#878299 by WPIL
17 Jul 2014, 11:48
This being a regular trip to me - London to Switzerland.
Preferred flight is late afternoon, good for a late lunch, early dinner at Heathrow.

Getting to Heathrow is normally very easy if the M25 is clear. Normally dropped off outside the Terminal but have also used the Business Parking with the Jonny Cab style pods. Check In at T5 is always nice and quick and I have been lucky so far in avoiding long waits at security, have usually found the South Security to be slightly quicker. If I am not lucky to be travelling in Club as was the case this time, I eat at Plane Food. Couple of Beers and a perfectly adequate Fillet Steak and Mash normally does the trick, good views of the airport from the windows. When using the lounges, have a preference for the North Lounge as it seems to be less busy with good views of the Northern Runway. Have not used the lounge at the B gates.

Short flight with good views over London. Standard seat and to be honest when I occasional use Club did not notice much of a difference.

Landing at Basel is always quick, no holds or long taxis. Going through Customs you have 2 lines, the left line for France is always quicker than the right line for Switzerland. However one downside of this airport is the time it takes to get the bags off the plane, normally about 30 minutes. Outside a regular bus will take you into town and if you are only going as far as the Airport Hotel it is free (where it will be 30 Euros in a Cab.) If you are hiring a car, try and hire from the Swiss side as they usually have a better selection.

Have also flown this route from London City Airport, fun as the plane flew the whole way just above the clouds and was very bumpy.
#878522 by mrsw
20 Jul 2014, 15:59
Thank you for the TR, and for the detailed information on security/customs etc. For some reason the map shows a much longer flight than to Switzerland though, so thought I'd flag that.
#878533 by honey lamb
20 Jul 2014, 18:28
mrsw wrote:Thank you for the TR, and for the detailed information on security/customs etc. For some reason the map shows a much longer flight than to Switzerland though, so thought I'd flag that.

It's because the wrong code for Basel was used it should have been BSL |:) I've amended it