#877631 by NYLON
09 Jul 2014, 17:42
Since the VS/DL tie-up, I'd been looking for an opportunity to fly the new(ish) Delta Business Elite LHR-JFK flight.

And a genuine reason to be in Brussels allowed me to book a very reasonably priced ticket from BRU, changing in LHR, to JFK (£1,350 return). I bought this as one ticket direct from Virgin Atlantic, so that I could earn miles on my VS credit card. I flew with hand luggage only.

[The BRU-LHR leg on BA has its own Trip Report here: http://v-flyer.com/forum/index.php?f=21 ... =viewtopic]

Once arrived in LHR T5, I took the transfer bus to T3, and ten minutes later I was going through speedy Flight Connections at T3. Despite not having a boarding pass for the DL LHR-JFK leg, I was permitted to go through fast track because I'd just *come off* a BA flight in Club Europe class.

I was not able to check-in (nor, therefore, print my boarding pass) for the DL flight prior to boarding the BRU-LHR leg. This may have been a quirk because of the very recent change in security procedures for flying to the USA from London, that had come into effect a few days before.

Once through Flight Connections, I picked up my boarding pass from the DL/VS counter. I was given the seat I'd picked online, and made sure that my VS FC number was attached to this leg of the ticket. For the BRU-LHR le, my BA EC number was used.

Flying DL to the USA means being able to use the VS Clubhouse, which was splendid as ever (massage, cocktails etc)! Being FC AU means should someone else be "travelling with me" on the same DL flight but not in Business Elite, they too could use the CH.

The flight was called, and I was on board in no time. It's very clear when you get on board that Delta Business Elite is a "business" product: by that I mean, there isn't quite that sense of "fun" which VS UC provides.

All the DL staff were courteous and kind, but there was a certain distance which one is not used to with VS UC staff. I'm not sure how to put it exactly. They were absolutely fantastic, very helpful etc - but, I suppose it was "professional" with a capital "P". As if they'd gone on one too many training courses. Does that make sense!?

The cabin looked new, and my seat (5D) was in excellent condition. It was a Boeing 767-400ER All seats have aisle access, and a small desk next to the seat (very useful!)

Here's a seating chart: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/ ... 6d-fb.html

One really simple, useful thing: the pull-out table (for the meal) has a magnet on one side, so all the cutlery doesn't drop off of the table!

The amenity kit (made by Tumi) surpasses Virgin's. Lots of goodies inside from Malin + Goetz. The bedding is also better (Westin "Heavenly") which breathes a lot, so you don't overheat. I requested a hypoallergenic pillow and got one, others requested down pillows.

Upon finding my seat, I was immediately asked if I wanted my jacket taken away and stored on a hanger (I did), and if I wanted a cocktail or champagne (I picked the latter). Everything was cleared away, and off we went.

A soon as we were at cruising altitude, out came more drinks, followed by a starter of smoked salmon, grilled shrimp and/or soup, and/or salad.

Mains were beef fillet, pan seared chicken, ravioli or a charcuterie plate (and more booze). I picked the beef, which bore a remarkable similarity to the VS offering!

I can't remember the dessert choices (too much booze!), but I picked the cheese selection, along with a stunning, chilled Australian dessert wine. Plenty of different types of booze on offer.

The entertainment (nice big screen) is much stronger than on VS. This is particularly noticeable in the TV offerings, where full series from HBO, Showtime, AMC and most non-cable US TV shows are available. The film selection is huge, and the big difference with VS is that 50% are classics from the last 50 years or so.

They didn't mind me charging my phone(s) or laptop during the flight (one via a universal UK/USA/EU socket, one via a USB charger). I know some airlines get annoyed if you're charging (but not using) the device.

One aside, which also explains the difference in feel from VS, Although the DL3 leaves LHR at about 5.30 p.m. and arrives in JFK at 8.30 p.m., it is treated as an overnight flight, oddly.

By that I mean, all blinds are down at the start of the flight. They encourage you to keep them down throughout the flight, and they do not ask you to raise them for landing. Once the first meal service is provided they check whether you would like to be woken for the pre-arrival service, on the assumption that you will be asleep. The cabin lights are dimmed throughout, and completely off between the first and second meals (roughly 3.5 hours).

The seat very easily straightened out (with me in it) into a fully lie-flat bed. I asked one of the DL flight attendants to hang up my shirt with my jacket (which she did without hesitation), and off I went to sleep.

I'd asked not to be woken for the second meal (which was a hamburger, panini, or grilled shrimp salad - or all three). So I really appreciated the lie-in. I woke up about 30 minutes before landing.

They brought me my shirt and jacket, and while I was freshening up, they fixed me a Bloody Mary... and in no time we were at JFK, with a very speedy immigration (admittedly I use Global Entry).

Discounted Business on Delta on this route (I flew Z fare) earns the same mileage and Tier Points as discounted Upper Class (e.g. I/Z fares on VS): 150% of base flown miles.

My Flying Club Gold benefits (additional 100% of base flown miles) are carried across too. So in total, the return LHR-JFK-LHR legs will earn 17,324 miles and 10 Tier Points (exactly the same as VS UC). I'll confirm this when the first leg posts to my account.

With the VS Clubhouse access, this DL BE flight is a very competitive offering, I think. I'd say it's really good if you want to work, as the desk really does help. I slept much better with the DL bedding, than the VS UC bedding.

What was missing? The FUN!

So: if you want a sense of "occasion" stick with VS UC. If you want a truly great business product, limiting your fun to the LHR CH, I'd thoroughly recommend flying Delta Business Elite.

NYLON
Last edited by NYLON on 09 Jul 2014, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
#877633 by pjh
09 Jul 2014, 17:51
Thanks for this TR. Certainly seems like a competitive offering. I guess it will be interesting to hear from more TRs to see if the service is consistent...
#877635 by NYLON
09 Jul 2014, 17:56
I couldn't help overhearing several regular DL passengers commenting on just how much they enjoyed the VS Clubhouse. I wonder if by VS opening the clubhouse to DL, they will actually gain passengers from DL, wanting the VS experience to continue on board!
#877645 by NYLON
09 Jul 2014, 20:48
Thanks, Daffodil. It was indeed excellent. I love the VC UC product, but I am sorely tempted to take DL BE again. I'll see how I feel after the return leg (overnight from JFK to LHR).
#877648 by NYLON
09 Jul 2014, 21:17
That's what I normally do, clarkeysntfc, but I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I nodded off on the plane.

I was then in good shape to go out for dinner when I arrived in NYC, and eventually went to bed around midnight. I slept a perfect seven hours through to this morning too!
#877653 by ultreen1
09 Jul 2014, 22:13
Great TR, I love the detail.
Sounds like a good offering just not the fun filled VS offering (like you said). I enjoy the personal touch you get with virgin and I'd be uncomfortable in a stuffy professional environment with company drones! That said, it sounds like they had a good selection of "booze"...maybe one day I'll fly with delta...
#877655 by NYLON
09 Jul 2014, 22:43
Thanks, ultreen1.

That's absolutely right: definitely not as fun. Overall, I'd still rate VS UC over DL BE.

But if work and sleep (but still all the booze!) are important to you, I'd say DL BE might have a slight edge!
Last edited by NYLON on 09 Jul 2014, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
#877657 by NYLON
09 Jul 2014, 22:45
The VS miles and tier points just posted. I'm impressed: that's under 24 hours from arrival on a partner flight.

So I can confirm what I wrote above (and copied below) is indeed the case.

NYLON

"Discounted Business on Delta on this route (I flew Z fare) earns the same mileage and Tier Points as discounted Upper Class (e.g. I/Z fares on VS): 150% of base flown miles.

My Flying Club Gold benefits (additional 100% of base flown miles) are carried across too. So in total, the return LHR-JFK-LHR legs will earn 17,324 miles and 10 Tier Points (exactly the same as VS UC)."
#877659 by Bretty
10 Jul 2014, 00:38
Thanks for a super TR, it sounds like a great service and perhaps something for me to try one day. Happy travels.
#877662 by MedwayControl
10 Jul 2014, 02:21
Great TR, thanks.

Interestingly on the DL1 that I took at the end of last year, the blinds were all closed and the lights fully dimmed/off between meals. I didn't mind as I was rather tipsy...

Anyway... I thought it may have been for those US travellers who were trying to observe USA time. Maybe it a DL thing or down to the crew. Worth noting I have had the same thing in Economy Comfort in DL on day flights from MAN and LHR - though this was well before the tie up (and my new allegiance to VS!)
#877666 by NYLON
10 Jul 2014, 05:06
That's very interesting, MedwayControl. From what you say, I wonder if it's DL policy.

I was surprised at how quickly I fell asleep after the meal (and the booze), and just how well I slept (which may have been down to the very good quality bedding...and, er, the booze).

Where one can draw a direct comparison (and I appreciate the two products are marketed differently) DL BE beats VS UC on the quality of the bedding and also the amenity kit.
#877734 by buns
10 Jul 2014, 21:48
NYLON

Thanks for a very thought provoking TR y) y)

You make a good point about crew style and I have to admit this is something that I (and Mrs Buns for that matter) value when travelling on VS. That said, from your TripReport the on board experience with food etc would not put me off choosing Delta if the price was right.

I have just had two friends from the US arrive in the UK on a Delta flight and they were both impressed with their flight experience, so that again has me thinking ;)

The fact there is use of the Clubhouses means there is a competition in my mind

Thanks once again

buns
#877752 by NYLON
11 Jul 2014, 04:48
Thanks, Buns,

I think if you have a sudden business trip where you have to work on the plane, or if you want a very good night's sleep on a medium-haul overnight with an important meeting upon arrival, then the DL product is extremely tempting.

I say that because I think the quality of bedding is significantly better, the lie-flat bed feels roomier, and there is a general "work or sleep, but don't play" attitude in the cabin.

Access to the VS Clubhouse is a splendid bonus, of course (not to mention parallel miles and tier points earning).

The jury is out as to whether DL Business Elite customers are allowed to use Revivals upon arrival into LHR T3. I have had two contradictory answers from VS customer services, and I have sent an e-mail requesting clarification.

But if flying DL BE comes with the Clubhouse *and* Revivals, and if it's priced competitively, then this is a product I would choose for my next serious work trip, where I would, for example, eat in the JFK Clubhouse prior to boarding, and get as much sleep on the flight as possible.

For a vacation with friends or family, or just a flight where the pressure is off, I'd still pick VS UC. Their general attitude to passengers in UC (and other cabins) is wonderful, I think. There is always a sense of occasion, and a terrific fun feeling which I've not experienced elsewhere.

One other comparison: I'd rate DL Business Elite on this route over BA Club World by quite a large margin. DL BE is much closer in feel to BA CW when on the plane, but I think the DL in-flight service is better, and with BA you're stuck with the BA lounges, which - Concorde Room apart, perhaps - are no comparison to the LHR/JFK Clubhouses.

I actually think DL BE might pull business passengers away from BA on this route. And I think people might switch partly, if not entirely, because of the VS offerings in the lounges!

NYLON
#877790 by itisme
11 Jul 2014, 13:56
Oh nice to see they do have seats by its own. That makes it more interesting as a solo traveller. Might be trying this soon on the VS4039 ( LHR to ATL ) for a change..

Altho i'm one of 'play' instead of sleep/work |:)
#877794 by NYLON
11 Jul 2014, 14:29
Lol, itisme!

Yes, I was by myself and found the experience very pleasant. In a way it's more private that VC UC (assuming you're in the window seats).

It's definitely not the right product for some though, I can see that. For example, if you were going on a special holiday, I'm not sure you'd want to kick it off in DL BE!

Mind you if you just want to obliterate yourself to sleep with their wine and spirits list, the cabin crew were extremely happy to help!
#877811 by Olas86
11 Jul 2014, 17:09
Does anyone know if you can miles upgrade from Economy to Business Elite (M to a G, or DL equivalent) through VS in the same way that you can for AA on the BA website (good way of getting around BA's only upgrading one class rule).

I'm thinking party on the way out with VS and sleep on the way back with DL…
#877829 by JCBR
11 Jul 2014, 20:41
Interesting to read the DL trip report.
It reminded me of when I flew with UA - they were forever obsessed with closing the window blinds no mater the time of day or how nice the view was. It was always like being in a coffin (or at least how I imagine that to be !).
Is it a US thing ? shutting the blinds at the first opportunity.

The only other point is that whilst you get the miles and TP the TP are credited as partner TP rather than VS TP which don't count towards some of the VS status levels.
#877836 by NYLON
11 Jul 2014, 21:07
I think it is a US thing, JCBR!

Things might have changed since the VS/Delta tie-up, but the tier points earned on these specific ex LHR DL codeshare flights *are* indeed classified as "VS Tier Points" (i.e. they are not in the "Total Tier Points" category, which includes credit card points and other partner points, including for example DL US domestic).

I've just taken a quick look over my TP history to verify this for you. Domestic US (and non-VS codeshare) DL routes are listed as "Delta Airlines" in my Flying Club history, and are credited as partner TP.

The DL codeshare flights (i.e. the DL metal flights leaving from/going to LHR T3 with a VS codeshare number) are listed as "VAA/Delta Airlines Codeshare" in my account, and are credited as VS TP.

As far as I can see, therefore, the miles and TP earnings on these VS/DL codeshare flights on DL metal are identical as if flown on VS metal.

Hope this helps!
#877968 by JCBR
13 Jul 2014, 18:32
I took a DL ticketed flight last week and used by VS FF number. I noticed it was also a VS code share so will be interesting to see if I get the full VS TP or the partner TP's for it.
#878064 by JUDYNAGY
15 Jul 2014, 02:50
Speaking of keeping the shades down on a flight ... I'm new to this forum and can't find out where to start a new topic. I fly SFO-LHR often and I'm usually the only one awake in UC all night. Occasionally I can sleep for an hour. I usually pull my shade up a couple of inches so as not to sit in the dark but I've gotten some glares. Are passengers really expected to spend the flight in the dark whether they're asleep or not? Isn't this why there are eye masks in the kits?
Virgin Atlantic