#875686 by Sealink
15 Jun 2014, 23:38
I had assumed that I had left it too late to book a bargain break to Copenhagen, to join my friends who were already booked.

Not entirely – Skyscanner offered a £160 rtn flight – out with easyJet from Stansted and back with oooh! Scandinavian to Heathrow – an airline I have not had the pleasure of flying with.

It turned out that the easyJet fare was £120! This was one of their “Flexi” fares, a fare category that seems to be, well super.

As well as free changes, one checked in case and seat selection, it also includes fast track security and speedy boarding. And for £120 that seems like a good deal. I didn’t realize how much I would need the fast track security as it happens…

The flight was at 7am from Stansted, an airport I have not used since 2012.

I cannot bear the Stansted “Express” – it has always been filthy, isn’t an express, and is criminally expensive. They have new trains now but are charging £25 for a one way ticket – which is more expensive that both Gatwick and Heathrow Expresses. This is a wheeze dreamt up by Abellio, who merged the “Super Off Peak Single” and “Peak Single” into one Peak fare. There’s a way round it but it does mean sacrificing some flexibility – buy a ticket from Liverpool Street to Hertford or Bishops Stortford, then Hertford or Bishops Stortford to Stansted. You’ll save around a fiver. But your train must stop at the intermediate station for the wheeze to work.

Working where I do, I am well aware of the concept of “willingness to pay” – and I am entirely unwilling to pay for the Stansted Express.

I discovered a new non-stop service operated by easyBus from Baker Street to the airport. I probably won’t be using that again.

I left work and waited for the bus to Baker Street on a very sunny evening. I can’t do 4am starts to get to Stansted these days so booked an overnight hotel at the airport.

This is where the bus leaves…

There’s a pub right next to it, however I resisted temptation.

The minibus was very tiny with stained seats.

I actually tweeted at the time complaining about companies that offer cheap services but then make you feel cheap for using them. Ryanair are learning, quickly, that this approach has a shelf life!

It also felt very cramped. What do you think?

Before you feel too sympathetic to my predicament, remember that I paid the princely sum of £3.49 for the ticket.

There was a lovely feeling of leaving London behind and I always enjoy heading north on the A1 – through St. John’s Wood… Swiss Cottage… and so on.

It was a lovely evening when we arrived at Stansted.

I popped along to the station to take a look. As you do. As I do.

I then wandered around the airport, like I didn’t have a care in the world.

Just a small thing – but notice easyJet’s welcome messages compared to the Ryanair area. Am I overthinking this?

Note the one check-in desk for the twice daily Loganair/FlyBe service to Dundee!

Tired of early starts from London I also decided to book an overnight at the Radisson Blu, Stansted. I found a bargain rate (!) with a company called Amoma Hotels (no, me either) via Trivago, which was about £30 cheaper than anyone else. My hotel voucher was issued by Miki Travel, a large wholesale tour operator. So Trivago get a cut, Amoma get a cut and Miki Travel get a cut. You kind of wonder how all these middlemen will last. But I digress.

I very much enjoyed staying at this hotel.

Check in was swift (I arrived about 30 seconds before a large group so was seen quickly) and friendly. I declined a wake up call – I had my phone for that. The lobby area was impressive, with an massive wine tower manned by an acrobat!

After all this excitement, came the most uninspiring/depressing hotel corridors I have ever seen. And I’ve stayed at Travelodge.

My room, a template as Radisson Blu rooms around the UK seem to be the same, was attractive and comfortable.

I detest these milk things!

I had requested a room overlooking the runway, and they did their best!

But dear reader, what is the point of this?

And where there should be, not a plug socket in sight.

Bored, I headed back to the airport for a wander.

This was to be a mistake. I didn’t quite realize how much I needed my beauty sleep…

I had set my alarm for 5am, to get to the airport for 6am. That would give me time to get up and ready.

I hadn’t set my alarm at all. And I stirred awake, aware that the alarm hadn’t gone off, but with the feeling that I had woken before it.

To my horror – it was 5.45am! My flight was leavning in 75 minutes – along with a swathe of Ryanair departures which would clog up security!

It was also a horrendous day.

At Stansted, the entrance to airport security is at the opposite end of the building to the hotel.

I walked as quickly as I could to security. The queue was massive. And then I spied the “Fastrack” security lane and thanked my lucky stars that I was on a FLEXI fare!

TICK… TOCK…. TICK….TOCK….

06.10hrs
Security was sloooow. Every person in front of me needed ‘seen to’.

06:20hrs
My carry on bag was examined in detail as I hadn’t put my toothpaste in a clear plastic bag. Gah!

06:30hrs
Notice flight departs from that stupid pier where you need to get that stupid train. And that the gate closes at 06:30hrs! No time for the lounge!

06:35hrs
Everything works – no wait for the train, and when I get to the gate they are just boarding the Speedy Boarding folks.

The flight is fully booked, but as one of the first passengers on my luggage is safely stowed away.

Now relaxed, it was time to sleep! But a few more pics.

Up, up and away!

It looked like the weather would be better in Denmark.

A bit hazy, but the sun would come out later, and how!

easyJet fly into a part of the airport that is rather low-cost and quite some walk from the main area.

There are still efforts to make it look nicer.

Yet another friendly easyJet flight. They're certainly doing lots of things right these days.

I jumped on the shuttle service to the Bella Sky Hotel, my home for the evening.

Last edited by Sealink on 16 Jun 2014, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
#875695 by jfenney
16 Jun 2014, 06:13
Great TR as always Billy and have to agree Easyjet is getting a lot of things right. My last flight to Venice was very enjoyable , speedy boarding is worth it's weight in gold in my opinion.
#875735 by Concorde RIP
16 Jun 2014, 15:43
What a great read - fantastic!

You should consider writing suspense novels, the "ticktock..." had me very nervous on your behalf.

Great stuff.

That wine tower at the Stansted Radisson Blue is quite a famous feature, actually, but curiously I've never seen anyone buy a bottle of wine!
#875742 by honey lamb
16 Jun 2014, 16:56
Concorde RIP wrote:
That wine tower at the Stansted Radisson Blue is quite a famous feature, actually, but curiously I've never seen anyone buy a bottle of wine!

I did when I stayed there - saw someone buy a bottle of wine, that is. The wine angel had to fly to the very top of the tower. :D
#875750 by buns
16 Jun 2014, 19:35
Sealink

Thank you for such a detailed TR y) y)

You certainly do have the knack of seeking out those good deals and the Radison does not seem too bad :w

You are right about Easyjet, those buses might be a little cramped but they always seem to be full and compared to the "not so express" train, they do make a lot of sense to those on a budget.

Now me taking a trip to Scandinavia……….. With those beer prices ): ):

Thanks once again

buns
#875752 by Bretty
16 Jun 2014, 20:01
Great TR Billy, thanks for a fun read. I love the Radisson Blu at Stansted, it's a lovely hotel with consistent service, and I love the wine tower, an eye catching feature. And those pretty little purple lights on the tables in the bar... They're led lights that can be switched to 15 different colours and loved them so much that we contacted the manufacturer and bought half a dozen for ambient lighting at home.

I also agree that easyjet are getting better and have smartened up their act somewhat. I'll be flying to Krakow with them in a couple of weeks and the flexi ticket is great, but not always cheap.
Virgin Atlantic