#878501 by honey lamb
20 Jul 2014, 10:13
There is a certain irony in someone catching a bus and availing of a free travel pass in order to connect with a flight in a First Class cabin and that is exactly what honey lamb was doing at 7am one bright Thursday morning recently as she schlepped her bags 250 metres along the street to catch the said bus. :w Oh, it was not out of choice; believe me, it was definitely not out of choice. Under the normal course of events friends would transport me to the airport and deliver me into the welcome portals of the departure area where, within minutes my case would be removed from me only to be seen (hopefully) at whatever was my destination, but on this occasion, they too were accompanying me as they had decided to fly that self-same day to EDI from Dublin and chose not to leave their car either at the airport or the railway station. And as for the hour! Well! I was scheduled to fly out at 11.45 am and this bus together with a connection in Cork City would have me three hours before the said flight but alas the next bus would have me there too late for check-in/bag drop. Oh and because this was a BA codeshare I had been unable to do OLCI for this leg of my journey.

Actually, in spite of my moaning, the journey to Cork was very pleasant as we chatted away and the time flew and at 8.32am we were deposited in the bus station. A quick glance at the screens told me that there was a bus leaving for the airport at 8.35 and, wishing my friends a fond farewell, I hopped on. Five seconds later, I was to wish I hadn't but it was too late. The doors had been closed behind me and we were off. The bus was crammed!! :0 There were so many people standing that I'm sure it was barely legal. The reason? The run to the airport passes a couple of industrial estates plus there is a huge business park in the airport complex itself and so the bus was full of 20 and 30 somethings on their way to work for a 9am start. Sure enough, as we reached each of the various parks, the load diminished considerably and in the end there were only six of us who were headed for the airport itself! ii)

I was quickly checked in with my bags tagged through to LAS and as the airport was relatively quiet, I was able to enjoy a quiet breakfast while waiting for my flight.

Oh by the way, those of you who are wondering why I'm even writing a TR for this leg as they are usually bog-standard, it's because the previous day Aer Lingus moved to T2 in LHR and I was fizzing with excitement about this - in fact at this stage, I was more excited about this than my trip in First!

In due course we boarded and it did become bog standard - in other words, it took off, I had a G&T and it landed. :o) Of course after that it changed somewhat and it seemed strange not to trundle to those ghastly tubes in T1. We took a route past the VS planes waiting to go to different places, round past the gates where the A380s board at T3 and eventually arrived at an empty T2. Once the jet bridge was in place we followed signs to baggage claim/ Flight Connections. We went upstairs and along a longish corridor parallel to the runway before going down again and still more corridors until we reached the area where Border Control was. It was to the left and was huge....and empty. There would be no delays for my fellow passengers. I however continued on following the signs for Flight Connections and just as I arrived downstairs, a bus came to whisk me away to T5 and my next adventure.

"What, honey lamb!" I hear you say. "No disasters?"

Well, the loo roll holder fell off the wall while I was having my shower...

..... And I stubbed my toe on the way to the bus....

..... And the bus to the airport was jointed.....

.....And.........wait and see!!!!! ): ): ):
#878511 by Bretty
20 Jul 2014, 12:10
David wrote:........ the suspense builds .

Ditto. Can't wait HL.
#878514 by buns
20 Jul 2014, 12:46
HL

I am now glued to me seat for the next thrilling instalment :D

However, I am making a point of not showing this TR to Mrs Buns as she still harangues me for making her take a London Transport bus to Heathrow 15 years ago B)

buns
#878517 by hiljil
20 Jul 2014, 13:46
The imagination is working overtime as to what happens next ..... :( :0
#878558 by ultreen1
20 Jul 2014, 22:39
Looking forward to part 2!
#878643 by marshy11
22 Jul 2014, 11:17
it took off, I had a G&T and it landed.

Perfect. Tells us all we need to know.

Apart from lack of disaster…….I wait with the others in the queue…..
Virgin Atlantic