especially as there are tier points to be had ): )

Shame about the Delta Room at Orlando though :#

buns
#875405 by horburyflyer
12 Jun 2014, 17:26
Thanks Buns, I would recommend them. I do have a photo of the meal which I have tried to load but is too big by all accounts...a good hearty meal and a friendly and chatty crew, Delta did impress me.

Jon
#875409 by slinky09
12 Jun 2014, 18:02
buns wrote:Shame about the Delta Room at Orlando though :#

But compensated by the JFK Clubhouse!
#875417 by buns
12 Jun 2014, 19:39
slinky09 wrote:
buns wrote:Shame about the Delta Room at Orlando though :#

But compensated by the JFK Clubhouse!

Looks like they did a good enough job on the flight ):

buns
#875420 by pjh
12 Jun 2014, 19:57
Thanks for the TR. Here's hoping someone does a business class flight soon and allays my fears about the Delta service (1st World problem)

horburyflyer wrote:A group of passengers had gathered by the gate area and were watching a screen....which was showing that 5 of the 12 seats in a first class had been claimed (as Delta call it....) and that did mean that 7 people were about to be upgraded.....which they were and then issued with new boarding passes.

Apart from a degree of certainty, why then does anyone with status (presumably "the upgraded") pay for First?
Virgin Atlantic