#878132 by mrsw
15 Jul 2014, 21:23
After a week of conference in Houston (and some great shopping ^) my bag was just about zipped up when I sat on top of it, but it wouldn't stay locked as it was so full!), it's time to head back home.

This was my second flight with Delta, and this time I knew what to expect. I checked in online the day before, and dropped off my bag with an indoor check-in agent this time at IAH domestic terminal. Just like in LGA a few days before, there was no passport control on the way out, so after a 10 minutes wait at security, I was through to yet another basic but busy gates area (due to another few delayed DL flights), but this time without any ipads or working area.

Based on what I've seen so far, I was getting a bit worried about any delays on this flight, as I have a connection to catch at ATL to LHR, and I didn't want to wait any longer before getting back home.

Guess what, about half an hour before the scheduled boarding time, an announcement was made to say that the flight was delayed due to a late incoming flight. More specifically, the lady announced "we are expecting to board you at approximately 18:30 (instead of 17.45) because we couldn't board you any quicker". :o)

When we were finally boarding, about 45 minutes later than planned, I was again in the last "zone" to board. With about 10 people ahead of me in the queue, the CC announced that we had run out of space for bigger luggages in the cabin, so whatever could not fit under the seat would need to be checked. v( Thankfully I only had a laptop bag, and didn't need the faffing around with checking the luggage 8D

Overall though, the boarding process was dealt with quickly and efficiently, which helped minimise the delay. However, once on board, there was plenty of space in the overhead locker, so the "must check all luggage from here on" call may have been a little premature, especially given that a lot of people on that flight would be catching connections at ATL.

It was a short flight, only around 2 hour or so. The plane was another Embraer number, which once again I found very comfortable. The CC was fine again, but I couldn't recall whether any snack etc was served :#

Before I knew it, we arrived at ATL. One thing I thought was really good was that the CC encouraged people with connections not within the next 45 minutes to hold back in getting off, to allow the more urgent connections to be made, especially bearing in mind the slight delay. Things like this, in my opinion, really shows DL's experience in handling connections. And the "de-boarding" experience was as efficient as the boarding one.

I had to change from the domestic to the international terminal at ATL, and the whole process was extremely easy - the inter-terminal transfer "train" was very frequent and quick, so I was at the gate that I needed within a matter of 10 minutes. Having done plenty of connections with almost all the big European airlines over the years, I think some bigger airports (CDG comes to mind, though I did vow to never ever use AF again) could really learn a thing to two from such a convenient set-up for international transfers.

To my surprise, however, there was no passport control at all on the way out. How do they know that I've left their wonderful country? ?|

Anyway, I'm not complaining. I made it to the gate about 30 minutes before boarding, so plenty of time to spare. And the LHR flight appears to be on time, so that'll be a first with my DL experience :P But I'll discuss that flight later in another TR ii)
#878136 by CHill710
15 Jul 2014, 21:33
I quite like ATL it is a good airport for connections (I have only ever connected international-domestic and vide versa @ATL)
I do like the speed of that train last time I went you either held on or were thrown back by the acceleration!

Thanks for the TR
#878245 by mrsw
16 Jul 2014, 21:11
Ah yes, re the train speed.

Having checked my booking confirmation I should add that the aircraft wasn't another Embraer, but was a 717 instead. It was comfortable nonetheless for a 2 hour flight :)